Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 mile thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 12:36 PM
teambell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do love that people are not satisfied with certain qualities of the 911. For me, it ensures that I will continue to benefit from the good ideas, demand for better features and quality that will be built on and around the one reason I buy this car - performance. I don't track, so I really don't even know about this cars true ability but it satisfies me beyond imagination.

I learned a time ago that when I buy a new car, my expectations for fit and finish (OMG the first scratch or dent!!) and ear for quirky sounds tend to lower my enjoyment. Now I want to drive and enjoy. CPO fits the bill for me, keeps me whole in the big complex parts and the squeaks and rattles I address immediately with the tachometer!
Old 12-09-2016, 01:59 PM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

When people buy a car and don't like it I often wonder....did they test drive it before they bought it? On the test drive did they drive it like they intend to use it?

Sometimes the car you are buying in your head emotionally is not the car you are putting in your driveway.

I think it should almost be a requirement that people sign up for a track day in a 911 after they buy it to really understand what it is they are buying was really built for. In my mind the only way one can appreciate what this car was made for is to drive it in anger around a road course.

Oh...but..but..but I drove it fast on the off ramp and on ramp to the freeway so I know what it can do. Ummm...no you don't.

The 911 was made to beat some world class *** on the race course and it does it with glee. In order to do that..well it is going to be a compromise vs the 4000lb sedan with all the bells whistles and sound dampening.

Why buy a 911 if you wanted a powerful grocery getter...isn't that what Mercedes and Audi and GM are for?

I am not targeting this at the OP but in the short time I've been here I see these types of threads with some frequency.

If the 911 is not your cup of tea the 911 enthusiasts here cannot make it better for you . Either live with it or sell it and move on. I can certainly understand complaints about unreliability but everything else...nope....that is why you do your homework.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:33 AM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
Expectations > Reality = Disappointment

I am on the other end of the spectrum. I bought a .1 C2S CPO fully expecting creaks, rattles, and imperfections, so I have been pleasantly surprised and love it.

Noises: My driver's seat squeaks, and there is at least one other spot. It kind of bothers me, and will bring it in at some point before my warranty expires.

Bose: It is "meh" in the 991, but was actually great in my old 2004 A4. Go figure.

PSE: I love it, and also wish I could hear it more with the windows up.

Interior Quality: I hate to tell you that the leather interior is ridiculously awesome
A quick shot of wd40 in both latches of your seat and your squeak will disappear. I just did this. Solving a rattle or squeak is a wonderful feeling
Old 12-11-2016, 05:30 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NO rattles here. Actually find the BOSE to be very good. I am an audiofile (have perfect pitch in my ear too - can hear a melody and then duplicate it on a piano with no notes).

I find the interior space to be comfortable, and surprisingly useful for luggage when you fold the seats down. The seats are comfortable. The arm rest should be higher though - that is my one and only complaint. I come from 4 previous S Classes (W140, W220, W221, W222) and I love having a place to rest my arm. Instead, I just hold the PDK gear selector.

Seems fine in the rain, have yet to try it in the snow.

Decent on gas mileage, though I am not exactly trying to achieve good results.

Decent size "Frunk"

Heater and A/C work great.

The new PCM is fantastic.

Had the same loud natural sounds when it rained on my S550 panoramic roof. No change.

Cup Holders make sense.

I am trying to think of everyday car issues and I don't really understand how this is "just" a good performance car. I think it works well for everyday driving as well.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:31 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Highyo
A quick shot of wd40 in both latches of your seat and your squeak will disappear. I just did this. Solving a rattle or squeak is a wonderful feeling
I have read about that tip a few times, but something about spaying WD40 into the seats just seems wrong...

Do you have 18-way seats? Do you just spray a little on the latch and let it work its way into the seat?

I am tempted since I do not want to go to the dealer.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:54 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

I have read about that tip a few times, but something about spaying WD40 into the seats just seems wrong...

Do you have 18-way seats? Do you just spray a little on the latch and let it work its way into the seat?

