991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fair 991.2 discount

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016 | 07:38 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Interesting. 5% in spring/summer orders placed in the West Coast market is a very respectable discount. I had a hard time getting 3% off on a cash deal in 2013, as a first-time customer at the dealership in question. The transaction went about as you'd expect according to fuddman's post above.

Me: "I'm paying cash. Can I get 5% off?"
Dealer: "Why?"
Me: "Uh... well... OK, how about 3%?"
Dealer: "No."
Me: "Please?"
Dealer: "Fine, whatever."

In an all-cash deal with no trade, there just aren't enough degrees of freedom in the equation to leave room for haggling. If people are getting 5% off in similar circumstances, that makes me think the cars aren't moving as quickly as PCNA and its dealers would prefer.

Either that, or you guys are a bunch of Jedi-level negotiators.
Old 10-13-2016 | 07:46 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

can deals are worst for the dealers
dealers make a lot of money from people financing cars
a dealer can sell a car at cost and still make few thousand dollars on kick backs from banks
Old 10-13-2016 | 08:42 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

I got 6% on a ordered car ~$132k and I am a repeat in SoCal. My guy gets at least 2 cars a year in business because of me and he has gotten a third this year just recently on a cayenne turbo s purchase.

You should get at least 6% but I think a excellent deal is 7-7.5% for a high dollar repeat like yourself.

Stephen
Old 10-13-2016 | 08:43 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by pitt911
can deals are worst for the dealers
dealers make a lot of money from people financing cars
a dealer can sell a car at cost and still make few thousand dollars on kick backs from banks
Thousands in kickbacks on a 2 percent loan?

Nonsense. Anyone who can't get a market discount on an all cash deal is just a bad negotiator. There's very little spread in the finance market these days, and only a fool can't eliminate the spread anyway with a little shopping around for financing.
Old 10-13-2016 | 08:44 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

I agree - 6% on the East Coast is a good deal.
Old 10-13-2016 | 08:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Interesting. 5% in spring/summer orders placed in the West Coast market is a very respectable discount. I had a hard time getting 3% off on a cash deal in 2013, as a first-time customer at the dealership in question. The transaction went about as you'd expect according to fuddman's post above.

Me: "I'm paying cash. Can I get 5% off?"
Dealer: "Why?"
Me: "Uh... well... OK, how about 3%?"
Dealer: "No."
Me: "Please?"
Dealer: "Fine, whatever."

In an all-cash deal with no trade, there just aren't enough degrees of freedom in the equation to leave room for haggling. If people are getting 5% off in similar circumstances, that makes me think the cars aren't moving as quickly as PCNA and its dealers would prefer.

Either that, or you guys are a bunch of Jedi-level negotiators.
When I was looking to order a C2S in early '15, dealers in the Bay Area were offering me 4 percent off before I even started negotiating. If I were buying now, I'd be asking for 5 percent off minimum or I wouldn't buy the car.
Old 10-13-2016 | 09:05 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

greatly appreciate everyones responses so far.

I want a fair discount, but I would like to stick with the dealer from which I've purchased all my other Porsches. I'm on their list for a 991.2 GT3 and 991.2 RS, and they've always been an MSRP dealer for GT cars, however my sales agent has hinted that given the greatly increased demand for 991 GT cars, I need to bring money to the dealership in other ways such as trading in my GT cars or buying other new P-cars from them for me to continue to receive 1st year allocations of GT cars, so I want a fair discount on my 991.2 C2S, but I"m not going to push it.
Old 10-14-2016 | 01:32 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Having spent 25 years selling high line cars--started with Porsche-Audi and then 15 years with M-B--I can tell you there was very little "back end" profit on financing. Especially as the internet grew and the margins came tumbling down. The gross from finance was in the hundreds not thousands (leasing was better, sometimes much, much better).
When I started with M-B in the 80s there was a 20% profit margin at retail and the discounts were modest. When I left there was 9% and the discounts were deeper. I think Benz is working with a little smaller margins now. Porsche has probably kept margins higher than anyone else and their cars are in greater demand than most as well. I know most the guys at the dealership I purchased from and I don't think I left any money on the table at 5% off.
Old 10-14-2016 | 02:47 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
Having spent 25 years selling high line cars--started with Porsche-Audi and then 15 years with M-B--I can tell you there was very little "back end" profit on financing. Especially as the internet grew and the margins came tumbling down. The gross from finance was in the hundreds not thousands (leasing was better, sometimes much, much better).
When I started with M-B in the 80s there was a 20% profit margin at retail and the discounts were modest. When I left there was 9% and the discounts were deeper. I think Benz is working with a little smaller margins now. Porsche has probably kept margins higher than anyone else and their cars are in greater demand than most as well. I know most the guys at the dealership I purchased from and I don't think I left any money on the table at 5% off.
Your expert insight is much appreciated.
Old 10-14-2016 | 09:43 AM
Bemo
Drifting

We found our car in FL and it had been sitting for a while, 23% off MSRP later, I can tell you all you're leaving a lot on the table. Of course, there are variables such as custom orders and the need to have the latest and greatest. If you're willing to compromise, there are great deals to be had....
Old 10-14-2016 | 09:52 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bemo
We found our car in FL and it had been sitting for a while, 23% off MSRP later, I can tell you all you're leaving a lot on the table. Of course, there are variables such as custom orders and the need to have the latest and greatest. If you're willing to compromise, there are great deals to be had....
Interesting a 991.2?

I can't even find a 991.1 15 or 16 at that kind of discount.
Old 10-14-2016 | 09:58 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Sounds like only part of the story. With many many posts saying 5-6%, 23% is an outlier.
Old 10-14-2016 | 10:00 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Year and miles?
Old 10-14-2016 | 10:00 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

No way that was a 991.2 going for 23% off in CT.
Old 10-14-2016 | 10:01 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by subshooter
No way that was a 991.2 going for 23% off in CT.
It wasn't a 991.2 in any state. No .2's have been "sitting a while " yet.

Quick Reply: fair 991.2 discount