Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 4s vs Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017 | 02:49 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by gregv8
Some guy at Porsche's marketing department is getting a big bonus next year.
Just like the seamless power delivery of a PDK transmission, they smoothly drag you up. You start with a base model because "at 89k it's doable". And every little thing "is only a little bit more, but you really need to have that one thing". Before you know it, they drop the bass.
You need almost every option. PDK if u don't drive manual. A Sunroof is loved by many. Leather interior....a decent stereo....Sport Chrono....to get the sport plus and the ****.... You really need these things. $110k 4S easily becomes $140k with just a few options.
Old 01-04-2017 | 04:18 PM
LnC993
Pro

Originally Posted by digistyl3
The Turbo is stupid fast, as you said. However, nothing accelerates like a Tesla. NOTHING!
But Tesla can only perform two ludicrous mode launches at the most before it need to be recharged. It sort of like male orgasm, once it climaxed, it needs recovery time.

Porsche Turbo does not need recovery time.
Old 01-04-2017 | 04:35 PM
planet
Instructor

50 launches in a row...

Old 01-04-2017 | 04:36 PM
babyjocko
Instructor

Originally Posted by LnC993
But Tesla can only perform two ludicrous mode launches at the most before it need to be recharged. It sort of like male orgasm, once it climaxed, it needs recovery time.

Porsche Turbo does not need recovery time.
Perhaps true for a "Launch," but not true when just flooring the accelerator regardless of the battery conditioning. The difference may be less than 0.2 seconds. If I were to accelerate in Ludicrous mode 10 times in a row, the 10th time will blow you away just as well.

I bet everyone on this forum who has dissed a Tesla has not driven a Tesla. It's crazy. Porsche is not the best at everything. There is no car in production today that can accelerate faster than a Tesla -- with or without battery conditioning.

I would bet on my Tesla 50 times in a row against any 911.
Old 01-04-2017 | 04:46 PM
planet
Instructor

Originally Posted by babyjocko
Porsche is not the best at everything.
Quite so, especially since very often "best" can be subjective: about character, and not easily measured in numbers. That's the premise of this thread, and even most of the .1 vs .2 threads. Also, the 911 (or any car) doesn't need to be the best at everything; it simply needs to deliver a package which delights the customer.
Old 01-04-2017 | 04:50 PM
babyjocko
Instructor

Acceleration is not subjective. It is absolutely measurable. There is nothing left to the imagination or emotions when it comes to acceleration. One is either faster than the other or not....with a less than 0.01% chance of landing the coin on its side (a photo finish tie).
Old 01-04-2017 | 05:09 PM
digistyl3
Advanced

Buying a Porsche is an emotional decision, not really a numbers one. I've driven the new Turbo S. While it was mind-bending, nothing could make me laugh uncontrollably like a 981 Cayman GTS. I've been trying to convince myself to get a 911, but that 981 (even with less power) makes me giggle like no other Porsche I've driven.

@OP: drive both back to back. Whichever puts a bigger grin on your face, and makes you the wettest, that's the winner. Being faster doesn't necessarily result in one being happier, but it could in your case. Only you know this. The looks are equally important. See which one makes your heart pump faster just by looking at it (FWIW, the Turbo with the side intakes looks way more balanced to me than the Carrera, but aesthetics are subjective).
Old 01-04-2017 | 05:09 PM
Dgags
Racer

Originally Posted by babyjocko
That's what I've been saying. Although, the Turbo S comes close. This is why I don't need a Turbo or Turbo S. C4S will be my fun car while my Model S P90D is my show off car.
Where do you live, Berkeley?

Maximum acceleration is available only when the battery’s state of charge is above 95 percent and “max battery perform*ance mode” is set on the control screen. When we test, we average two acceleration runs in opposite directions to eliminate wind and grade effects. Normally that’s no issue, but because the Model S’s performance deteriorates with heat build-up in the battery pack, controllers, wiring, and electric motors, pausing at least three minutes between acceleration runs is necessary.

