Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PADM Failure Again

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 06:43 PM
CSTROH
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an engine mount go bad in my manual '14 C2S at about 15,000 miles while just driving along. Porsche replaced this as a courtesy for no charge despite the car being a few months out of warranty.

After refueling my manual 2018 GT3, which has about 6,000 miles, I restarted the engine a PADM message was displayed. I brought it to the dealer a few days later and they replaced the passenger side dynamic motor mount.

A service advisor once told me that the mounts tend to go bad most frequently in Turbo's, although not be considered a frequent problem.

Porsche seems committed to addressing any reliability issues with these mounts.

Last edited by CSTROH; 08-01-2020 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:04 PM
Madisongy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aaaaaaaaaaaand just when I thought I was all through with the PADM warning light, and after having Porsche replace BOTH sides about two years ago, yep, got the warning light again today. And so pleased that I'm getting it after the CPO has expired. Wrote to Porsche today to ask how they will support me after having replaced two of these god awful expensive and apparently garbage quality motor mounts. and for reference.....just turned 13,000 miles today.
Love the car, but if it's going to cost 3 grand every couple of years to maintain an apparently poorly designed/manufactured motor mount, I'm going to have to trade this in on a Lexus.

Last edited by Madisongy; 12-02-2020 at 06:05 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-02-2020, 06:10 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,120 Likes on 1,322 Posts

Seems this is only a junk part on cars that aren't really driven?
Old 12-02-2020, 10:44 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by Madisongy
aaaaaaaaaaaand just when I thought I was all through with the PADM warning light, and after having Porsche replace BOTH sides about two years ago, yep, got the warning light again today. And so pleased that I'm getting it after the CPO has expired. Wrote to Porsche today to ask how they will support me after having replaced two of these god awful expensive and apparently garbage quality motor mounts. and for reference.....just turned 13,000 miles today.
Love the car, but if it's going to cost 3 grand every couple of years to maintain an apparently poorly designed/manufactured motor mount, I'm going to have to trade this in on a Lexus.
I rolled the dice and bought used units on ebay, they can be had for pretty cheap. Also if you want to go the lifetime warranty route you can buy them on FCP euro and they will replace them forever.

Old 12-08-2020, 03:08 PM
Madisongy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joec500
I rolled the dice and bought used units on ebay, they can be had for pretty cheap. Also if you want to go the lifetime warranty route you can buy them on FCP euro and they will replace them forever.
Outstanding recommendation on the lifetime FCP warranty. Found the mounts, and same price as dealer at $3100 for the set of two. Not excited to spend it, but as you point out, far better than the non-warranted dealer option for the same money. And I'd prefer to do the install myself anyway. Thanks for that. What did you pay on Ebay for used?
The disappointing part, aside from the $, is the fact that Porsche does not seem to have a handle on the issue. I figured the initial mounts likely had some manufacturing defect, and the replacement mounts purchased a few years after would have solved the issue. Apparently, that's not the case. I'm also thinking.........so what's the issue to drive on them in a failed state? Do I really care if they don't activate and stiffen up in Sport mode? I've considered replacing them with the standard mounts, but don't know how I'd get that warning light to turn off.
Let's see what Porsche does. I've noticed that others have had free replacements after warranty expiration.........and of course, I'll update my post here. They have replied and seem to be working on it as they contacted the dealer where I purchased the car. I had them replaced at a different dealer. You'd think they could reference that by the VIN number I reported. Hmmm.......

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...sche-991padmkt
Old 12-08-2020, 05:12 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Outstanding recommendation on the lifetime FCP warranty. Found the mounts, and same price as dealer at $3100 for the set of two. Not excited to spend it, but as you point out, far better than the non-warranted dealer option for the same money. And I'd prefer to do the install myself anyway. Thanks for that. What did you pay on Ebay for used?
The disappointing part, aside from the $, is the fact that Porsche does not seem to have a handle on the issue. I figured the initial mounts likely had some manufacturing defect, and the replacement mounts purchased a few years after would have solved the issue. Apparently, that's not the case. I'm also thinking.........so what's the issue to drive on them in a failed state? Do I really care if they don't activate and stiffen up in Sport mode? I've considered replacing them with the standard mounts, but don't know how I'd get that warning light to turn off.
Let's see what Porsche does. I've noticed that others have had free replacements after warranty expiration.........and of course, I'll update my post here. They have replied and seem to be working on it as they contacted the dealer where I purchased the car. I had them replaced at a different dealer. You'd think they could reference that by the VIN number I reported. Hmmm.......

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...sche-991padmkt
I found used ones with the most recent Part# revision for around $200....I figure I could roll the dice with like 15 sets LOL before hitting 3k!

