Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart Canyon Driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016 | 11:48 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Default Smart Canyon Driving

So I'm sure this will be a touchy subject. But I went for a donut run this morning with my son and we drove up the canyon behind my house. The canyon (US 24) is two lanes in both directions, has good visibility, good road conditions, and low traffic on a Sunday morning. It's a common route for fun driving in my area. The speed limit is only 45mph, but people regularly driving 60-65mph while only driving at 7-8/10ths.

On the way back down the canyon I had a Nissan Maxima riding my *** before I hit the twisty section. I start driving at a good clip through the corners and the Nissan was keeping up with me. I was probably driving a 8/10ths and staying in my lane (no other traffic was present), but he began cutting all the lanes and looked like his car was getting lose in the corners. It suddenly hit me that I have no idea who this person is, how good of a driver they are, and if they were to wreck I don't want to be linked to a serious accident. Also if I were to come around a corner with a speed trap, if I was by myself I would obviously get a speeding ticket. But if the cop saw another car driving fast right behind me then I might get a ticket for racing and/or reckless driving.

I decided to shut it down and slow back down to the speed limit to let this guy fly past me. So my question is would you guys have let another car have fun trying to keep up with you? Am I being too cautious by not letting this guy have fun? I know if I were 20 something again and had my GTI I probably would have tried to keep up with a 911 in the twisty's. But at the same time, if I'm driving by myself with no traffic, it's my own choice and I'm in control (relatively speaking). As soon as another car is involved, which I know nothing about, it makes me nervous that I can become tied to a messy situation if they decide to do something really dumb. I'm sure some people with criticize me for driving like this period, but although it was above the speed limit, I wasn't going anywhere near the limits of the car and I save more aggressive driving (9/10ths+) for the track.

:flame suit on:
Old 09-11-2016 | 11:53 AM
Dirac
Advanced

Good judgement. Take the flame suit off.
Old 09-11-2016 | 12:19 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

I live in Colorado too. We probably have the best roads in the US for testing the abilities of the car. Your concerns are my concerns too. In the Denver area street racing is becoming a serious problem. I believe the police can confiscate your car. So yes, if the police stop you, you might get off with just a ticket. But you could get written up for street racing and then you better know a good lawyer. I've had two good friends end up in jail for excessive speeding. They were in the out skirts of Colorado and the only two cars on the road (except for the police). They were ticketed for 25 mph over the speed limit and spent the night in jail.

Off topic ... do you do the Incline in Manitou? My wife and I try to do it every week. We are waiting for it to reopen in December.
Old 09-11-2016 | 12:37 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

No. Way. I did a canyon drive ONCE with some guys I didn't know. Never again.
Old 09-11-2016 | 12:43 PM
daberlin
Racer

Smart smart move. You as the lead (and more expensive) car would have been the LEO's first choice. Would/could have been charged with reckless, racing, dangerous driving, etc. And with a young (?) child in the car. Ugh. Nothing positive would have come out of that. I love the canyons in the Santa Monica mountains, but I wouldn't dream of racing other cars, or letting them pace me. Way too dangerous on those turns.
Old 09-11-2016 | 01:34 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Completely agree. I got in a similar situation and then realized the driver behind me must be close to losing control. Never again! Firstly I don't want to get a ticket and/or racing infraction, and secondly I don't want to cause someone to get injured in an accident or cause an accident by trying to keep up with me. As you said, leave the really fast driving for the track. That said, there is nothing wrong with some spirited driving now and then as long as you keep it safe.
Old 09-11-2016 | 01:55 PM
JustBud
Race Car

As a cyclist (I may have to put my flame suit on) I would like to say thank you. I know we all like driving in the canyons but they are a great place to ride too, both in a safe manner while having fun. I watched/helped/prayed as a friend of mine lost the battle for his life after a car/bike incident in 2011. It was a complete accident on each side so it was easier to live with but I would have been upset if the car driver was driving irresponsibly.
Old 09-11-2016 | 02:08 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Definitely a good call. You didn't want to goad the Maxima into pushing his car past its limits, and if he wanted to be a moron he should do it on his own without involving you.

I never "engage" when people try and toy with me.
Old 09-11-2016 | 02:10 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

I don't drive briskly with other cars. Even guys I know and I usually get left behind. I'm OK with that. Now, when I'm alone in the canyons, that's a different story.
Old 09-11-2016 | 02:39 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by n2cars
Off topic ... do you do the Incline in Manitou? My wife and I try to do it every week. We are waiting for it to reopen in December.
I usually do the incline a dozen times a year. I would like to do it more but my kids are a bit young so it's hard to find time to get out for a couple of hours. Plus I usually spend more of my "exercise mental health" time cycling.

As a cyclist (I may have to put my flame suit on) I would like to say thank you.
I'm a big cyclist as well. Looking out for other cyclists on the mountain roads is a big concern of mine. Notice my license plate below.

Old 09-11-2016 | 02:46 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Good call. If he's using the whole road to keep up, he's at his limit.
Old 09-11-2016 | 03:23 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

I get out of their ways, I slow down and move to the right, there is no competition.
Old 09-11-2016 | 03:37 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

I ride bicycles and motorcycles. Driving the back roads I always imagine coming around a blind corner and there is a bicycle right there in my lane. Helps me keep the pace down. Slightly OT story: Years ago I was out in the twisties riding a sport bike and caught up with another rider on a pristine vintage Honda CB750 motorcycle. I backed off a bit and followed but he sped up and promptly fell off in a slow turn. No injuries but some minor damage to his bike. I felt bad since if I hadn't showed up behind him he probably would not have crashed. Of course in the end he is the one who made the mistake, but I always remember that when I catch up with someone or have someone deep in the red mist behind me.
Old 09-11-2016 | 03:38 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by manitou202
I was probably driving a 8/10ths and staying in my lane (no other traffic was present),
8/10ths! Really? 8/10ths of your ability or the 911's??

And with your son as a passenger? That's nutty.

I'd bet there are maybe 3-4 regular posters on our Forum that can exploit 8/10ths of a 991's abilities. And I'm NOT one of them.
Old 09-11-2016 | 03:38 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

With your kid in the car, you made the right decision.
Jim

Quick Reply: Smart Canyon Driving