Sponsored by:

PPF on headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 01:58 PM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts
Default PPF on headlights?

My Targa 4S will be here in about a month. I've decided to do PPF (clearguard nano) on full front and modesta on full car. I've found an installer that I like/comes recommended/does excellent work, etc (as we all know, the biggest decision in this process).

I am unsure if I want to do PPF on the headlights. The installer says yes, there aren't any problems with delamination or any other issues. I am a little hesitant to do this. On my 997, after 60k miles, I didn't have PPF on the headlights and never had any damage. The headlights on the 991 bulge out so I wonder if they are more susceptible to damage?

For those that have done PPF, do you advise doing the headlights?
For those that have done PPF on the headlights, any issues?
Are the 991 headlights, given their shape, prone to rock chips/damage?

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:18 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Most members and users on this site will likely tell you NO, don't PPF the headlamps. Delamination is the usual reasoning given. Oh, and right there in the owners manual it has some statement about not putting anything over the headlamps as excessive heat buildup could be bad, or something along those lines.... All good reasons!

I, on the other hand, have had two sets of 991 headlamps PPF'd with two different products, one of those being tinted, and didn't have a single issue after two years of ownership. And I am glad I did have them covered! When I finally removed, the vinyl was etched by tiny little nicks and marks, but nothing penetrated to the headlamp glass! Full disclosure -- I installed myself, and have complete confidence in doing so. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Having someone else do it, not so much! LOL

As always, get the installer to stand behind their word and their work -- if they are telling you it is ok and no risk of damaging the glass (during removal esp!) then get them to guarantee that. I think most installers I've heard of on this board won't do headlamps out of fear of damaging and having to replace on their dime.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!
Old 10-27-2016, 05:12 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I have had my 2014 991S headlights covered since the first week of ownership. I wouldn't consider NOT covering the lights. Very happy I did so as some of the abuse they have taken would surely have left permanent scars or damage had they not been protected.

My installer uses Xpel. There is more than one thickness of film available and my installer uses the thinner variety to avoid any potential heat issues.

Of the dozen or so local PCA members I know who have new Porsche's, ALL of them have Xpel on the paint and headlights. Not a single issue reported.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:20 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
I have had my 2014 991S headlights covered since the first week of ownership. I wouldn't consider NOT covering the lights. Very happy I did so as some of the abuse they have taken would surely have left permanent scars or damage had they not been protected.

My installer uses Xpel. There is more than one thickness of film available and my installer uses the thinner variety to avoid any potential heat issues.

Of the dozen or so local PCA members I know who have new Porsche's, ALL of them have Xpel on the paint and headlights. Not a single issue reported.
+ 1 No issues at all.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:27 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Mine are covered, and have a few good sized nicks in them. I plan on doing it again when I have the film replaced.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:29 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

delamination is not caused by the film. I had the headlights on my CPO replaced under warranty for delamination. We noticed it after the PPF film was installed. Dealership said they occasionally see brand new cars come off the trailer with delaminated headlights, so they replaced them for me with no hassles.

Haven't gotten the new ones protected yet, but its a matter of time and not concern.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:32 PM
ddodds
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

Had mine done with Suntek, so far so good.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:53 PM
Jbgill6535
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Had it done on my 16 GTS after I saw how much damage was done to the lights on my 14 C4S. I used a reputable xpel installer who said that the issue of delamination is common in improper installation and removal. Wouldn't think twice about having him do it again.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:59 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Mine are done as well. No issues so far.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:22 PM
MinMay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The installer that performed on mine didn't recommend it. I spoke to two different installers and they both didn't recommend it. However, it was up to my decision if I wanted them or not. I decided not to install it.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:45 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Had mine covered along with a half bra and other bits in April 2012. No issues anywhere.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:54 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Not to be alarmist when so many here are saying it is okay, but there is are other threads discussing the peeling problem at the edges on some installations.

Apparently this isn't due to a bad installation of the film, it is because Porsche has coated the headlights with a very thin UV protectant coating. This coating can be pulled off by the film, and since the film on our headlights has to deal with a bit of a bulge it increases the pulling pressure at the edges. This can result in the coating being pulled free which makes the film look like it simply lifted.

For those whose installations didn't lift, the bigger problem happens when it comes time to remove the film for replacement. It can be difficult, maybe nearly impossible, to remove the film without pulling of parts of the thin coating.

Here is one of those threads I found in a quick Google search: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...amination.html
Old 10-27-2016, 11:07 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,067 Likes on 5,252 Posts

Cover the headlights.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:44 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
For those whose installations didn't lift, the bigger problem happens when it comes time to remove the film for replacement. It can be difficult, maybe nearly impossible, to remove the film without pulling of parts of the thin coating.
It's unfortunate that people have had problems. FWIW, I replaced the Xpel on one of my headlights earlier this year after it was marred by a hit on the track. For me, anyway, no issues. YMMV.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:49 PM
ArthurVandalay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Odds of delam vs Rock chip/crack happening first?

$1500 for one headlight.

ppf it

Quick Reply: PPF on headlights?