991.2 4s vs Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 06:53 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Thanks all. This was really helpful

Originally Posted by STG
If spending anything north of $140K on a Carrera S, makes sense to go for big brother Turbo. No doubt about it. Will also be much better with depreciation too. You have to consider that too. The .2 Turbo is being more closely watched with production #'s too. You won't see the discounting like the .1's.

A reasonable S build would be $130K MAX.

You will lose the extra $14K you'd pay for a Turbo in extra depreciation alone on the 4S in the FIRST year with that MSRP. The Turbo will be a FREE upgrade considering their values in the future with plenty of $ to spare. I'm guessing you'll come ahead like $20-25K over 5 years.

You will thank me later
Exactly my thoughts. High option car vs low option car at the same price point should favor the latter in resale. Particularly if the "low option" car is very close in build to the high option model.

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I don't those two builds are apples to apples....
It's not. The C4s was loaded w/exterior packages and whatnot. But that's stuff I don't actually want or need on the Turbo.

Originally Posted by FiveRiversGTS
1). When upgrading my S to GTS the premium for insurance went up by only $50/year. The TTS would have been increased by $1250/year. I call the insurance company and provide the exact VIN # to get the exact quote and factor this into my decision.

2) If the logic used is I should have gotten a TT, you might say I should have gotten a TTS?

But I understand your plight. Tough Decision.
Yikes. I sent a VIN for a '17 Turbo and my premium increases $260 per 6 months. So it's doable. Or course this is replacing a GT4, which probably runs high.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:16 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 187 Posts

I had the same dilemma and wound up with a C4S order with pccb, sport package, pdcc, spasm, and leather interior. Every time I thought about the TT I said if I do that I should go TTS. Got a bit out of hand so I ordered the C4S. Also I leave something on the table for my next one.
Eric
The following users liked this post:
Johndani (01-14-2021)
Old 01-03-2017, 07:26 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 592 Posts

I'll go with Turbo
I agree with your SA, that the Turbo will depreciate less than Fully loaded C4S . Unfortunately, a fully loaded 4S to most, not all, is the same as a lightly optioned 4S .
Old 01-03-2017, 07:51 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I had ordered a C2S with a sticker price just under $140k to replace my 997 GTS. A week before it locked I talked with my SA and ordered a TT instead. A large portion of the C2 options I had came standard on the TT, and for me the TT was more of an icon. I wanted to try one at some point and this is a good time and phase in our lives for it.

I did end up spending quite a bit more as I optioned the TT fairly heavily instead of equivalently. But I'm very happy with the decision. I was excited for the C2S but now I'm childishly giddy for the TT. Should be here and ready for me in a week or two.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:58 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

There is no bad decision either way but I agree with Northern 911. I think the 991.2 4S is a more elegant and better looking car with its wide body, smooth lines(no rear spoiler or side air vents) and the model specific rear tail light. With a tune(waiting on Cobb like most people) the 4S will be nearly as fast as a turbo model.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:03 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

An interesting conundrum indeed. From my experience you should buy the car that you actually want. Thus if you prefer the clean lines of the 4S (I do too) - I would go for that one. Option it exactly the way you want it and you will be a very happy camper.

Don't chase the numbers (e.g. 0-60, they are both very, very fast)
Old 01-03-2017, 08:08 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

You und finitely have to like the look of the currrent Turbo body style too. It's quite a bit different from even the wide body C4
Old 01-03-2017, 08:20 PM
famous shoes
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Insurance for the TT is a real issue. I never considered the Turbo because I didn't think it would be practical for a DD. However, when I told my agent I planned to purchase a 991.2 C2S he said, "it's not the Turbo, it it?". He thought the Turbo would be difficult to underwrite. My rates for my C2S increased only marginally over my 997.2.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:39 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ace37
I had ordered a C2S with a sticker price just under $140k to replace my 997 GTS. A week before it locked I talked with my SA and ordered a TT instead. A large portion of the C2 options I had came standard on the TT, and for me the TT was more of an icon. I wanted to try one at some point and this is a good time and phase in our lives for it.

I did end up spending quite a bit more as I optioned the TT fairly heavily instead of equivalently. But I'm very happy with the decision. I was excited for the C2S but now I'm childishly giddy for the TT. Should be here and ready for me in a week or two.
Agree - I think it was one of your posts that put the idea in my head, actually.

Originally Posted by mac10
There is no bad decision either way but I agree with Northern 911. I think the 991.2 4S is a more elegant and better looking car with its wide body, smooth lines(no rear spoiler or side air vents) and the model specific rear tail light. With a tune(waiting on Cobb like most people) the 4S will be nearly as fast as a turbo model.
Originally Posted by randr
An interesting conundrum indeed. From my experience you should buy the car that you actually want. Thus if you prefer the clean lines of the 4S (I do too) - I would go for that one. Option it exactly the way you want it and you will be a very happy camper.

Don't chase the numbers (e.g. 0-60, they are both very, very fast)
I can see preferring the lines of the C4. I think it's beautiful. That said, the Turbo is an icon for me. I also happen to love the looks - it has monster presence. I've obsessed with black 911 Turbos since I saw Condorman back in the early 80s. Plus, it's an end game car. I've driven the Carrera and it's fast, no doubt, but the Turbo is just stupid fast. 200mph and 0-60 faster than a McLaren F1. Just the idea makes me laugh, even if I never come close to exploring those limits.

