Sponsored by:

Front license plate options on 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 11:10 PM
gregv8
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Front license plate options on 991.2

Does anyone actually mount their front license plates? I've never seen a 991 with them on in person. Seems there's really no place for it.
And those with the ACC radar dome, that's gotta be impossible.
How is everyone's experience with cops (especially in the north east)? NY/CT
On some of my prior cars, I didn't always have one and occasionally I would get into minor trouble for it. I am wondering if having demonstrably no placement options can ever fly as an excuse.

When do you ever get into trouble you might be asking? For me, it was typically at toll gates. Since you're stopped, the cop can give you a hard time for just about anything.

I saw some recovery hook mounts, but they look silly, and also seem to restrict aerodynamics.

What do you guys do?
Old 01-26-2017, 11:24 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I went through this whole thing when I got my 991.2 C2s. Finally ended up saying the hell with it and did the standard Porsche mount that screws into the bumper. It's fine. The tow hook typed don't put holes in the bumper but I did not like the lack of symmetry.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:26 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by gregv8
Does anyone actually mount their front license plates? I've never seen a 991 with them on in person. Seems there's really no place for it.
And those with the ACC radar dome, that's gotta be impossible.
How is everyone's experience with cops (especially in the north east)? NY/CT
On some of my prior cars, I didn't always have one and occasionally I would get into min or trouble for it. I am wondering if having demonstrably no placement options can ever fly as an excuse.

When do you ever get into trouble you might be asking? For me, it was typically at toll gates. Since you're stopped, the cop can give you a hard time for just about anything.

I saw some recovery hook mounts, but they look silly, and also seem to restrict aerodynamics.

What do you guys do?
There is a different OEM bracket for cars with ACC. This is what it looks like on mine:

Front plates are required in my state and I have been pulled over before for no plate when I had a Corvette. Not worth the trouble or extra attention for me.

Last edited by Hurricane; 01-27-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:01 AM
Noor Ahmed
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out: http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/Gallery.shtml

Holes are not drilled in front but upwards - invisible.
Good quality.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:10 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the tow hook one, I like it just fine and don't mind the look. Only problem is it makes my proximity sensor scream. So I have to hit that button every time I get in the car to turn off the sensors. Worth it for now. I don't want to roll holes.
The following users liked this post:
Cityfisher (01-28-2024)
Old 01-27-2017, 01:57 PM
puppycat
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want a tow hook mount, I recommend the rho-plate. There's an option for an extender to lower the mount so your parking sensors work. I installed it on my 991.1 last year when I moved to WA and front plates are required (bummer).

High quality, looks good. There's a thread somewhere on the forum that lead me to it.

http://www.rhoplate.com/product-porsche.html
Old 01-27-2017, 06:45 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Used a tow hook mount kindly supplied by Porsche when I did ED this Summer. (Ironically, it's made by one of the market leaders here in the States.)

Only real hitch is I had to deactivate the parking sensor since the plate location blocks a sensor and sets off a false reading.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:24 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts

I just purchased a skene-design and will get it installed on Wednesday. I have a 991.2 and the application chart doesn't address it. I think I can make it work and will report back next week.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:40 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Al, which Skene model (reach) did you get?
Old 01-28-2017, 09:01 AM
AlBinVA
Racer

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Al, which Skene model (reach) did you get?
I ordered the medium bracket.

Here is what I know so far. The horizontal lip (bottom of bumper) is only about 1/4" deep. The top flange of the black grill insert allows for 2.5" to 2.75" of depth.

My belief is that the top flange of the grill insert is substantial enough to hold the bracket in place when used in conjunction with the two sided tape. I got the longer bracket (as opposed to the extra short) to allow for more bearing space for tape adhesion. The part I haven't quite figured out is the ability to get the horizontal bracket drilled/screwed in optimal location because of the protrusion of the black fins. The horizontal bracket comes drilled for screw installation but I am also unsure if a new hole needs to be drilled.

For these reasons, I am taking car to an extremely qualified Porsche indy shop to get the car on a lift and use their expertise to get this done properly.

My car sits too low and I am too old and too big to lay down on the garage floor and do this myself

I will report back on Wednesday.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:52 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

I had a Skene on my '13 Boxster S - it was great. Bought another for my '15 TT and it fell off while driving within a month (both installed by P dealer).
Went to a tow hook mount on my '16 BGTS (don't remember brand) and have a Cravenspeed tow hook mount on my S550. They forgot to put the down bracket in my Cravenspeed order. I emailed them and it was postmarked the same day.
Several choices out there now.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:12 AM
AlBinVA
Racer

Two things about Tow hook mount:
It creates an issue with parking sensors, and
creates unbalanced look (subjective)

I am hoping skene works, otherwise I will probably go with traditional Porsche bumper mount
Old 01-28-2017, 10:55 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBinVA

I am hoping skene works, otherwise I will probably go with traditional Porsche bumper mount
I thought about the tow hook mount but the asymmetry bothered me.

Plus, since I am in a state that requires a front plate and will definitely pull you over and ticket you for it, I figured that I would have the tow hook plate on all the time anyways. As for holes in the bumper...I will have a plate on the front for as long as I own the car and I am not going to worry about the next owner.

For those with ACC, though - I posted earlier that there is a different OEM mounting bracket - make sure you get the right one!
Old 01-28-2017, 11:21 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

I finally got ticketed last summer with my 991.1 TT for not having a front plate attached, after 11 years running plateless (on the front) Porsches. So I drilled and mounted the stock front bumper bracket.

I REALLY dislike the tow hook mounts, for all the reasons already discussed on this thread. It's a personal OCD thing I'm sure!

If there are any other suggestions that might allow avoiding having to drill my 991.2 front bumper, I'm all eyes and ears!

Old 01-28-2017, 12:18 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBinVA

The Cravenspeed has a down bracket that's adjustable, so there is no interference with either sensors or cameras on my S550.
The asymmetry is non negotiable obviously.
I would rather have that than drill.

Quick Reply: Front license plate options on 991.2