Sponsored by:

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,223 Likes on 740 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake

Anybody hear about these guys or their product? They claim 15% air flow increase and 15 hp increase. Install seems fairly easy and straightforward. Can't find any reviews on them though.

http://afepower.com/afe-power-52-123...ystem#overview
Old 03-05-2017, 09:50 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Never heard of these guys. Fabspeed or someone else has something similar. Have seen these air intakes around over the years. Don't think many have ever installed them here.

Any air being pulled in back there isn't too cold anyway. Under a hot bumper on top of the engine and under that cover? With these filters being exposed, I assume they need to be cleaned more often?

Maybe just get some BMC filters for a lot less $$?
Old 03-05-2017, 11:56 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Afe has been around a long time. Good products but not exotic.
The following 2 users liked this post by R_Rated:
edirtaynine (11-04-2020), isugoo (02-12-2021)
Old 03-05-2017, 01:00 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

the only thing that would help is if it got all cold outside air into it with no engine bay hot air allowed to enter. I dont know how the stock compares. Havent see the whole thing apart.
But if a 991 is as good as the 997.2, it would be near perfect. All you need is bmc filters
Old 03-05-2017, 07:15 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

I've been pretty certain that aFe are the guys that manufacture the dry (oil-less) filter cones for the Fabspeed intakes since the fabrics seem to look the same and work the same but that's just a guess on my part. This one apparently ships with both the dry and oiled filters. At least since the 991 became MAF-less, you don't have to worry about messing up the MAF sensor with air filter oil.

In the case of this filter, it appears that the snorkels at the top also pull air from the same outside source as the factory intakes, so I doubt that are pulling any more engine air than the OEM filter housing. I previously had a Fabspeed filter on my 997.2 and liked it a lot mostly for the notably louder intake howl, but I don't know if you'll get that here or not. But that was a lot less expensive and at least it was in a little more visible position. This one is pretty danged expensive and you'll never see the prettiness without removing the bumper.

If this were my budget and I didn't already have an upgraded exhaust, I'd be thinking about putting the money towards that ear-candy instead... but of course... this isn't my money.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:40 AM
joeacc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I does sound like you can hear the intake sound difference in their video.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:32 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 274 Likes on 173 Posts

Total horse excrement. How does this airbox produce colder air than the factory airbox when it's in the exact same place as the factory airbox and draws its airflow from the exact same place as factory?

Also, a car engine, at speed, moves a great deal of air. The air that is sucked by the engine into the airbox, through the filters and past the throttle body, into the intake plenum, and down the runners, past the intake valves and into the combustion chamber, also cools all that it touches. Sure, when you're sitting in a traffic jam on a hot summer day all those parts experience heat soak. But when you're ripping down a country road the parts that are touched by the intake airstream are quickly cooled to almost the same temp as the intake air stream.

There seem to be threads on this forum almost on a weekly basis touting the latest bolt-on part that makes a bunch of power, because at the factory they don't know how to design (select one) airboxes, intakes, headers, mufflers, etc. There are very, very few instances with the Porsche 911 line in which a bolt-on aftermarket part on a stock engine makes real power.* A fool and his money are soon parted.

*Header exhausts on the non-header 911's (1975-1994) are one exception.
The following users liked this post:
George from MD (11-03-2020)
Old 03-06-2017, 02:20 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^^^^
Boom - nailed it

Put your well earned dollars into the hands of an experienced instructor - that will pay far greater dividends
George from MD (11-03-2020)
Old 03-06-2017, 07:56 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
Total horse excrement. How does this airbox produce colder air than the factory airbox when it's in the exact same place as the factory airbox and draws its airflow from the exact same place as factory?

Also, a car engine, at speed, moves a great deal of air. The air that is sucked by the engine into the airbox, through the filters and past the throttle body, into the intake plenum, and down the runners, past the intake valves and into the combustion chamber, also cools all that it touches. Sure, when you're sitting in a traffic jam on a hot summer day all those parts experience heat soak. But when you're ripping down a country road the parts that are touched by the intake airstream are quickly cooled to almost the same temp as the intake air stream.

There seem to be threads on this forum almost on a weekly basis touting the latest bolt-on part that makes a bunch of power, because at the factory they don't know how to design (select one) airboxes, intakes, headers, mufflers, etc. There are very, very few instances with the Porsche 911 line in which a bolt-on aftermarket part on a stock engine makes real power.* A fool and his money are soon parted.

*Header exhausts on the non-header 911's (1975-1994) are one exception.
It has round pipes and cone filters with greater surface area for sucking in more air faster.

1. Without a tune there is likely no material benefit and risk outweighs any power gain possibility.

2. Sound will be improved. Again... risk factor for reward.

3. No surprise the 991.2 guys don't care about how their car sounds.
uphoto (02-17-2021)
Old 03-06-2017, 08:36 AM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Deleted.

Last edited by 9914s; 03-06-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:42 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by R_Rated
It has round pipes and cone filters with greater surface area for sucking in more air faster.
But this assumes the stock filters are restrictive. I'll buy you this hokey cone filter setup if you can show that to be the case.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:37 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

aFe Power makes great products. This box is actually closed and uses OEM ducts, which is very positive to eliminate heat soak issues. The performance benefit I see aFe over stock is increased filter surface (cone filters have more surface than flat) and air duct size to the Plenum.

However, I've learned the hard way after trying countless intakes on my other cars in the past. If you have a high end sports car, the OEM intakes are already well engineered. No intakes on the market can beat BMC drop in filters inside a stock box. If the aftermarket intakes don't lose power over stock, it would be a winner on my book. By just looking at the aFe, it should be just as good or better than stock.

Buy aftermarket intakes for looks (which you can't see in a 911) and sound. 15HP gain on a stock 911 is extremely hard to believe.

Kudos to aFe to making intakes for a 911 though. Developing intakes is very costly and time consuming, I'm shocked that they did this for such a small segment of vehicle especially most Porsche owners rarely mod the engine.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:28 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

For $2100 I'd like to see the gains on a dyno chart instead of some numbers in an ad.

uphoto (02-17-2021)
Old 07-06-2018, 09:54 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 677 Posts

DId they ever make one of these for the 991.2? I remember they did a poll, but I can't find it.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:28 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

It would cost one of these manufacturers a couple hundred bucks to do before & after dyno pulls to prove their power claims. But they don't. Because there are no power gains.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake