Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 mile thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 06:22 AM
NF4710
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 115 Posts

The GTI has a standout interior and is widely considered best in its class. That said I have drive one extensively and think it's a huge step down from the 991 911. There is more hard plastic (esp center console), the panels feel thinner, and every little part from the glovebox to the turn signal seems flimsier to me. Plus just look at the style of the 991s interior: the air vents, the instument binnacle, the center console...it's just on a higher level IMO. My 2014 Audi S4 is a big step up from the GTI and I believe the 911 surpasses it as well.

As for rattles, I have a few and wish I didn't. Must agree it's disappointing but I suspect they will be common in a firmly sprung car on 20 inch low profile rolling stock. Same goes for road noise, especially in a lightweight car.

I also agree about the Bose: I would expect more quality at its price. That said I find the system decent and am not sure I would spend the extra money for Burmeister in a car with this much road noise anyway. My guess is your GTI and Benz are much quieter than the 911 and that will make any system sound better.

Overall I think you need to keep the goals of the 991 in perspective. It is a sports car that can be used daily. I've yet to drive another car that fulfills that goal better. If you want a vault that's fast with a good radio and nice interior there are a number of AMG cars with Burmeister radios that should get you there...none make me smile like the 911 though.

Cheers,
NF
Old 12-08-2016, 08:01 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

There's a thread in this forum about "how to love your BOSE" - I don't have the link handy.
I've had both, and I think the Burmester is a waste of money once you start driving the car and the engine/road noises begin.
The cars certainly aren't for everyone. I have a fully loaded S550 4matic as a DD that will end up costing about $40k less than the Targa I have on order. And it had massaging seats, Burmester and 450 HP. Very comfy...
Old 12-08-2016, 10:28 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Expectations > Reality = Disappointment

I am on the other end of the spectrum. I bought a .1 C2S CPO fully expecting creaks, rattles, and imperfections, so I have been pleasantly surprised and love it.

Noises: My driver's seat squeaks, and there is at least one other spot. It kind of bothers me, and will bring it in at some point before my warranty expires.

Bose: It is "meh" in the 991, but was actually great in my old 2004 A4. Go figure.

PSE: I love it, and also wish I could hear it more with the windows up.

Interior Quality: I hate to tell you that the leather interior is ridiculously awesome
Old 12-08-2016, 10:55 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Delete

Last edited by budrichard; 12-08-2016 at 11:09 AM. Reason: double Post
Old 12-08-2016, 11:04 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

991.2 C4S 8K miles:

No rattles, period.
Sounds you hear are from the sticky tires which pick up everything on the road and sling into the wheel wells. If you want to stay on the road, there is no other choice.
Bose, there are two proprietary Bose Noise systems that I had to turn OFF to get good sound on the Bose. Once I did that, ABBA sounds great and I can even feel the bass thumping against my left leg in the cabin.
Look in the menu's to turn them OFF and then use CD or Mastered for i/tunes for source, not FM or Sirius.
One last comment, you are driving a car meant not just for the road but an actual race track. You can actually just drive to your local track and with helmet and training, drive as fast as you want, as long as the gas holds out with zero problems. I do.
The GTI won't do that nor will it provide that ability with the road holding and safety that your C4 will.
Maybe the car just isn't for you?-Richard
Old 12-08-2016, 12:01 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes a car just isn't what you want. Ask me how I know...
A lot of creaks/rattles are going to happen with a stiff suspension. If it really bothers you, switch to 19 inch wheels and all season tires.
I know people buy cars for different reasons. Maybe look at different brands. My Aston was a great car. Super nice interior, comfortable ride, and very good stereo. It just wasn't for me.
BTW, there is no way you are close to 70%- more like 30%. Take your car to the track and get to really appreciate it.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:30 PM
0-Steve
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the event you are using bluetooth for sound it may be best to plug in your phone/MP3 player. I've found it to be FAR better almost acceptable.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I find base Porsche interiors to be a letdown compared to the full leather. But that's just me, it's one of my hot points.

Also, I find even the Burmester to be average. Especially in my cab. I have the Bose in my Cayenne and it's not as good as even the base stereo in my Lexus. Porsche aren't good at audio, methinks.

OP, sorry you are letting the car get you down. I get it, your expectations may have exceeded reality of living with a compromised sports car. I hope that you come to enjoy it during your lease. If not, check on swapalease / leasetrader and see if you can offload it. Life's too short to be paying for a luxury good that you don't get enjoyment out of. No shame in that.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:36 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm sure the OP's comments are valid. But his issues are minor compared to the overall experience of driving a 911. I've been driving Porsche's for over 35 years and strayed to other brands occasionally. I always end up back in a 911 with a sense of being "home". I think its as simple as you are either a 911 driver or not.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:04 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by ArthurVandalay
991.1 owner here. Purchased used 2014 C4S in May. Driven 3k mi. Always wanted one. Finally did it. Totally enjoy it.

For the $ spent the interior is ehhh. Not an audio guy, but the Bose is ehhh. My rationalization is it's the stuff we don't immediately see that makes the $ worth it.

It is a race car gussied up to take to the mall.

And tack on $30k just for this silhouette.

Wring it out over a switchbacked mountain pass or on a track and boy howdy those thoughts of ehhh about the interior and sound system get shoved to the bottom of my list pretty fast.

(yeah, what's the kool aide flavour tonight)
That pic is so awesome! I love my Porsche so much!
Old 12-08-2016, 02:13 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

If you want your 991 to feel refined, quiet and smooth just invest 18 years driving the 911s that came before it.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:56 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 681 Likes on 475 Posts

I'm looking at the same model. As a daily driver, can you speak to what you like about the car? Do you enjoy driving it when you aren't pushing it 70% of the way?? Seats comfortable, interior noice levels OK? Ride quality? Thanks
Old 12-08-2016, 02:56 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
If you want your 991 to feel refined, quiet and smooth just invest 18 years driving the 911s that came before it.
^^^^^ +1
Old 12-08-2016, 03:08 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

Ordering one but am insisting on the Burmeister or nothing. The 997 had the Bose with that stupid equalization curve and mushy sound. I don't know why Porsche ever made the decision to partner with a low end stereo provider. The standard stereo sounded better IMO.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:52 PM
planet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plimpington - Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts. I hope you get the fixable annoyances resolved at the dealer, so you can focus on what the car does best!

Quick Reply: 2000 mile thoughts