PPF on headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 12:26 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Just saw a set of headlights on a MY15 TTS delaminate after film installation. Ended up having a high end detailer sand off Porsche's UV coating and put on a ceramic sealant instead of dropping $3k on a new set. Looks good but I'm not sure how long it will last. Not trying to talk you out of PPF on the lights, just saying I've seen the de-lamination happen.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:25 AM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for all the responses so far. Very interesting, although I'm not sure it's helped sway me one way or the other. In fairness, I didn't expect that per se, knew I would likely hear a range off opinions. FWIW and if it matters, I won't be tracking this car (and it's not going to be a dd, which is ironic because my TT was a dd, but this car will be splitting time with my 7 series).
Old 10-28-2016, 10:50 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 422 Posts

Mine were covered by the PO. 2012 C2S with over 50K miles as a daily driver, NO ISSUES!
Old 10-28-2016, 10:55 AM
Dgags
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 72 Posts

My 2013 was covered to the edges. Both headlights cracked in multiple places around the edges. Dozens of small cracks from outer edge of the lights inward. Roughly half a centimeter long.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:17 PM
John_JC
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PPF is either cut to shape on the car or pre-cut through a pattern than installed. A lot of shops cut on the car. Maybe this is only an issue if the film is cut to shape on the car since there is a chance the knife etches the coating. Has anyone that used precut PPF on their lights have this issue? I removed precut film on my 2010 Boxster that I installed myself before I sold it and there were no issues. ... or maybe the 2010 Boxster did not have this problem to begin with.

Last edited by John_JC; 01-05-2018 at 08:19 PM. Reason: added context
Old 01-05-2018, 09:18 PM
FifthGear
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2017 with SunTek on LEDs, no issues, super happy.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:25 PM
Jbgill6535
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had the pre cut XPEL kit on my previous 14 C4S, current 15 Cayman GTS and my 16 Carrera GTS without any issues FWIW.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:07 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

I've used the same guy for PPF for 8 cars, 4 of them Porsches. He does very high quality work, knows his business, and he will not put PPF on Porsche headlights. If a customer insists, he will ultimately do it but will tell you that he assumes zero liability if there are issues during installation and/or down the road. I have trusted his judgement and did not have PPF installed on the Porsches. He had no problem putting it on 3 BMW's and 1 VW.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:20 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default My guy said no

He is the installer for whatever they are calling Brumos these days. XPEL issues a warning for this piece in the software saying Not under warranty. As a manufacturer I assume this means claims occured.

Originally Posted by trice9
My Targa 4S will be here in about a month. I've decided to do PPF (clearguard nano) on full front and modesta on full car. I've found an installer that I like/comes recommended/does excellent work, etc (as we all know, the biggest decision in this process).

I am unsure if I want to do PPF on the headlights. The installer says yes, there aren't any problems with delamination or any other issues. I am a little hesitant to do this. On my 997, after 60k miles, I didn't have PPF on the headlights and never had any damage. The headlights on the 991 bulge out so I wonder if they are more susceptible to damage?

For those that have done PPF, do you advise doing the headlights?
For those that have done PPF on the headlights, any issues?
Are the 991 headlights, given their shape, prone to rock chips/damage?

Thanks.
my guy
Old 01-07-2018, 04:22 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

I wonder if the reports of delamination have more to do with the extreme shearing stress placed on the light's surface with PPF rather than just the adhesion. Because of the very curved surface, an extraordinary amount of stretch needs to be placed on the PPF to make it sit flat without wrinkles along the edges. So much so that even though I had precut 3M PPF, I gave up after a hour of trying to make it lie flat and decided to cut the film across about 1/3 of the way from the top. Much easier to apply with almost as good protection, and even though you can see a line across, it doesn't look that bad. Might be a reasonable compromise if you're worried about delamination but still want some degree of protection.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:51 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by trice9
My Targa 4S will be here in about a month. I've decided to do PPF (clearguard nano) on full front and modesta on full car. I've found an installer that I like/comes recommended/does excellent work, etc (as we all know, the biggest decision in this process).

I am unsure if I want to do PPF on the headlights. The installer says yes, there aren't any problems with delamination or any other issues. I am a little hesitant to do this. On my 997, after 60k miles, I didn't have PPF on the headlights and never had any damage. The headlights on the 991 bulge out so I wonder if they are more susceptible to damage?

For those that have done PPF, do you advise doing the headlights?
For those that have done PPF on the headlights, any issues?
Are the 991 headlights, given their shape, prone to rock chips/damage?

Thanks.
Had Xpel installed for the full hood and front. Not headlights. Not recommended by the installer for my 991.2.

Quick Reply: PPF on headlights?