Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front license plate options on 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 12:43 PM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

The medium is the way to go. I bought it but never actually installed it. I put some outdoor grade Velcro on the bottom of the bumper lip and I attach my license plate whenever I park in an area that is "hot.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:52 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The medium is the way to go. I bought it but never actually installed it. I put some outdoor grade Velcro on the bottom of the bumper lip and I attach my license plate whenever I park in an area that is "hot.
Sounds like an approach I'd want to take as I only really notice problems with meter maids ticketing for missing plates. Do you have any pics of your set up? How do you attach the plate to the Velcro?
Old 07-08-2018, 05:22 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

I tried the Skene bracket and the Rennline tow-hook mount and thought neither of them to be a super good fix. So I resorted to attaching the front plate, with a PCA outer frame, nice and low, with.... 3M All-weather double-sided tape. No holes, no fiddling around, no damage to the bumper etc... It's perfect. And it looks reasonable good being down low and in front of the lower center bumper opening. Would it partially block air-flow to the center radiator in PDK cars? Yes but questionable as to effect. Air can still move around it. The overall effect is one that is more aesthetic, not up high like Porsche has designed their bracket for, and compliant with local laws.

Last edited by Zeus993; 07-09-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:36 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 256 Posts

Do you have PPF on the front of your car? Curious if the 3M tape will tug on the film when removed. Pics?

DaveGee
Old 07-09-2018, 10:53 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

My front plate installation starts on post #3:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1062...ont-plate.html
Old 07-12-2018, 09:13 PM
granjour
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm sure this topic is still relevant so here are some pics of the Porsche 911 (991) 2012-2018 rho-plate V2. I'm happy with how it looks and really like the offset stance. Hope this helps someone needing a solution

Drop down bar does not contact the bumper at all, even under pressure

Liking my MagnaGraphix rock guards too

and apologies for the giant photos..
The following users liked this post:
GVIFlyer (07-08-2019)
Old 07-12-2018, 10:07 PM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

@granjour ... thank you for posting your license set-up, looks like the right way to go while not interfering with any of the parking sensors or ACC sensors. I really like that the plate doesn't break up the clean leading lines of the hood. Even seems like you don't really notice it when looking toward the front of the car when standing on the driver's side.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:08 PM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

@Granjour - like the rock guards. also, was your two tone side view mirror stock?

not sure about the offset and drop down bar on the Rho, but it takes care of the sensor issue - still debating the Skene.
I have the Platypus tow hook offset on my Golf R - but with the Porsche not sure yet - I may just give in and get them drilled, unless I go the 3M route
Old 07-12-2018, 10:17 PM
granjour
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by saundebn
@granjour ... thank you for posting your license set-up, looks like the right way to go while not interfering with any of the parking sensors or ACC sensors. I really like that the plate doesn't break up the clean leading lines of the hood. Even seems like you don't really notice it when looking toward the front of the car when standing on the driver's side.
Glad it helped. When the mounting plate is installed 'centered' on the drop down bar it interfered with the sensor, so I had to move it right and down one setting. Best case would be no front plate but I don't need the hassle

Originally Posted by blurum
@Granjour - like the rock guards. also, was your two tone side view mirror stock?

not sure about the offset and drop down bar on the Rho, but it takes care of the sensor issue - still debating the Skene.
I have the Platypus tow hook offset on my Golf R - but with the Porsche not sure yet - I may just give in and get them drilled, unless I go the 3M route
The side mirrors are the sport design with gloss black bottom from Porsche
Old 07-12-2018, 11:38 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by granjour
I'm sure this topic is still relevant so here are some pics of the Porsche 911 (991) 2012-2018 rho-plate V2. I'm happy with how it looks and really like the offset stance. Hope this helps someone needing a solution

Drop down bar does not contact the bumper at all, even under pressure
Not bad, but mine is cooler

Old 07-13-2018, 10:47 AM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm wondering now if installing a body-color painted rho-plate v2 would be a viable option? On the Carrera White car with other black features, it looks OK in black but on some of the other color cars, it might look better in the body color in an attempt to hide it a bit more.

Thoughts?
Old 07-13-2018, 11:17 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Not bad, but mine is cooler

I agree. How do I do that?
Old 07-16-2018, 03:59 AM
2016mwk4sporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics on Front plate

This worked well and did not affect my sensors

I went with the Skene medium and placed it right in the middle of the front bumper. It went on fine, attaches to the upper portion underneath the inside indentation and is holding well and looks good. Ill attach a photo once I can get a decent one. when I take it off you will not be able to tell there was one there.

Last edited by 2016mwk4sporsche; 07-22-2018 at 02:36 PM. Reason: update with pics
Old 07-16-2018, 01:38 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Does anyone have or know of a suction cup based solution? I was at a C&C event a few weeks back and someone mentioned it to me but I forgot to follow up with him to see the solution. The thinking is you’d place it on when parked in public areas where you’re likely to get a ticket. I’ve search but haven’t found anything reasonable.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:43 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
Does anyone have or know of a suction cup based solution? I was at a C&C event a few weeks back and someone mentioned it to me but I forgot to follow up with him to see the solution. The thinking is you’d place it on when parked in public areas where you’re likely to get a ticket. I’ve search but haven’t found anything reasonable.
oooh I like this thought... although I think it would wreak havoc with PPF.

Quick Reply: Front license plate options on 991.2