You hope the rush lasts to orbital escape velocity but, alas, it soon peters out. Roll alongside a Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat at 40 mph, for example, and the Mopar beats the Tesla to 150 mph by more than six seconds.

Sorry for the hijack.
Old 01-04-2017 | 05:58 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

I gather the Tesla rush is really in the 0-10 jerk that comes together with a great 0-60 speed. The motor trend test had the TTS outrunning the tesla at all speeds but 0-30 was the lowest range tested. The thing is, the turbo or any ICE builds torque whereas it doesn't build at all with a tesla - it's all there right at once.

981/Tesla might be a fun combo. Seems the C4S/TT is a halfway point between them.

Anybody know the weight difference between a near-equally equipped 991.2 C4S and TT?

The Porsche website lists 1510 kg for a C4S PDK vs. 1595 kg for the TT, so 85kg/187lbs, but a lot of the weight adding TT standard features would be optioned onto a well equipped C4S. (Bose, seats, maybe rear axle steering, maybe leather). Wondering if +100 or +150 lbs is a more representative figure. Anyhow it's probably enough to feel.
Old 01-04-2017 | 06:04 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
You need almost every option. PDK if u don't drive manual. A Sunroof is loved by many. Leather interior....a decent stereo....Sport Chrono....to get the sport plus and the ****.... You really need these things. $110k 4S easily becomes $140k with just a few options.
Mine didn't have many...and as a cab it was 149K ish. There were some stupid ones the dealer ordered it with but they discounted the car enough so they would not bother me.....I find cars on the floor discount better than an ordered car...and I got lucky with an almost perfect one on the floor

Ive driven the turbo....honestly the c4S engine is a better drive around town....its as perfect of a daily driver porsche as you can get

I too could have went for a turbo, just didnt see the reason.

As far as depreciation ask the dealer for the lease residuals on each model you are looking for after 36 months...that will tell you how much your car is worth...the C4S is suprisingly good....even teh base car people love is not that great
Old 01-04-2017 | 06:26 PM
budrichard
Banned

My 991.2 C4S stickered for $138345.
I ordered it December 2014 before any performance figures were available.
I did consider a Turbo S but did not want a rear wing deployed all the time as this C4S is a daily year round driver in Wisconsin for me.
Cost was never a consideration.
Purchase what you want without all the 'best value', 'resale value' or whatever analysis!
If the car was not a winter daily driver for me, i might have purchased a Turbo S to have the 'biggest stick on the block', so to speak.
I may order a Turbo S in the future anyway if I decide running about in a 911 in the snow is not for me but for now the performance of the C4S is staggering especially in Launch Mode. So far, the few people who have driven it or ridden with me, including one Z06 owner, all say it's the fastest thing they ever been in. One new Corvette owner, asked me not to do Launch Mode again.
I am very very happy with the car.-Richard

Last edited by budrichard; 01-04-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2017 | 07:22 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Have to ask from those that feel this way: why does it seem reasonable to drive a C4S in the snow but not as much a TT/TTS? Or am I taking the wrong message?
Old 01-04-2017 | 07:46 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by ace37
Have to ask from those that feel this way: why does it seem reasonable to drive a C4S in the snow but not as much a TT/TTS? Or am I taking the wrong message?

A rear spoiler isn't all season??
Old 01-04-2017 | 07:48 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by budrichard

So far, the few people who have driven it or ridden with me, including one Z06 owner, all say it's the fastest thing they ever been in. One new Corvette owner, asked me not to do Launch Mode again.

He might need some Depends if he launches in a Turbo S.

Name:  photo159.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  494.9 KB
Old 01-04-2017 | 09:40 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by planet
Good Lord

I did the Porsche driving experience and I was blown away by how tough these Turbos are. 100 degree weather and these guys were just blasting these cars around Barber over and over and over again. Launch control every single time. Just brutal. Not a hitch. Very, very impressive.

Quick Reply: 991.2 4s vs Turbo