Truth be told, this is what dealers do about 50% of the time when customers bring in their Porsches because of rattles, creaks, and squeaks.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:44 PM
parabola19
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

MY 458 cost me 328k when i bought it. and the TPMS system was always buggy, never showed the correct pressure and always had problems. My RR Wraith was 353k, and ran perfect, luxurious, lambswool carpets not a decibel louder with the car on than when the car was off. My TTS is pretty much in the middle of those two and 150k less.

Its a luxury car with the heart of a race car. I haven't found a more luxrious drivers car and I've owned most types of "supercars". I sold my first TTS and woke up in sweat a week later realizing what a mistake i made. Ordered a 991.2 the next day. Porsche service is among the best at handling issues that i've ever dealt with so i encourage you to bring it in even if it is a lease. but like always YMMV...
Old 12-12-2016, 03:15 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

i have the 14 ways and all i did was a tiny little blast on each side. that was by far the most annoying rattle i have. now trying to figure out the one by my left ear that sounds more like the classic rattle. terrible one too. think its in the door, or window, or...
Old 12-12-2016, 04:59 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

OP: Have you brought the rattles to the attention of your dealer? You just bought the thing. It's under warrenty. They want you to be satisfied. Go get it fixed up.

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2016, 06:34 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a 2015 GTS coupe that I ordered. It was NOT a dealer orphan. It makes NO noises other than the radio and the PSE. As all have said, the selling dealer is obligated to a "new" or CPO car. You should pester him ad nauseum. I have owned 6 Porsches which I bought new. I only had a small problem (the radio dial did nothing) in my current GTS which my dealership patched in one day. I wish I had the garage space and the income to keep each. Look at my Porsches on my Avatar address.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:22 PM
Gr8ful1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just about 2K miles on my .1 C2S and have no rattles yet. The Bose work great but I spend much of the time listening to the car plus most of my life around jet aircraft I'm a little hearing impaired. Love the sound though. Its not real cold here so maybe temperature has a factor in the rattle department. Never drove a Porsche before this one and its exactly as I expected and more.
Its way, way above the other 62 new cars I have purchased. My $.02 worth.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:42 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The OP makes good points... 911s aren't known for quiet interiors or quality stereos systems. The manual gearbox (pdk derived) is objectively not as good as others in feel - does the job. Also a GTI is probably the only car anyone ever truly needs, it is arguably the absolute best ratio of fun/quality interior/practicality/performance you will find in a car, for the price (way sub 30)....

But - you buy a 911 because you want the RWD + engine over the rear axle experience, that sound, that traction out of turns, that gorgeous body... You buy a 911 because it is the only car I know that can take punishment on the track on sunday and drive to work like nothing happened on monday. Such increments come at exponential pricing... I do agree w/ you about the squeaks or whatever, it's unfortunate, not all of them do that...
Old 12-14-2016, 07:11 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

I have some of the notorious seat squeeks and latch rattles in my 991.1 GTS. After reading about the WD-40 fix above, I started looking into alternative options and came across Pedro's Ice Wax as a popular choice since it has "friendlier" contents. 3M silicone spray was another popular one. I may give Pedro's a try and would welcome anyone else's experience with this.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:31 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Rambler_13 as you may have known my car had the exact same seat latch rattles as your car. Porsche fixed it along with my sunroof. No more distracting noises. I'm impressed because I was very skeptical and didn't think they would be able to resolve (or care to resolve). Bring it in and have them deal with it!
Old 12-14-2016, 07:49 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Rambler_13 as you may have known my car had the exact same seat latch rattles as your car. Porsche fixed it along with my sunroof. No more distracting noises. I'm impressed because I was very skeptical and didn't think they would be able to resolve (or care to resolve). Bring it in and have them deal with it!
I was planning on doing this after reading the success you and Bemo had. I was just hoping to avoid going to the dealer unless I really needed to and just waiting until my next service. But if it's something I can simply fix at home, I'm willing to give it a try. Especially if it ever resurfaces again, I know I can fix it vs. going to the dealer for it again.

Quick Reply: 2000 mile thoughts