Sponsored by:

How to take care of XPel... came with my car

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 02:46 AM
scooter100
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default How to take care of XPel... came with my car

My new to me 991 is covered head to toe with XPel. The prior owner must have spent a small fortune to put this stuff on but I don't know squat about how to maintain it. Questions...

1) Can I use Griot's Speed Shine to give the car a quick bath?

2) Are pressure washers bad? My hand car wash still uses a pressure washer on occasion to get grime off (like the rims).

3) Do you still wax the car with this stuff on? Or is waxing a thing of the past.

4) It looks like there is routine maintenance (every 3-4 months) but seems like a pain in the rear... I was thinking of taking it to my detailer to do it but don't want to drop the equivalent of a detail every few months. Any advice?
Old 09-03-2016, 08:21 AM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

1. I would not use any QD with color since the film will absorb the pigment. Use a specific QD for PPF like XPel or Chemical Guys.

2. I use a pressure washer on mine but only at 800 PSI. The problem with pressure washers is picking up a seam and lifting the film.

3. There is no need to wax PPF. XPel sells a sealant specific for their films which I use once a while. I've seen people using all kinds of expensive coatings on top of PPF . As per my installer No need! Save your money.

The most important thing in taking care of your PPF is washing the car once a week and keeping dirt and bird droppings out of it, as well as the sun.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

I have full front and have had some sort of clear bra for 10 years.

You can wash and wax it like normal. That includes quick detail. Just be careful as the clear bra can scratch easier than paint, so washing is a safer option.

Pressure washing is risky. If you catch an edge of the clear bra with pressure you are going to kick yourself.

You are not supposed to clay bar a clear bra due to the scratching issue but I"ve used a very fine clay with lots of lubrication for years with no issues.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:21 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hand wash only. Bug remover on bird droppings and insects. I use ultimate quick detailer first, then coat it with liquid wax. Don't recommend claying on xpel. Used soft clay once and its residue stuck on the surface. Never again.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:46 AM
scooter100
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by trucheli
1. I would not use any QD with color since the film will absorb the pigment. Use a specific QD for PPF like XPel or Chemical Guys.
Sorry for the newb question...Which Chemical Guys products? Looks like Amazon has a bunch that I can have in my hands today to give the car a bath.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:24 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter100
Sorry for the newb question...Which Chemical Guys products? Looks like Amazon has a bunch that I can have in my hands today to give the car a bath.
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Clear_Se..._p/wac_767.htm
Old 09-03-2016, 03:17 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Just wash and protect however you feel comfortable with- unless it was cheap film, you have to try to put marks in it from any normal washing routine.
If the PPF was installed "properly" there shouldn't be any seams / edges releasing from power washing. The film should be wrapped around all panel edges effectively hidden from view and protected from the elements. Unfortunately the "bra" approach with partial panel coverage leaves seams exposed, and over time they will release in my experience even if you don't use a power washer.
And anyways, common sense is you don't focus the wash jet on the seams, just like you wouldn't focus it on the engine vents or weatherstripping edges.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:11 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

Just finished mine with Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish and Wet Diamond Sealer using my Griots orbital. Xpel takes the polish and sealer well and is easier to clean.
Attached Images    
Old 09-04-2016, 05:27 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Both my 2013 981B and 2017 991.2 C4S have EXPEL entire front end treatment.
I do nothing but wash with Turtle Wax car wash and use a nylon bug&tar/oil remover pad.
It requires nothing else. Looks fine and does it's job off and on the Track.-Richard
Old 09-05-2016, 11:26 PM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got EXPEL ppf on the entire front end and mirrors of my C2S Cab. I hand wash the car with Meguiar's Ultimate Car Wash, apply EXPEL Flawless Finish Paint Protection Film Sealant to the ppf and Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax to the rest of the car. EXPEL says apply Sealant at least every 3 mos. to preserve the gloss. For spot cleaning bugs, bird bombs, etc., I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer. Although Meguiar's says you can also use their other products such as Ultimate Liquid Wax, Ultimate Quik Wax, Gold Class Quik Wax, and any of their quick detailers on the ppf, I stay with the EXPEL Sealant (and Ultimate Detailer when needed). A 16 oz bottle of EXPEL Sealant costs about $21 and with 4-5 applications per year will probably last 3-4 years.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by Nin Din Din; 09-06-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:16 PM
Auto Armour Inc
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter100
My new to me 991 is covered head to toe with XPel. The prior owner must have spent a small fortune to put this stuff on but I don't know squat about how to maintain it. Questions...

1) Can I use Griot's Speed Shine to give the car a quick bath?

2) Are pressure washers bad? My hand car wash still uses a pressure washer on occasion to get grime off (like the rims).

3) Do you still wax the car with this stuff on? Or is waxing a thing of the past.

4) It looks like there is routine maintenance (every 3-4 months) but seems like a pain in the rear... I was thinking of taking it to my detailer to do it but don't want to drop the equivalent of a detail every few months. Any advice?
We install Xpel everyday and we recommend following the guidelines listed on Xpel's website: http://www.xpel.com/postinstallation/care-instructions/

XPEL ULTIMATE Protection Film: Care Instructions
To keep your film looking great, follow a few simple guidelines:

Wait 48 hours after installation to wash your car.
Remove insect or other stains as soon as possible with bug and tar remover.
Stubborn stains can be removed with 99% isopropyl alcohol or lacquer thinner. Take care to keep these chemicals off the vehicle’s paint.
Seal with XPEL Flawless Finish Paint Protection Film Sealant at least once every 3 months to preserve high gloss
Light scratches in the film will self-heal in 20-30 minutes at room temperature. In colder conditions, or to accelerate the process, pour warm water (120°F) over the affected area.
All Other XPEL Protection Films: Care Instructions
Wait 48 hours after installation to wash your car
Use only soft terry cloth or microfiber towels on the film
Do NOT wipe or scrub the film in direct sunlight or when the film is hot
Do NOT use abrasive cleaners on the film
Do NOT use dyed or colored car waxes on the film

Removing Scratches

Most scratches in the film can be removed using a rotary or dual-action buffer. For best results, it is recommended to use 3M Perfect-It Machine Polish (part number 06064) used with their color coded buffing pad (Part number 05738). If needed, this product can be followed by 3M Perfect-It Ultrafine Machine Polish (part number 06068) used with the blue pad (part number 05733) to restore a deep, swirl-free shine.

Waxing the Film

Contamination from road oils, diesel smoke, pollen, and pollution can cause discoloration and deglossing of the film. While traditional automotive waxes can provide a small level of protection against contamination, XPEL Flawless Finish Film Sealant is designed specifically to provide the strongest possible barrier against these and other contaminants. Moreover, waxes that contain dyes and other chemicals such as naphtha or kerosene may discolor or degloss the film over time and should be avoided.

To keep up shine, we also recommend looking into CQuarts Finest: http://www.cqfinest.com/find-an-installer/
It makes your vehicle look unbelievable and it works great with paint protection film!

Quick Reply: How to take care of XPel... came with my car