Sponsored by:

Looking for opinions on H&R Springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 02:02 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Looking for opinions on H&R Springs

I'm ready to get rid of some fender well gap, and strongly considering H&R springs for my SPASM equipped C2S. I've been researching the TechArt springs too, but I'm just not completely satisfied with the amount of drop they provide, HOWEVER, I know that if you go too low you start making compromises.

Is there anyone here running H&R springs that noticed a decrease in performance and regretted going that low? Obviously driveways and speed bumps become more of a challenge, but my main concern is adverse changes to the handling characteristics.

All feedback welcome. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2017, 02:59 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

My tuning guy uses TechArt more than H&R because drop isnt as drastic. Not going to touch my 991.2 but SQ5 is on H&R and is fine.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:06 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

I believe TechArt springs are manufactured by Eibach (supposedly to their specs ?)

Drop is somewhat less on the Eibach branded , same w/TechArt.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:39 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,024 Likes on 609 Posts

I went through this same process. I ended up with the TechArt. As much as I love a low drop, the TechArt look just right to me, with relatively little compromise in Daily Driving. Any lower and the City of San Francisco would be eating my bumper on a daily basis.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:13 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Code
I'm ready to get rid of some fender well gap, and strongly considering H&R springs for my SPASM equipped C2S. I've been researching the TechArt springs too, but I'm just not completely satisfied with the amount of drop they provide, HOWEVER, I know that if you go too low you start making compromises.

Is there anyone here running H&R springs that noticed a decrease in performance and regretted going that low? Obviously driveways and speed bumps become more of a challenge, but my main concern is adverse changes to the handling characteristics.

All feedback welcome. Thanks!
I run H&R Sport Springs in my 991.2 C4S. I was able to get rid of fender gap while retaining the great ride of the car. I've also run H&R Sports in my Audi R8, RS5 and before that in a 02' C4S with the same consistent results. Two thumbs up!
Old 01-26-2017, 09:26 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mac10
I run H&R Sport Springs in my 991.2 C4S. I was able to get rid of fender gap while retaining the great ride of the car. I've also run H&R Sports in my Audi R8, RS5 and before that in a 02' C4S with the same consistent results. Two thumbs up!
How difficult was the install and how long did it take? Anything else needed besides the springs?
Old 01-26-2017, 10:56 PM
studlee
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have techart. i believe it will lower 10mm lower than spasm which is perfect for me. i went from pasm to techart height and did not notice any difference in ride quality.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:48 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Thanks very much for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it!
Old 01-27-2017, 03:19 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,024 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by studlee
i have techart. i believe it will lower 10mm lower than spasm which is perfect for me. i went from pasm to techart height and did not notice any difference in ride quality.
It's def lower than SPASM, I have a SPASM equipped car and the techart spring made the perfect drop IMO.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:46 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 147 Posts

I have had H&R and I didn't like them (on a different car). They were to "hard" for me. I want stock'ish ride but lower so I went with TechArt. I think they are ok but I actually bought a full coil-over to replace them in the spring. Here's the TechArt on my car. I cannot image going much lower.
Attached Images   
Old 01-27-2017, 04:10 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossing
How difficult was the install and how long did it take? Anything else needed besides the springs?
Be aware there is more than one type of H&R spring for the same application, they make different levels depending on what you're looking to do. Stick with the 'Sport or OE Sport' springs as they give you the lower look without sacrificing ride quality. Their other models are more track oriented so obviously they will give a much firmer ride.

No other parts needed, just springs. I had mine installed at the dealer, about 2 hours labor.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossing
dont forget the alignment as well - which you should probably do later once the springs have settled ...
Old 01-29-2017, 03:19 AM
whoadude
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I went through this same decision trying to pick between hr and techart. After looking at every image I could possibly find I decided on the hrs simply because I felt the techarts wouldn't provide that much of a difference in height from spasm. I've had them on for over a year now and totally happy with them. Ride quality similar to the oem spasm.

Name:  TAG%20Carrera%20S%20HRE%20Classic-1_zpsdg9lbczr.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  190.6 KB
Old 01-29-2017, 09:02 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Tpup
I have had H&R and I didn't like them (on a different car). They were to "hard" for me. I want stock'ish ride but lower so I went with TechArt. I think they are ok but I actually bought a full coil-over to replace them in the spring. Here's the TechArt on my car. I cannot image going much lower.
What coilovers did you end up buying? Do you like them?
Old 01-29-2017, 06:03 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tpup

Originally Posted by whoadude
I went through this same decision trying to pick between hr and techart. After looking at every image I could possibly find I decided on the hrs simply because I felt the techarts wouldn't provide that much of a difference in height from spasm. I've had them on for over a year now and totally happy with them. Ride quality similar to the oem spasm.
Thank you both for sharing your experience and pics, both cars looks great! I'm really starting to lean towards H&R now.

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions on H&R Springs