Sponsored by:

2000 mile thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 03:53 PM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 0-Steve
In the event you are using bluetooth for sound it may be best to plug in your phone/MP3 player. I've found it to be FAR better almost acceptable.
Using BlueTooth for Music(AppleAPP) from my iPhone compared to USB to Apple CarPlay, I find the signal level of BlueTooth to be much less than the using the USB Port to CarPlay.
I also suspect that BlueTooth is subject to much more compression from your iPhone and the USB to CarPlay should be lossless.
I always purchase Mastered for iTunes music and the quality has been excellent. An advantage of being all Apple is that I can also access my Music(Apple APP) on Apple TV and playing on our B&W 600 series 7.1 sound system, it's truly audiophile to my ears.
FM and Sirius even though Sirius is digital and is compressed and should not be used as a standard for judgment. A good CD or the USB to CarPlay should be a standard.-Richard
BTW The settings are on page 190 of the Owner's Manual and consist of :
Surround, Linear and Audio Pilot.
I believe each three can be individually set for each source.
I had to spend some time in the car listening to find what sounded good to me.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:50 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

0 rattles here... Lucky me!

Full leather is a must have for me, the base interior is not up to par with Audi or Mercedes IMHO
Old 12-08-2016, 05:51 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Reading this thread makes me smile. Complaints that a 991 is too loud and bumpy?

I guess this is why Porsche adds a little more luxury into each successive model. Picking up some new customers along the way, losing some of the old...

Last edited by Tlaloc75; 12-08-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:24 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 964 Posts

I think The Fat Kid highlighted the key issue here:

"Expectations > Reality = Disappointment"

I believe that expectations are high (and should be!) when purchasing a $100K+ car. If you've never owned a Porsche in the past, then it becomes difficult to know exactly what to expect. The Porsche 911 has always been a sports car, even though each new generation becomes more luxurious than the previous generation. It is still is a great sports car.

My first 911 was a 996. When I upgraded to a 997, it felt like a significant improvement. It was quieter, it had a better ride, the interior was better and used better quality materials. Even so, it remained a Porsche 911. My upgrade to the 991 brought the same improvements. Having come from earlier generations, I believe that the 991 is very luxurious, and very nice. It is a significant improvement over the 997, in almost every way I can imagine. I've been fortunate that I have had no rattles or other signs of quality issues. The 991 has been great for me.

Sorry your experience hasn't been great. If I were you, I would definitely try another 911 in the future. If you still aren't satisfied, then there are lots of other great sports cars out there.

Last edited by Dennis C; 12-08-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:48 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

I wish the complainers could have a chance to drive a 356. They'd think they were in a Bentley driving a 991. When I think back to my 912, even the 911's, the 991 is solid and quiet by comparison. By the way, never had as much as a rattle in either 991!
Old 12-08-2016, 07:32 PM
siitech
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased my first Porsche---a base 2013 CPO 991.1---1 year ago, I wrote a review of similar complaints, but I love the overall driving experience. With some personal care and help from my local dealer, I eliminated a lot of rattles and noises, and my car drives very solid now. A list of the things that I did:

1. replaced Pirelli with Michelin Pilot Super Sport, and adjust tire pressure to comfort setting;
2. replaced a rattling remote side mirror switch;
3. leather conditioner on leather, vinyl treatment on vinyl, and silicon spray on rear seat hinges.

I think with some extra care, you would find your ride in the 991 much more enjoyable. And with more driving, you will get to appreciate Porsche's engineering.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:05 PM
Plimpington2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kayjh
I'm looking at the same model. As a daily driver, can you speak to what you like about the car? Do you enjoy driving it when you aren't pushing it 70% of the way?? Seats comfortable, interior noice levels OK? Ride quality? Thanks
My opinion will not be a popular one here, but I believe the 991.2 to be a very compromised daily driver. It's not the car I want to jump into to run around to the grocery store, etc. I DO commute about 20 miles each way in it, however - most of it highway. I think it is serviceable in this context. Many people here will declare it a fantastic daily driver. In my opinion, that should be amended to "a great daily driver for a no-compromise sports car". It's obviously a matter of perspective.

That said, I wish to reiterate a point I made in my original post - I enjoy driving the car very much. I've never been behind the wheel of something that is as much fun to drive. But is it "fun" to drive around town if you don't push it a bit? hard to say - around town, I'm not so sure.

If I had it all to do over again, I would have bought a Cayman 718 (base or s, unclear) in manual. I would have been able to enjoy, probably, 95% of what the 911 gives me. And with the money I had left over, a Mercedes Benz, c-class. The Cayman for fun . . . the C-class as a daily driver.

I honestly think there is no true competition for the driving thrill the Porsche provides. And I know me enough to know that I'll probably want to retain that when the lease on this is up.