The following users liked this post:
Madisongy (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 08:49 PM
Madisongy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joec500
I found used ones with the most recent Part# revision for around $200....I figure I could roll the dice with like 15 sets LOL before hitting 3k!
Absolutely !! 15 sets, times two years a set.....you're good for the next 30 years.

Well, tried ebay and you got an outstanding deal. The ones I'm finding are quite a bit more than that. You mentioned the latest part number rev.........is that POR-99137505908 ? I picked that up on FCP, and used that to search. Oh, and FCP sells them individually too, so if it comes down to it, I guess I'll get that iCarsoft POR-II to figure out which side is bad, and buy one. Looks like same number for both left and right.

Last edited by Madisongy; 12-08-2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:00 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Absolutely !! 15 sets, times two years a set.....you're good for the next 30 years.

Well, tried ebay and you got an outstanding deal. The ones I'm finding are quite a bit more than that. You mentioned the latest part number rev.........is that POR-99137505908 ? I picked that up on FCP, and used that to search. Oh, and FCP sells them individually too, so if it comes down to it, I guess I'll get that iCarsoft POR-II to figure out which side is bad, and buy one. Looks like same number for both left and right.
I am not sure if I got the latest latest ones, but they came off of a 2016 991.1 GTS, which is the last year of the 991.1. I need to search in storage for the parts for the part #, but I remember them being the 2nd or 3rd revision on the 991.1

Yah I looked again on ebay and it seems they have gone up in price.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:59 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 733 Posts

I would feel much better about this issue if someone could figure out how to toggle off PADM in the PIWIS. I feel like this setting has to exist...

@Tom@TPC Racing I know the DSC can control the PADM... you guys ever experiment with removing PADM? Maybe we can use DSC to trick the car into thinking they are still in place, or just use some resistors to trick it?

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 12-09-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:09 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 975 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
I would feel much better about this issue if someone could figure out how to toggle off PADM in the PIWIS. I feel like this setting has to exist...

@Tom@TPC Racing I know the DSC can control the PADM... you guys ever experiment with removing PADM? Maybe we can use DSC to trick the car into thinking they are still in place, or just use some resistors to trick it?
I have not done it but hypothetically if you enter all zeros in the DSC Driveline section you should be able to replace the electronic engine mount with traditional mechanical mounts without getting PADM fault message.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 12-09-2020 at 12:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AdamSanta85 (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 12:11 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
I have not done it but hypothetically if you enter all zeros in the DSC Driveline section you should be able to replace the electronic engine mount with traditional mechanical mounts without getting PADM fault message.
There we go folks, for the price of one failed PADM you get a DSC and Rennline upgraded mounts.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:35 PM
Madisongy
Advanced

There we go folks, for the price of one failed PADM you get a DSC and Rennline upgraded mounts.
Love the idea of the Rennline mounts as I'd be perfectly comfortable replacing the stock mounts with these. But that "hypothetically" part is concerning to me, and I don't know how to update the DSC Driveline. Seems like the process here is 1. Learn how to update the DSC Driveline, then update it to all zeros. 2. If that eliminates the warning, bang out an order to Rennline for some new mounts for 10% of what the originals cost. Once you add a pair of these to the cart, the price drops to $315. Would be a great alternative.

Old 12-09-2020, 03:45 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Love the idea of the Rennline mounts as I'd be perfectly comfortable replacing the stock mounts with these. But that "hypothetically" part is concerning to me, and I don't know how to update the DSC Driveline. Seems like the process here is 1. Learn how to update the DSC Driveline, then update it to all zeros. 2. If that eliminates the warning, bang out an order to Rennline.
Should only take a couple minutes.

It should be something like...

1. Open DSC Tuner
2. Pull your file
3. Settings > Show/Edit Tables for > Driveline
4. Mount Calibration > set Calibrated At: 0mA for all cells or hit Clear All button
5. Save
6. Write to DSC
Old 12-09-2020, 03:59 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

I have a PIWIS II, I believe you would need to disable Sport Chrono to turn off the engine mounts. Which would be less than ideal for people with SC. The DSC option might be the easiest. I can do more digging around my PIWIS to see if we can turn off active engine mounts.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joec500:
AdamSanta85 (12-09-2020), edirtaynine (01-19-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 01:31 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

What a ROYAL PAIN in the butt.
Seems to me if Porsche has a knack of putting every bells and whistles on their car, at least make sure it is reliable. We buy the car for our enjoyment, not to be driven as slaves to endlessly having to confront these "over-enginering" bull****.

Quick Reply: PADM Failure Again