Sponsored by:

2000 mile thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 09:53 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
I have some of the notorious seat squeeks and latch rattles in my 991.1 GTS. After reading about the WD-40 fix above, I started looking into alternative options and came across Pedro's Ice Wax as a popular choice since it has "friendlier" contents. 3M silicone spray was another popular one. I may give Pedro's a try and would welcome anyone else's experience with this.
Funny that this is 2016 and I'm still reading about Pedro's icewax... That was the stuff I used to silence the silly floating/squeaking windshield in my 993. It works well ;-) But more amusing is the fact that 20y later Porsche is still silencing squeaks with lube !
Old 12-22-2016, 04:55 PM
skynet
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were married to Adriana Lima, would you expect her to cook?

Old 12-22-2016, 04:57 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by skynet
If you were married to Adriana Lima, would you expect her to cook?

My wife is pretty, therefore I cook. Now it all makes sense.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:12 PM
Kinson Lau
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 Glass sunroof rubber awful sound when it is wet after rain.

My 991.2 C4S is having the same issue on the glass sunroof. When the rubber is wet, the glass panel makes some awful sounds as it rubs against it with every bump. May I know how did Porsche services fix that problem? Need to change all the rubber?

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Hey Plimpington: I had similar issues with seat belts and exact issue with my glass sunroof.

I am happy to report that after two visits (one for a few hours that proved unsuccessful, the next for 2 days) to Porsche service they are 100% resolved.

Porsche service could not have been more attentive to even he slightest rattle or creek. Bring it in and have these issues addressed, and your love for that car will increase exponentially.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:08 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

You'd think she could afford to keep a few mothballs in her closet...
Old 05-04-2019, 07:37 PM
Sajan
Pro

Received 295 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Plimpington2
Let's start with interior fit and finish. It's fine. It's high quality, but certainly NO higher quality than the one in the GTI. In fact, I'd venture to say the leather in the GTI is nicer. Seems nicer to me, anyway. Dammit also, if the GTI has fewer creeks and rattles!! It just does (same goes for all of the Mercedes I've had). This is a particular bugaboo of mine (my one area of OCD). How is a $115k car plagued with rattles? Rattles in passenger side door handle. Rattles in the passenger rear seat belt. Rattles in the rear window. A persistent "creek" sound (like cellophane crinkling) in rear passenger well (this one worse when cold). And Oh MY GOD, the sound of the sunroof is RIDICULOUS when it's wet (i.e., after a rain). RIDICULOUS!!! When the rubber is wet, the glass panel makes the most awful sound as it rubs against it with every bump. I'm sure it has something to do with the chemistry of the particular rubber compound they use. Fine!! But you know who's sunroof does NOT make any noise - the $30k GTI!! WTF, Porsche!!! This isn't just me. We have a rattles thread on this forum almost monthly. It's ridiculous.

The BOSE is ****e! It just doesn't sound that great. I refuse to believe this is an inherent compromise due to interior acoustics of the car (or the space available for the speakers or behind the speakers in the doors, dash, etc.) I think BOSE, as a brand, is overhyped and largely garbage. Their home products are over-priced and undergood. And I suspect the same goes for the car stuff. I have NEVER heard a good BOSE system in a car. You know which car's stereo sounds GREAT?? The GTI's. The Fender system in the VW is markedly better. So is the Harmon Karden system in the Mercedes. And please don't tell me the Bose system is "flatter", or the Fender system is "built to satisfy the unsophisticated tastes of the mass market, blah blah". I've owned Naim and Linn and Rega and Ortofon for years at home.
Judd
Point #1 is so true. I am just fed up with it. Especially in Houston with so many uneven crappy roads. So many things squeak or rattle. Subtle enough to not be TOO distracting but there enough to annoy the sh** out of you. The sunroof squeak is the worst.
Point #2 is also true. The BOSE speakers have a harsh high end. I think it sounds good initially to the average joe because of the crispness but it causes so much ear fatigue during extended listening. I haven't heard a single BOSE car system that sounds good.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:34 AM
3Kweave
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Valid complaints. I think you should take your car in to have the interior rattles and squeaks looked at. It shouldn't have those interior fit and finish issues. I have a 991.2 c4s and the seat belt is a little shaky but other than that, zero rattles. No problems with the glass sunroof. I find the interior in my car to be very nice. I got the 18 ways with full leather and extended leather on the dash and seat backs in leather. Coming from a BMW, the leather in the Porsche is way way nicer. My brakes (PCCB) are the quietest brakes I have ever used. I'm not sure if carbon ceramics are supposed to be quieter than the steel brakes. I have MPS4S tires and they are loud. There is a lot of pinging in the wheel wells from debris. I think all the noise in the wheel wells is intentional or a "feature" because for a serious driving car you want to be able to hear what is going on with the wheels (?). I have the Burmester and its a really nice sound system. Ive heard the bose system before and it seemed fine to me. It is a loud car in the interior. I wouldn't call the ride luxurious either. I live in Minnesota and daily drive where the roads aren't very good. That being said it's the best car I have ever driven. I drive it any opportunity I get. Its such a solid car. I love the feedback through the steering wheel. My understanding is that compared to a lot of other sports cars in the 100k+ range the 911 is supposedly one of the more luxurious. My Dad visited me the other week and he drove the car and loved it but found it to be to harsh for daily driving. I would agree that for how loud some of the exterior noise is, I wish the sports exhaust were louder in the cabin. Its kind of silly of spending the cash for PSE and now I want to get an aftermarket exhaust. All that being said, it's the best driving car I've experienced. It isn't a luxury car though.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:53 AM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 185 Posts

Sorry for your poor experience, consider trading it in and getting a vehicle that suits your needs - life is too short to do things you don't enjoy
Old 05-09-2019, 10:22 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

M5?
Old 05-09-2019, 11:34 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

It's only three years out of my life. And, as I've said, I suspect you can't achieve the kind of performance you get in a 911 with anything else (maybe a 718). I know me - and I'll probably end up with another Porsche at the end. But I will still complain about the compromises.
Please don’t. Don’t get another. It’s not for you. Put your keys in the basket and move one. Just move one and don’t look back. Don’t let the door hit you in the *** on the way out. Get a spring in your step son, and just get out! Get the hell out! We are cut from different cloth than you are. Just move on. You don’t get it. See ya! 😉
Old 05-10-2019, 01:09 AM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts

I have wanted a Porsche almost all my life . . . a dream of mine since childhood. I can remember the poster on my wall. I can remember thinking it was EASILY the second most beautiful thing in Risky Business (that seems fair!!).
The first most beautiful thing in Risky Business?

Old 05-10-2019, 09:04 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Nice review - thanks for sharing this.

I've had two 991S's - Bose in the first one and Burmester in the current one. The Bose was adequate but the Burmester is fantastic, in my opinion.

Rattles are a funny thing - I've read a lot of complaints about rattles in the 991. My first 991S had rattles but my second one has zero (with 15k miles on it now). Odd. Neither of the sunroofs in my 991S's rattled, though.

Very happy with my fit and finish.
Now on my third 991, a 991.2, and after more than one year, 5,500 miles, zero rattles. I use the sunroof all the time and no rattles, there, too.

No squeaky brakes on this one or the previous one (both had PCCBs). My first 911.1 (with steels) squeeked but only after an HPDC. Hitting the brakes hard seemed to clear the squeaks on that one.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:13 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

I was a little confused and concerned with a couple owners experiencing “creeks” in their cars. Then I thought, “Oh yeah, there are four springs”.

I’ll show myself out...

Quick Reply: 2000 mile thoughts