Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about German Watch Thursday?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 11:37 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts
Default How about German Watch Thursday?

I noticed on the Watch thread very few people had a German watch. I remember seeing one Sinn in somebody's collection.

So let's get with it people! I doubt we'll have many contributors because not that many people in the US buy German, but show 'em if you got 'em.

I'm wearing this Tutima 760-42 Commando II today.

The story: I've loved chronographs but was annoyed by how unreadable most are for actual timing, since they put the minutes register in a tiny subdial that only reads 30 minutes and every time I want to time something it seems to be covered up by the hour hand.

So I discovered the Lemania 5100 movement 15 or so years ago. Perfect solution! The minutes and seconds are both read off of the full watch face, rather than a subdial. Perfect! So I bought a couple of different chronographs with the 5100, including an Oris and a Sinn (which was actually marketed and sold by Bell & Ross in the U.S. because Sinn didn't have distribution here at the time.) That watch worked great but because of all the complications and markings, it was hard to read at a glance, say while jogging. It had subdials for 24hour time, 12-hour counter, 60 second continuous seconds hand, and markings for tachymeter, day, date, 5th-of-a-second markings around the seconds chapter, etc. Very hard to read at a glance.

Then I happened upon a description of the Tutima I now own. It fixed all the problems with the other ones; got rid of all the subdials except the 12-hour counter, got rid of all the extraneous markings around the dial, got rid of the Day window, got rid of all the Superlative-Chronograph-type braggery on the dial, replaced the heavy steel construction with titanium.

So I chased them for about 60 days -- the watch was discontinued by this time as the 5100 is out of production -- till I found one in Japan, new-in-box. I've had it about 7 years, still love it to death.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:57 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

one of my several German watches : the Porsche 991 GT3RS equivalent techie SINN ( " zeen " ) EZM 10 Testaf pilot's mission timer chronograph with the brand's stereotyped " because they are German and cant help it " over-engineered traits incl lightweight scratch proof Tegimented titanium case, oil-free Diapal escapement in a Sinn take on the legendary Lemania 5100 chrono movement , dehumidifying Argon gas -filled case with replacable copper sulfate moisture -absorbing capsule since encased " dry " air still has water vapor in it that can cause corrosion in the movement, chemical and chlorine resistant EDR case seals vs typical rubber , -40C to + 80C operating range secondary lubricants, crystal secured from popping off in case of sudden cockpit decompression , locked-down vs pressed on rotating bezel , flourescent paint orange chrono hands for cockpit UV lighting and my two favorite features 1) COUNTDOWN bezel ( to mark minutes until start of bombing run, parking meter expiration or steak doneness on grill ,lol ) and 2) easy to read at a glance CENTRAL chronograph elapsed seconds AND MINUTES hand ( no squinting at 1/4 " diam subdial for reading latter in first or second 30 minute chunks depending on elapsed hours hand's position )

easy to see here in a quick glance that all-orange-handed chrono elapsed time is 1 hr , 7 min and 38 seconds and all-white-handed time is 9:11 am ( per 24 hr subdial in case wearer is inside a windowless nuclear weapons command bunker for days at a time ! ) and 27 seconds :

pilot's view showing just the critical chronograph mission elapsed-time hand set under cockpit UV light :

Last edited by MKW; 11-17-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:02 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 86 Posts

Another Tutima fan here; Grand Flieger. Great value for your buck.
Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2016, 07:34 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 317 Likes on 194 Posts

I've got a Sinn U1 with rubber strap that I absolutely love... pic from the internet to give you an idea. Only issue is the clasp is messed up and doesn't hold close. Need to get it in for service but no time these days.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:43 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Back from the dead thread.

Picked up a Laco Classic German watch back in March. Wear it sparingly -- it's only a $400 watch -- but I love the clean look.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:20 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 583 Likes on 265 Posts

No Glashutte yet? I'm surprised!
Old 06-07-2017, 03:16 AM
Elphilly
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not GO, but born there, nonetheless
Old 06-07-2017, 08:41 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

My other Flat Six

Old 06-07-2017, 08:55 AM
oolor13
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
I've got a Sinn U1 with rubber strap that I absolutely love... pic from the internet to give you an idea. Only issue is the clasp is messed up and doesn't hold close. Need to get it in for service but no time these days.

I also have a U1 as my "daily driver". Wearing it with the stainless bracelet now but usually swap out the rubber strap for the summer. It's tough. I've taken it under the ocean and to the tops of mountains. It has a scratch on the clasp from a fall on my way down from Mt. St. Helens.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:13 AM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 583 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Elphilly
Not GO, but born there, nonetheless
Stunning!
Old 06-07-2017, 02:15 PM
racemor
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 46 Posts

Wearing my Sinn 155 today.
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2017, 07:57 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

How are Porsche Design Watches? are they any good or just some standard watches with Porsche logo on them?
Old 06-07-2017, 08:16 PM
Elphilly
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The latter. They're junk with a logo.

Originally Posted by captainkirk
How are Porsche Design Watches? are they any good or just some standard watches with Porsche logo on them?
Old 06-07-2017, 08:31 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Elphilly
The latter. They're junk with a logo.
The only Porsche Design stuff I'd buy is the Rimowa luggage, but we already have all we need and it's warranty is like 20 years so I don't have any excuses to buy it
Old 06-07-2017, 08:59 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Back in the early days PD put their design into some decent watches. The Orfino with the PFD (black) case and the Lemania 5100 movement is considered desireable. But these days they're mostly Swiss quartz watches -- nice watches in the grand scheme of "All Watches" but of no interest to "Watch People."

Quick Reply: How about German Watch Thursday?