Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PADM Failure Again

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 11:06 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 123 Posts

First of all Plenum thanks for the informative video. Haven't had a PADM issue but I was interested by the cost of the mount from your video. I downloaded the parts catalog from your blog and then searched for the mount online. Now I'm sure there are other parts replaced but from my (admittedly cursory) inquiry the mount itself was in the $1100 range. Still exorbitant considering my S4 had dynamic engine mounts and they are under $300 to replace...but I'm guessing the Porsche ones are more advanced (probably $100 more advanced and the rest is Porsche tax).

Cheers,
NF
Old 11-01-2017, 08:05 PM
acky
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I got the PADM warning the second time this year.
When it occurs the first time the Porsche dealer replaced one engine mount.
At the first time, it says PADM FAILURE yellow sign.
6 month later now it says only PADM disabled, not yellow.

In both times I was driving in normal mode.
But the interesting thing is, that at both failures it was a colder day. 10°C = 50°F
Normally I drive only at 18°C (65°F) or hotter with the Boxster.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:16 PM
sessionstu
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Last month I had the PADM Failure warning light up on the dash of my 2013 C2S with 7k miles. I was going to swap out the part myself but after a call to Porsche they told me there may be a chance of getting it replaced under what they call "good will". The warranty on my car expired in July 2017. Last week I took the car to my local dealer and they replaced the mount under partial warranty. Porsche picked up 65% and I paid 35%. Basically it cost me $700.00. Which is obviously better than paying $1,300.00 for the part and risking doing it yourself. It's a DIY swap. You just need to remove the bumper and the air box and you should have enough room to remove the old mount. The new mount is plug and play.

One thing to note is there are two different PADM mounts. The one for my C2S is part number 991-375-059-08 and the one for a GT3/GT2 is 991-375-059-85. Not sure what the difference.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:26 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

So what happens if PADM goes out? Seems nobody knows a difference one way or another. Do they just default to the stiff setting? I imagine if someone wanted, they can drive on it with no issues. I.e, if so, still no worse off with Sport Chrono after warranty than without it.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:42 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 255 Posts

I drove with mine out for a few months as it was an intermittent thing off and on. Honestly couldn't feel a difference despite very spirited driving in the Black Forest in Germany. I have 22 months left on my CPO. Once its out of warranty I doubt I'd get it fixed.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:12 AM
sessionstu
Advanced

PADM Mount PN 991-375-059-08

The active engine mounts are there to control oversteer. So as long as you're not doing any crazy cornering the mounts should never be used. They are enabled when in sport and sport plus modes. But they only stiffen when there's a certain amount of lateral g-forces.

The only downside to not replacing a non-working mount is that you will never get the yellow warning off the dash. The ECU sends a health check to the PASM/PADM module. If a mount is not functioning, it will continue to show the yellow warning until it is replaced. No matter how many times you reset the fault in PIWIIS. Believe me, I tried to reset it without replacing the part.

Though it's fine to drive around with a non-functioning PADM mount, I was told by the Porsche technician that you should never drive your car if you get a PASM warning on the dash. The PASM/PADM module will continue to send signals to the suspension. From what I was told, if driven for too long it could render the PASM/PADM module useless. Not sure if that's true but that's what I was told. I do know the PASM/PASM module is expensive.

The pics above are from the PIWIIS tool. Basically showing an electrical problem with the PADM mount. The PADM mounts are non-serviceable parts.
The following users liked this post:
rsbenfield (08-15-2021)
Old 05-18-2018, 09:21 AM
sessionstu
Advanced

Originally Posted by K-A
So what happens if PADM goes out? Seems nobody knows a difference one way or another. Do they just default to the stiff setting? I imagine if someone wanted, they can drive on it with no issues. I.e, if so, still no worse off with Sport Chrono after warranty than without it.
If the PADM mount fails, it basically acts as a rubber engine/transmission mount. No different than a solid engine mount. When you corner hard, the PASM/PADM module sends a signal to either the right or left PADM mount, keeping the engine/transmission from moving off the chassis.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:25 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,235 Likes on 747 Posts

great info ^^
Old 08-29-2018, 08:38 PM
Madisongy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many thanks Plenum. Great information on price and CPO. I've got about 24 months left so I'll haul the thing into the dealer for the PADM warning. I'll suggest that they replace both, but I figure I already know how that discussion will go.

Sessionstu............Love that PIWIIS. Gotta look into that.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:15 PM
Madisongy
Advanced

At the local Porsche dealer today. They can get me in a week from tomorrow to run the evaluation. I was pretty surprised they couldn't simply connect the analyzer and determine which mount is bad to get the order rolling, but there it is. So took a trip back to the parts department............I have a 2015 (March, 2015 build) C2S, w/SC......6500 miles......$1410 per mount. Now the crap news.......none in the US. Oh, and backordered. The guy also said he can usually see if they have them in Germany, and is not seeing anything. Hmmm...........seems like a fairly widespread problem if they cannot even keep the mounts in stock. Wonder if they've figured out the design/manufacturer problem and addressed it?
More later as the story unfolds.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:23 PM
Madisongy
Advanced

At the dealer today, the left mount is defective and they will reorder. Absolutely refused to do both sides. Finally talked the Serv Mgr into discussing the issue with Porsche, but I doubt this will bear fruit. Part must be ordered from Germany, and is on backorder so cannot give me a date. Nice !!
Oh, and purchased the filter from them and did my own oil change. Requested a maint warning reset, and refused that as well. "Porsche will not allow us to do that". Nice !!
Old 09-07-2018, 08:44 PM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Had one of mine replaced (left side). Didn’t feel the need to push doing both as the right isn’t showing fault and has been rock solid so far. It it does go bad, easy to have them replace that as well.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:56 AM
Madisongy
Advanced

Originally Posted by hbear
Had one of mine replaced (left side). Didn’t feel the need to push doing both as the right isn’t showing fault and has been rock solid so far. It it does go bad, easy to have them replace that as well.
That's encouraging. How long ago did you replace the left side?

I've got two years left on the warranty, so yeah, as long as it fails within that period, I'm good. Based on some of the posts here, seems that once one side goes out, the other isn't far behind. Just trying to get ahead of the game, but I figured on this result.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:11 PM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I just got my car in spring (May), left side threw a fault about 2 weeks into ownership. Fixed right away (after finding part from a US dealer) and no issues since then. Granted only 6000km but still.
SA has mentioned it's not uncommon from what they understand but haven't actually had to deal with it much themselves. My takeaway was it's usually a one off type thing and the sides are unrelated (e.g. just because left goes doesn't mean the right is going to....probability of failure is not linked)
Old 10-10-2018, 01:32 PM
Madisongy
Advanced

Mount arrived 14 days after order. 16 more days to get the service appointment. Mount replacement took 1:45. Total cost of $1700, covered under CPO.
And just a pointer for the DIYers..........the guy did not remove the bumper cover. I saw him remove the spoiler and the air intake/fans, so sat down for a while. Went back after about 30 min to see the bumper removed,but the spoiler was back on and hood was down. They told me finished. I spoke with the mechanic and he said he could get it from up top so no need to remove bumper cover. I'll have to check that out next time I do an oil change.

Quick Reply: PADM Failure Again