Put on my front plate.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 12:37 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts
Default Put on my front plate.

Going on a tour next weekend and the local constabulary is aware and out in force. I haven't run this car with a front plate since I got it a year and a half ago, but I want to make sure I'm not giving a cheap excuse to pull me over. The tour went this weekend as well and several people were pulled over.

I didn't spend too much time on it since I'll likely pull it off again. So it's not 100% straight or centered. Affixed with 3M trim tape which works great. Has held my Cayenne front plate for almost 5 years and over 60k Miles with zero issues. When I pulled the front plate off my Lexus after 3 years it came off easily with no damage. The beauty of this solution is I can stick it wherever and however I want, unlike other solutions like a tow hook mount. And you can curve the plate with the bumper.

With the black TX plate it's not terrible. Wish it didn't have the white border. Could always color it or stick on an all black plate frame. Yes, the car and the garage need a cleaning...

Old 04-08-2018, 12:44 PM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 150 Posts

Nice. I’m also looking for a solution for longer rides here in Colorado. I feel the like 3M (or comparable) has been the norm in Europe for awhile.

Are you planning on keeping it on there?
Old 04-08-2018, 01:14 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

That's a great idea and would use that except for a complicating factor for me.

I had to do something different with my GTS. Many times I run the car with a front plate, sometimes I do not. That depends on where I am going and what I am doing. The complicating factor for me is I have a laser system and there is a sensor in the middle of the front bumper cover. MUSICAR made the components and I did the installation. I asked MUSICAR to make the center sensor mountable using rare earth magnets. I needed an arrangement that would allow using the front tag or not, but always using the front sensor. The pictures show what I wound up with. In the photo with the plate, it's difficult to see but the sensor is below the plate. The aluminum angle with magnets is what holds the sensor when using the plate. When not using the plate, there are magnets inside the bumper cover to hold the sensor in place. MUSICAR machined a slot in the sensor which mates with the plate frame alignment 'finger' and is always centered on the car, although the magnets guarantee the sensor will always go back to the same spot. The black tape is 1/16" closed cell foam used for cushioning to make sure there is no direct magnet to bumper contact which might cause abrasion. I had the front bumper cover off for the laser installation so adding the magnets was no big deal. There are 7 high strength magnets holding the plate mount and it takes quite a tug to get it off. The backside of the plate mount is ugly because I tried a few different magnet locations before I landed on the final locations for them. No one sees the backside of the plate mount so it being ugly doesn't matter.

But having said all of that, if I didn't have the complication, I would use your tape idea as it is effective and easy.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:30 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Cool. #DontEverDrillIfYouCanAvoidIt
Old 04-08-2018, 01:43 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Elegant solution to a tricky situation. Nice one.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:43 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Cool. #DontEverDrillIfYouCanAvoidIt
Zero reason to drill. There is always another solution.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:54 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Another solution is the Millworks plate holder that screws into the tow hook. Easy to install/remove without tape. I had my car up to 160mph without any problem with the Millworks too.

The downside is that it doesn't look as good offset and it interferes with proximity sensors.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:59 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

+1 to TorqueChap's and Needsdecaf's comments. I'd keep paying no plate fines to avoid drilling the bumper.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:01 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Alternatively and to fully accommodate the road pirates you can simply replace your front plate with a bulls eye because it serves a primary function as a nice flat section to bounce laser off of.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:29 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
Another solution is the Millworks plate holder that screws into the tow hook. Easy to install/remove without tape. I had my car up to 160mph without any problem with the Millworks too.

The downside is that it doesn't look as good offset and it interferes with proximity sensors.
I strongly dislike the offset look of tow hook holders. And as you said, I think the only way to mount it with the sensors would be full outboard which would end up covering the DRL / indicator.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:30 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blepski
Alternatively and to fully accommodate the road pirates you can simply replace your front plate with a bulls eye because it serves a primary function as a nice flat section to bounce laser off of.
Lol.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:31 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by seanhaus

Are you planning on keeping it on there?
Dunno. Going to live with it for a bit and see how badly it bugs me. Will cover up the white borders with black tape or sharpie to see how that looks.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:38 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 228 Posts

Three years in Germany and, of course, front plates are required for the speed cameras. I think the Euro plates look fine on our cars. Too bad the USA can't go to this style of front plate.

Here's a shot in northern Sweden last summer on an adventure.

Thankful to now be in a no front plate state (Alabama) and able to keep my Euro plate on.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:01 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
Three years in Germany and, of course, front plates are required for the speed cameras. I think the Euro plates look fine on our cars. Too bad the USA can't go to this style of front plate.

Here's a shot in northern Sweden last summer on an adventure.

Thankful to now be in a no front plate state (Alabama) and able to keep my Euro plate on.

Yeah, it's not nearly as bad with a Euro plate.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:32 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I strongly dislike the offset look of tow hook holders. And as you said, I think the only way to mount it with the sensors would be full outboard which would end up covering the DRL / indicator.
So do I. I would rather pay a periodic fine than put any plate on the front. I mounted my millworks like you suggested above but it still interfered with the sensors. Might be an option if you are worried about periodic road trips or something. Glad I live in a state with no front plate requirement.

Quick Reply: Put on my front plate.