Judd
Old 12-08-2016, 08:13 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeles
I wish the complainers could have a chance to drive a 356. They'd think they were in a Bentley driving a 991. When I think back to my 912, even the 911's, the 991 is solid and quiet by comparison. By the way, never had as much as a rattle in either 991!
That's a bit unfair. Do you tell people buying a new Camaro they should stop whining because it's nicer than the '67? Or, a more apt comparison, are people who complain about the Jag F type told "relax, its nicer than the E-type"

The car needs to be judged against current competition. Yes, it's nicer than a 356, an SC, a 997, etc. it should be!

Having said that, it is a sports car, and like all such cars, have inherent compromises.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:03 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

I look for any excuse to take my 991.1 GTS cabriolet out for a spin. I have not had the good fortune to drive a non-991 911 but from what I have read, seen and been told, the farther back you go in the 911 model line, the more unforgiving the ride was. And that is exactly how a lot of 911 enthusiasts like it. It is an unforgiving sports car driving experience. If I had the disposable money and the garage space, I would love to buy a 993 so I could experience the manual transmission, air-cooled experience with the hydraulic steering and the no-frills interior. That being said, I would never exchange my 991 for an earlier model because I appreciate the relative comfort of the car - the comfy sport plus seats, the leather interior (I have the all leather upgrade), the fantastic Burmester stereo, the feel of the leather steering wheel in my hands (I am not an Alacantara guy) and that does not even scratch the surface of the actual driving experience itself, which is second to none.

Not only has Porsche taken the interior comfort to a new level with the 991 platform, the engineering of the engine and chassis is phenomenal. I read an article in Christophorus in which one of the lead 911 engineers said that they squeezed out every ounce of performance that they could when designing the 3.8 L and 4.0 L 991.1 generation NA engines. I know, you have a turbo engine, but I digress - the bottom line is that the 991 generation is a marvelous car but like anything else in life, it is not for everyone.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:38 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 718 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Plimpington2
My opinion will not be a popular one here, but I believe the 991.2 to be a very compromised daily driver. It's not the car I want to jump into to run around to the grocery store, etc. I DO commute about 20 miles each way in it, however - most of it highway. I think it is serviceable in this context. Many people here will declare it a fantastic daily driver. In my opinion, that should be amended to "a great daily driver for a no-compromise sports car". It's obviously a matter of perspective.

That said, I wish to reiterate a point I made in my original post - I enjoy driving the car very much. I've never been behind the wheel of something that is as much fun to drive. But is it "fun" to drive around town if you don't push it a bit? hard to say - around town, I'm not so sure.

If I had it all to do over again, I would have bought a Cayman 718 (base or s, unclear) in manual. I would have been able to enjoy, probably, 95% of what the 911 gives me. And with the money I had left over, a Mercedes Benz, c-class. The Cayman for fun . . . the C-class as a daily driver.

I honestly think there is no true competition for the driving thrill the Porsche provides. And I know me enough to know that I'll probably want to retain that when the lease on this is up.

Judd
Thanks, but from what I understand the new Cayman is much more to the sport side than a 991.2 which leans towards GT and you aren't really happy with that. Maybe you're right though. All the same I'm going to buy one because I've always wanted one and after a 30 minute test drive a couple of months ago, at the end of the drive, I didn't really want to get out of it.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:14 AM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Plimpington2
I agree with you. It's not the best daily driver, but I don't think that it's supposed to be. The reason I bought the car is because of those compromises.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:27 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry you're not fully enjoying the car. I love mine every time I get into it. This is probably going to be controversial, and I don't want to reopen the very tired .1 vs .2 debate, but my thoughts about the .2 were actually a bit similar to your own. I found it amazing when going fast, but when pottering to the shops etc it just didn't feel as special as the .1.

I think a lot of this was due to the lack of sound. At low revs, the cabin is very civilised, which has its advantages of course but just didn't work well for me. I, like you, want my mega-sportscar to feel amazing all the time. I don't know how it would work with your lease, but have you thought about an aftermarket exhaust? A more exotic or just plain louder sound might remind you when daily driving what an incredible car you're doing it in.

Just a thought.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:38 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

The financial commitment of the 911 compared to the VW may have more to do with your reactions than you realize. They all have 4 wheels and roll on the road.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:32 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
The financial commitment of the 911 compared to the VW may have more to do with your reactions than you realize. They all have 4 wheels and roll on the road.
This.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:08 PM
Plimpington2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djcxxx
This strikes me as almost a tautology. Of course you can't separate the cost of this thing from the job it is supposed to do. If the car were cheap, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Yes, without question, for $115k, it should be better than it is. It would be a different story were it, say, $75k. Hence, part of the reason I think the Cayman 718 may get the equation right.

On the other hand, I think the GTI punches well above its price point.

Judd

Quick Reply: 2000 mile thoughts