Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PADM Failure Again

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 01:38 PM
Madisongy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

forgot to ask mechanic why the mount failed, but according to the service report it shorted to ground. Was wondering what goes bad as it would seem the only electrical component of the mount is energizing the magnets, but must be more to it based on the number of wires on the mount connector.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:42 PM
Madisongy
Advanced

5 weeks later..........PADM message again. Suspect it's the right side this time. So here we go again, appointment for "diagnosis", the 3-4 week wait for the backordered mount, the additional appointment for replacement. Good thing they refused to replace both at the same time.........particularly considering the excellent track record of these components.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:38 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,202 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Madisongy
5 weeks later..........PADM message again. Suspect it's the right side this time. So here we go again, appointment for "diagnosis", the 3-4 week wait for the backordered mount, the additional appointment for replacement. Good thing they refused to replace both at the same time.........particularly considering the excellent track record of these components.
What a nightmare.

Is this a widespread issue?
Old 11-23-2018, 04:23 PM
J**2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad I have a base 911 with no SC or active mounts. Sounds more trouble than it is worth.
The following users liked this post:
verstraete (05-31-2023)
Old 11-29-2018, 03:56 AM
Madisongy
Advanced

Originally Posted by .2PDK
What a nightmare.

Is this a widespread issue?
From what I can see, this is an issue with some of the mounts from some model years. I have a 2015.......seriously hoping that they got a defective batch in 2015, and that the mounts currently in production are trouble free. These mounts are "backordered" and had to get them from Germany. Seems that if they're unable to keep them in stock in the US, must be a fairly common issue. I've only got 7000 miles on this thing, and no other problems outside of these mounts. I'm still under warranty, but wouldn't want to shell out the $4000 post-warranty for something where the company seems to be at fault. They're motor mounts........not sure the minor incremental performance is worth the hassle.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:07 AM
Madisongy
Advanced

Originally Posted by J**2
Glad I have a base 911 with no SC or active mounts. Sounds more trouble than it is worth.
absolutely something to be said for keeping it simple. I was in the market for a base 911, and only went with this S as they knocked 21% off sticker.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:24 AM
sessionstu
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Madisongy
From what I can see, this is an issue with some of the mounts from some model years. I have a 2015.......seriously hoping that they got a defective batch in 2015, and that the mounts currently in production are trouble free. These mounts are "backordered" and had to get them from Germany. Seems that if they're unable to keep them in stock in the US, must be a fairly common issue. I've only got 7000 miles on this thing, and no other problems outside of these mounts. I'm still under warranty, but wouldn't want to shell out the $4000 post-warranty for something where the company seems to be at fault. They're motor mounts........not sure the minor incremental performance is worth the hassle.
4k is a bit of an exaggeration. The mount itself costs $1,300.00 from any US parts supplier. It's actually quite simple to replace. Remove the bumper and some of the crash structure and you can remove the three bolts that hold it on. There's a simple wiring harness to remove and that's it. You will need a floor jack to support the transmission so the other mount doesn't get over stressed from the weight. The only downside to doing this at home (DIY) is that if you guess the wrong mount you will have to swap the new mount on the other side of the vehicle. There are no codes to clear, so you don't need the Porsche computer to clear any codes on the dash.

I had a mount replaced on my 2013 C2S with 7k on the clock six months ago. The car was out of warranty. Porsche charged me $700.00 to have it replaced at Porsche of Orlando. They know the part is crap. I'm sure if they could change suppliers they would. The part is manufactured by a British engineering company.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:59 PM
Madisongy
Advanced

[QUOTE=sessionstu;15462858]4k is a bit of an exaggeration.

[QUOTE=sessionstu;15462858]4k is a bit of an exaggeration.

Ha! When you're right, you're right..........$4K is a bit of an exaggeration. The service manager told me it's a $1700 job........times 2 is only $3400. So let me rephrase, "wouldn't want to shell out the $3400 post-warranty......". Actually, wouldn't even want to shell out the discounted $700, when it seems to be a known defect.

Regarding replacement, I watched the mechanic change mine, and he never touched the bumper. He removed the spoiler and replaced it from up top. Hour and 45 min from start to finish. I was thinking bumper is coming off. Not sure if that's possible on the right side as well, but guess I'll find out.