Plus, part of me was a little worried about getting the C4 and regretting the choice - not just with the Turbo, but the upcoming GTS. The Turbo exists on it's own plane, so I'm not as obsessed about what's next. I mean - can they really make the thing any faster??

Originally Posted by famous shoes
Insurance for the TT is a real issue. I never considered the Turbo because I didn't think it would be practical for a DD. However, when I told my agent I planned to purchase a 991.2 C2S he said, "it's not the Turbo, it it?". He thought the Turbo would be difficult to underwrite. My rates for my C2S increased only marginally over my 997.2.
My insurance goes up, but I talked to a rep and gave them a VIN of a nearly identical build and I didn't get any push back on it. I mean, it's not like it's a Koenigsegg or something. Of course, I have no speeding tickets on my record so maybe that's part of it.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:25 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
My current build on a 991.2 Carrera 4s ...
If I were to build out a 991.2 Turbo ... the delta is ~$14k. I'm starting to think that the Turbo is, in a weird way, a better value.
This is precisely how my '15 991.1 C4S became a '15 991.1 Turbo (non-S.)

If you can incinerate $145k on a car, then an extra $20k or so shouldn't change your blood pressure that much. It didn't for me. What it did do though, was to convince me to just go all-out and get exactly what I wanted along with ED.

On the other hand, I'm not a flipper and had zero interest in resale value or spec'ing it for the second or third buyer's sensibilities.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:38 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

Not to muddy the waters, but I also had the same dilemma, for full disclosure I'm also a CPA and agree completely with STG's analysis. However I went with a C4S. To me I could "feel" the TT's extra weight. Yes, there's extra power there, but not a whole lot more. Does it matter? It depends how you drive and more importantly, getting used to the car.

My .2 C4S had an MSRP of $142K. For me I liked having what the TT had - rear wheel steering, AWD and I was going PDK regardless, but I went with the lighter car and I couldn't be happier. Will I take a bath when I trade it in? You bet. Am I lovin' every day with it? You bet. So my advice is drive both - typically there might be a used or "punched" .1 TT on the lot - drive it. The TT is also really wide - that's what I came away with - really wide and noticeably heavier. It's a different beast, certainly more recognizable, but no matter which beast you chose it's up to us to tame our beasts -and each beast can only have one master (i.e. each car has its unique pluses and minuses and it's up to us to figure out how to maximize the positive and minimize the negative - that's where the real enjoyment comes in as well as our development as skillful drivers). Enjoy your hunt!
Old 01-03-2017, 10:54 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

The only one issue with the baby Turbo C4S and big bro Turbo is Sport Exhaust Noise. At least in C4S you do get the rumbling noises......but with the price difference one should go to Turbo.

I feel Porsche is copying Apple's model here on up sell. Show all the models, but make the person who wants fully optioned C4S just go for Turbo model.

It is a challenging choice
Old 01-03-2017, 11:04 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,779 Likes on 5,141 Posts

I think you're focusing a bit on the wrong issue -- i.e., the price difference of 14k.

I think what you should really ask yourself is this: "Which car do I want more, irrespective of the price (or price difference)?"

The C4S and the Turbo are not really interchangeable cars, nor is the former simply a "baby brother" of the latter. The two, while very similar, do drive differently due in no small part to the different engine / turbo setups and the weight of each car.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:15 PM
babyjocko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure how you equipped your C4S, but my C4S compared to a comparably equipped Turbo is $25G difference. And, that's with the base Turbo wheels vs. the $2370 Spyder wheels on the C4S.

[edit]
By the way, if I were to option the Turbo wheels for the C4S (same price as the Spyder wheels) the difference would be >$27G.

Comparably equipped, they don't come close. Sure, you could option up a C4S to surpass a base Turbo in price. But, once you add those options on a Turbo, it shoots the price up. And, Porsche USA does not offer packages on the Turbo, which result in even better value for the C4S.

Last edited by babyjocko; 01-03-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:32 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for the continuing feedback.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think you're focusing a bit on the wrong issue -- i.e., the price difference of 14k.

I think what you should really ask yourself is this: "Which car do I want more, irrespective of the price (or price difference)?"

The C4S and the Turbo are not really interchangeable cars, nor is the former simply a "baby brother" of the latter. The two, while very similar, do drive differently due in no small part to the different engine / turbo setups and the weight of each car.
I've driven the 991.2 pretty thoroughly. I've had limited experience in the 991.2 Turbo, but it was pretty searing. I am coming from a GT4, so this is a pretty radical change. But if I was prioritizing weight and pure feel, I wouldn't be changing. If I'm going to exchange the virtues of the GT4 for power, then I want POWER. Not that the C4s is slow (it is not), but the Turbo is impractically and stupidly violent in it's power, but still completely drivable. I find that intriguing.

Originally Posted by babyjocko
Not sure how you equipped your C4S, but my C4S compared to a comparably equipped Turbo is $25G difference. And, that's with the base Turbo wheels vs. the $2370 Spyder wheels on the C4S.
Clearly I overbuilt the C4s, which is where the value component comes in. I built it to where I was happy with it. Same with the Turbo. Ends up that I don't need as much on the Turbo to be happy. I know I'm not supposed to care about future resale and that I'm losing money either way, but it's a factor.

Quick Reply: 991.2 4s vs Turbo