Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to program out the pops and crackling on decel w/ PSE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 12:41 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by thompalompa
Is it possible to fine tune everything in Individual Mode? Like "Idle Speed Increase = on, Throttle blip = off"?/T
Perhaps not.
At time 2:05 in the video below, the "Individual" Mode is explained, albeit briefly. It does not show you can change the basic functions you're asking about.
http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...a/vid/201-280/

After staring at the selections chart, then this video, I'm questioning my ability to recall all the options while I'm motoring along in traffic. Makes me long for the days when all you had was, maybe, three O-N / O-F-F switches.
Old 11-13-2016, 01:00 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

I have a 981S with PSE. If I select the sport button, it automatically activates PSE and the popping sounds are quite frequent and can be annoying to some. On the other hand if I just depress the PSE button, the popping sounds are significantly reduced. I don't know if it's the same on the 991, but in the 981 the difference is dramatic.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:23 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I have a 981S with PSE. If I select the sport button, it automatically activates PSE and the popping sounds are quite frequent and can be annoying to some. On the other hand if I just depress the PSE button, the popping sounds are significantly reduced. I don't know if it's the same on the 991, but in the 981 the difference is dramatic.
I noticed this last night.

I drive my son to karate every Tues / Thurs. Same route, same time. I usually have the car in normal mode, with the PSE activated.

Last night, for some reason I decided to put it in Sport with PSE activated. I couldn't believe the increase in number and duration of the pops and burbles. It was very noticeable. I have noticed that when hammering along I got more, but always thought it was because of how aggressively I was working the car. On this route, there is no opportunity to get on the car, hence the reason I never go in Sport.

Last night in Sport, even still driving the car gently, there was a ton of popping and gurgling. Interesting.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:22 PM
ericb44
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
I love how PSE sounds, but the fake pops and crackling when lifting off the throttle IMHO are embarrassing. 991's aren't running poorly set-up carbs. It's just about the only thing on the 991 I don't like. There must be a way to program it out -- anyone know?
100% agree with you. Maserati or Ferrari do it best, it isn't really fake. The 991.2 with PSE is just over the top with it obviously being fake.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:01 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I noticed this last night.

I drive my son to karate every Tues / Thurs. Same route, same time. I usually have the car in normal mode, with the PSE activated.

Last night, for some reason I decided to put it in Sport with PSE activated. I couldn't believe the increase in number and duration of the pops and burbles. It was very noticeable. I have noticed that when hammering along I got more, but always thought it was because of how aggressively I was working the car. On this route, there is no opportunity to get on the car, hence the reason I never go in Sport.

Last night in Sport, even still driving the car gently, there was a ton of popping and gurgling. AWESOME .
LOL fixed it for you. Guess I'm just a kid at heart.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:44 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
LOL fixed it for you. Guess I'm just a kid at heart.
LOL.

I don't mind them so much in normal mode / PSE on. I think in Sport or Sport Plus, you really have to be hooning the car to enjoy the crackling. Otherwise driving through the neighborhood at 35, you look like kind of a tool.

I'm still very happy with the PSE though.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:53 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes I agree. As much as I enjoy the snap crackle and snarl, there is a time and place for everything.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:19 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Why would anyone ever drive with sport not on?
Old 12-14-2016, 09:58 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Respect for neighbors, especially early in the morning or late at night.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:01 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Because I frequently take routes where the max speed I can hit is 50...and that's already over the limit.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:38 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm usually in Sport mode for an additional reason; it helps to decrease the lag between throttle lift and actual deceleration. When in Normal mode, it takes at least a full second for deceleration to begin, and if you happen to be going downhill it seems like an eternity.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:01 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by pfan
I'm usually in Sport mode for an additional reason; it helps to decrease the lag between throttle lift and actual deceleration. When in Normal mode, it takes at least a full second for deceleration to begin, and if you happen to be going downhill it seems like an eternity.
That is actually a fuel saving feature Porsche calls "gliding mode". It is only available when sport is not selected. It decouples the clutch and allows the car to freely coast to conserve momentum while the engine returns to idle. It is likely there just to gain another fraction of an MPG for EPA reporting as much as anything.

I also use normal mode when I'm working my way through neighborhood streets just to eliminate the popping. I don't want to annoy my neighbors, especially the people out having nice evening strolls or walking their pets or other situations where it is better to be politely discrete. Beyond that, I generally let'er rip in Sport.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:27 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
That is actually a fuel saving feature Porsche calls "gliding mode". It is only available when sport is not selected. It decouples the clutch and allows the car to freely coast to conserve momentum while the engine returns to idle. It is likely there just to gain another fraction of an MPG for EPA reporting as much as anything.

I also use normal mode when I'm working my way through neighborhood streets just to eliminate the popping. I don't want to annoy my neighbors, especially the people out having nice evening strolls or walking their pets or other situations where it is better to be politely discrete. Beyond that, I generally let'er rip in Sport.
I assume you're talking about the coasting feature with the PDK. I've got a Manual, so no coasting. I've read that the underlying reason for the delay is to burn any remaining fuel rather than exhaust it.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:30 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by pfan
I assume you're talking about the coasting feature with the PDK. I've got a Manual, so no coasting. I've read that the underlying reason for the delay is to burn any remaining fuel rather than exhaust it.
Ah! Yes I was thinking of the PDK. I didn't think the manual would have such a feature. Good to know.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:51 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Respect for neighbors, especially early in the morning or late at night.
Screw em!

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Because I frequently take routes where the max speed I can hit is 50...and that's already over the limit.
The car drives better at all speeds with sport on. Crisper, more responsive, better sounding.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to program out the pops and crackling on decel w/ PSE?