Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart Canyon Driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 03:43 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I stopped participating in any form of street racing after reading too many articles where a driver goes to prison because he was in a race where the other driver crashes and dies or kills someone else. Not going to prison for someone else's mistake.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:06 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 543 Likes on 206 Posts

You're with your son, enough said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-37198319
Old 09-11-2016, 04:11 PM
oolor13
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Good call, not work the risk. You don't know anything about that guy behind you.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:24 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 407 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
8/10ths! Really? 8/10ths of your ability or the 911's??

And with your son as a passenger? That's nutty.

I'd bet there are maybe 3-4 regular posters on our Forum that can exploit 8/10ths of a 991's abilities. And I'm NOT one of them.
8/10ths of my ability. The only way to quantify is my G-meter didn't even go past 0.80g's. Like I said, I was going above the speed limit, but no where near the limits of the vehicle or my driving ability. 8/10ths might even be too high of a rating.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:32 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

keep racing to the track. Driving in a "spirited" is one thing, but after tracking my car, nothing else compares so I'm not even tempted to race or drive aggressively on the street no matter who's on my tail.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:28 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Everybody wins. Maxima gets to go home thinking they can beat a 911, you get to go home losing, but proud because you had so much more to lose.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:32 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Everyone is avoiding the elephant in the room. So, how were the donuts? Do you know what I like better than donuts? Free donuts! Do you know what I like better than free donuts? Two free donuts!!
The following users liked this post:
SBAD (12-12-2020)
Old 09-11-2016, 09:58 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 655 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
I usually do the incline a dozen times a year. I would like to do it more but my kids are a bit young so it's hard to find time to get out for a couple of hours. Plus I usually spend more of my "exercise mental health" time cycling.

I'm a big cyclist as well. Looking out for other cyclists on the mountain roads is a big concern of mine. Notice my license plate below.

Very nice, I wish California would issue a plate like that, I would have it on all my vehicles. My kids are grown now, really looking forward to more time on the bike, and some time in my first Porsche (it arrives late December! )
Old 09-11-2016, 10:43 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
keep racing to the track. Driving in a "spirited" is one thing, but after tracking my car, nothing else compares so I'm not even tempted to race or drive aggressively on the street no matter who's on my tail.
+1
Old 09-11-2016, 11:47 PM
eddtiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wise choice! With your son in the car, a no brainer, let the Maxima be the king of the road.

As some have mentioned, I tend to lag behind other cars when driving in a pack. When by myself in spirited mode, I tend to push the car more knowing there are lesser obstacles.

Safe driving!
Old 09-12-2016, 12:51 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 444 Posts

Yeah I agree...I'd have let dude pass and enjoy the canyon run by himself and far ahead of me. If he wiped out after losing control you know he would have cited you in some way to the authorities and you may have had some liability criminally or maybe even civil as well. He could have been filming the event with a Go Pro or dash cam or even just a basic cell phone which to the average person or police unaware of your intent and purpose of the AM drive would have jumped to numerous conclusions likely none of them good. Rich guy street racing/showing off comes to mind 1st and hefty fines and penalties could have resulted. If there had been a serious accident and injuy even more...so glad that you ceased the drive and let him go on. I've heard of a couple of cases in Europe especially where guys were filmed driving aggressively or fast and the authorities saw them posted on social media and used the video to track the drivers down and prosecute them!

As other's have said I don't even entertain those type of drivers anymore. Today while driving home on I-10 I had a guy in new plates in a Scion BRZ flying up to keep up with me and then passing me at speed....I was only going about 75-80 mph and gently passing traffic..nowhere near aggressive or 6/10, 7/10, or 8/10 in my car but I could tell this guys wanted to push it and pass me so I let him pass. Better him than me....
Old 09-12-2016, 10:14 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 266 Posts

You kill me LexVan!

>Everyone is avoiding the elephant in the room. So, how were the donuts? Do you know what I like better than donuts? Free...<

DaveGee
Old 09-12-2016, 10:30 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
So I'm sure this will be a touchy subject. But I went for a donut run this morning with my son and we drove up the canyon behind my house. The canyon (US 24) is two lanes in both directions, has good visibility, good road conditions, and low traffic on a Sunday morning. It's a common route for fun driving in my area. The speed limit is only 45mph, but people regularly driving 60-65mph while only driving at 7-8/10ths.

On the way back down the canyon I had a Nissan Maxima riding my *** before I hit the twisty section. I start driving at a good clip through the corners and the Nissan was keeping up with me. I was probably driving a 8/10ths and staying in my lane (no other traffic was present), but he began cutting all the lanes and looked like his car was getting lose in the corners. It suddenly hit me that I have no idea who this person is, how good of a driver they are, and if they were to wreck I don't want to be linked to a serious accident. Also if I were to come around a corner with a speed trap, if I was by myself I would obviously get a speeding ticket. But if the cop saw another car driving fast right behind me then I might get a ticket for racing and/or reckless driving.

I decided to shut it down and slow back down to the speed limit to let this guy fly past me. So my question is would you guys have let another car have fun trying to keep up with you? Am I being too cautious by not letting this guy have fun? I know if I were 20 something again and had my GTI I probably would have tried to keep up with a 911 in the twisty's. But at the same time, if I'm driving by myself with no traffic, it's my own choice and I'm in control (relatively speaking). As soon as another car is involved, which I know nothing about, it makes me nervous that I can become tied to a messy situation if they decide to do something really dumb. I'm sure some people with criticize me for driving like this period, but although it was above the speed limit, I wasn't going anywhere near the limits of the car and I save more aggressive driving (9/10ths+) for the track.

:flame suit on:
You made the right call.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:09 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Just an observation, but it sounds like the trailing driver was letting the OPs 911 drive his car. That is, the red mist sets in and you're trying so hard to keep up and follow someone else's line/speed that you end up driving beyond your/your car's ability to remain safely in control. It happens all across the ability spectrum; I've seen (and done it) at DEs and even recall Mark Webber, many years ago, going off because of this.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:18 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
8/10ths! Really? 8/10ths of your ability or the 911's??

And with your son as a passenger? That's nutty.

I'd bet there are maybe 3-4 regular posters on our Forum that can exploit 8/10ths of a 991's abilities. And I'm NOT one of them.
I have an NASA and SCCA license. My ability is at ~ 4/10ths of the car's capability. This includes over 2 decades of going to driving schools and having my ego deflated constantly.

To put in perspective - @8/10ths that means there is ~2/10ths or 20% likelihood of making a mistake

That being said - I'll drive spiritedly; yet not enough to get a ticket, in the mountains and see trucks/jeeps "think" they are keeping up. Likely they post on the redneck/budwiser forums how they are so good at driving that they can hang with a 911, especially if they are young

Quick Reply: Smart Canyon Driving