Daim, seems the problem spans at least 2013 - 2015.......seriously hope that they have since identified and fixed the root cause of this problem. Would hate to see this job added to the 10,000 mile service interval.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:22 PM
sessionstu
Advanced

If you have a lift you don't need to remove the bumper. Unfortunately, my garage does not consist of a 4-point lift. I may have to correct that.

I believe this part was first fitted to the 997.2 GT3. The part was superceded several times, but the one that was on my 2013 has the same part number as what they use today. This part is also on the Panamara. I'm sure it's on other models with the active suspension option. PASM/PADM

The reason more people don't complain is because the part is usually replaced under warranty. People don't complain when they don't have to pay for the repair. As I had to shell out for mine, I complained to Porshce. There is no way that a vehicle with 7000 miles should have a part like this fail. In the PIWIS tool you can see how many times PADM was activated. When mine failed, it was the first time the active engine mounts were engaged. Meaning (I think) the failed engine mount was bad prior to the light appearing on the dash. Which may have been months/years. Who knows? I asked the tech. @ Porsche of Orlando but he wasn't at liberty to talk about it. Figures.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:29 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

Can PADM be disabled using PIWIS? The same way you would disable TPMS for instance?
Old 11-29-2018, 06:41 PM
sessionstu
Advanced

No. PADM is a safety feature. The PASM/PADM module control the active suspension mounts as well. The Porsche tech. said whatever you do, don't drive the car when an active suspension mount warning shows on the dash. In time it will fry the PADM module. Which I'm sure is very expensive. Just guessing.

Yeah, there's no way to replace the active engine mounts with solid engine mounts without getting that annoying yellow thing on the dash. From what I was told, driving the car with failed active engine mounts is not a problem. They obviously won't stiffen up when you go around a fast corner when in Sport or Sport Plus. But the affect is the same as solid engine mounts.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:47 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

I don't see the worry really. If they fail, then you can drive with it and it's just like having a solid engine mount. I didn't even know about PADM until after I got my S/C car, and I really wanted S/C without even knowing existed. So, it's mostly a bonus to me.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:15 PM
tsf
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy PADM

Originally Posted by sessionstu
No. PADM is a safety feature. The PASM/PADM module control the active suspension mounts as well. The Porsche tech. said whatever you do, don't drive the car when an active suspension mount warning shows on the dash. In time it will fry the PADM module. Which I'm sure is very expensive. Just guessing.

Yeah, there's no way to replace the active engine mounts with solid engine mounts without getting that annoying yellow thing on the dash. From what I was told, driving the car with failed active engine mounts is not a problem. They obviously won't stiffen up when you go around a fast corner when in Sport or Sport Plus. But the affect is the same as solid engine mounts.
sessionstu Thank you for the photos and screen prints earlier in the post it has been very helpful ............. I have the same issue (PADM ) come up on my car 2014/2015 Cayman GTS was just driving in normal mode on the motorway and the light just came on, I was on the way to my 4 year major service (10890 miles) and the light came on, however they never reset it or investigated it as they had not time :-( and said I should book it in again to have the fault diagnosed

I have done a little bit of research and managed to locate them on the car and the part number 981.375.059.05 from the ID sticker on the side of these dampers. I have been trying to source them for the manufacturer BMi group I think ? but no success yet ..... porsche dont manufacture these part so who does? It seems strange that this is a common part to fail if going by a general search on line but nobody knows what actually goes wrong with them apart from ground to earth, I realised they are a non serviceable item but to my knowledge it is a coil inside with some metallic type fluid that when the coil is energised this hardens up the dampening by means of restricting the flow of fluid. Any help would be greatly appreciated :-)

mmmm Made in the United Kingdom ??

Old 12-10-2018, 07:28 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,202 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by tsf

mmmm Made in the United Kingdom ??
Hopefully Brexit will solve the issue for future models...
Old 12-10-2018, 08:20 AM
tsf
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

: If this item in made in the UK why does it have to be ordered from Germany 🤔

Quick Reply: PADM Failure Again