Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Manhattan / Manhattan Motor Cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016 | 12:41 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Bradley,

My use of the word stupid was strong but who would ever think an adult can sit in the back seat of a 911. Of course the dealership personnel were all over you. No one does that for an adult. Unless you are thinking that you are at the NY Auto Show and want to get inside the car and play with all the *****. Every dealership has the right to keep tight controls over how their cars are being treated.

You are a Brooklyn guy....someone who likely has great street smarts. From a longtime Brooklyn person to another, yours and your friends actions are what caused the dealership to be on top of you (and wanting you out of there as soon as possible). BTW, if you are passionate about cars, you might understand what I meant about possible damage; that someone with size 12 feet trying to get out of the back seat of a 911 will likely scuff the rear of the front seat and cause issues for the dealer.

For some reason when writing this post, I am thinking about the old Porsche commercial where a young boy rides up to the dealership on his bicycle and goes inside. The salesman invites him to sit in the drivers seat and afterwards the young boy say that he will be back someday.

BTW..good luck with your new car. Been driving 911s since the late 80s and they are terrific. Please note.....Not for adults in the back seat!
Old 09-02-2016 | 12:53 PM
Geiss
Instructor

I remember when I was young, like 18 or so, I went to a Porsche dealer, Beverly Hills Porsche maybe and asked the salesman if I could sit in the car. He gave me a flat out "no" and just stood right by the car I was interested in looking at until I left.
Old 09-02-2016 | 12:59 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Proud to say my bride of 25+ years is still small enough and flexible enough to fit in the rear seat for short drives. More importantly, she has a great attitude about it and it allows us to take the Porsche when our 6'-2" son is with us.
Old 09-02-2016 | 01:08 PM
Geiss
Instructor

Funny joke deleted for lack of relevance.

Last edited by Geiss; 09-02-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-02-2016 | 02:32 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

I've been going to Porsche dealerships since I was a teenager.

Most times I was shown respect, allowed to sit in cars, and when I asked to drive them, was given the keys to take a test drive.

Part of the reason I bought from Edmonton Porsche was they let me take out Boxsters in the 90's when i was searching for a convertible and Cayennes when they first came out.

Dealerships and sales reps who make assumptions and qualify each potential customer, can make a serious error. Being in sales, I try to leave my assumptions and prejudices behind when I am working.
Old 09-02-2016 | 02:35 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Bradley,

My use of the word stupid was strong but who would ever think an adult can sit in the back seat of a 911. Of course the dealership personnel were all over you. No one does that for an adult. Unless you are thinking that you are at the NY Auto Show and want to get inside the car and play with all the *****. Every dealership has the right to keep tight controls over how their cars are being treated.

You are a Brooklyn guy....someone who likely has great street smarts. From a longtime Brooklyn person to another, yours and your friends actions are what caused the dealership to be on top of you (and wanting you out of there as soon as possible). BTW, if you are passionate about cars, you might understand what I meant about possible damage; that someone with size 12 feet trying to get out of the back seat of a 911 will likely scuff the rear of the front seat and cause issues for the dealer.

For some reason when writing this post, I am thinking about the old Porsche commercial where a young boy rides up to the dealership on his bicycle and goes inside. The salesman invites him to sit in the drivers seat and afterwards the young boy say that he will be back someday.

BTW..good luck with your new car. Been driving 911s since the late 80s and they are terrific. Please note.....Not for adults in the back seat!
You've been driving 911s since the 80s thus you have experience with them.

I've had 4 S Classes in a row (W140, W220, W221, W222)

First time going from my comfort zone to the world of the unknown.

My life itself doesn't change - my activities remain the same. Just wanted to see if it would work out.

Not that big of a deal
Old 09-02-2016 | 02:53 PM
911sccab
Racer

Originally Posted by Geiss
The backseat is really only there to reduce insurance premiums. Correct me if I'm wrong. Personally I'd prefer my Porsche without them.
We put our children in the backseat.

Frankly, if there were no backseat I don't think there'd be a new 911 in our garage as the opportunities to ever use it would be few and far between.

Given actuarial sophistication and claims history, I'm fairly certain the presence or absence of a few extra seat cushions has a negligible impact on insurance premiums.

Anyhow, back to OP's point. I believe until given substantial reason to behave otherwise, when offering goods for sale one should also offer suitable hospitality.
Old 09-02-2016 | 04:19 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

My dealership entertained my desires to check to see if a rear-facing car seat fits in the rear seats (it does). I also did bring in luggage to see what would fit in the frunk. My carry on luggage fits fine with room for a small duffel on top of it. My checked luggage did not fit. But now I know.

Like many, I wouldn't have purchased the 911 if I couldn't get some amount of functionality out of it. If they would have laughed me out of there for bringing in a child seat and two pieces of luggage, they wouldn't have earned the sale and I'd be likely driving an M4 instead.
Old 09-02-2016 | 09:31 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Dealers are very concerned about people who walk in and screw around in each of their cars. They can smell a real buyer vs a lookie lou. Trying to fit an adult in the rear seat is stupid. The interior can be easily damaged. Are you surprised that the sales associates are wondering what you are up to.
As vexing as that can be, this is NYC, and strange people off the street LOVE to walk into your establishments and do weird things without any intent of becoming a customer. So you are correct.

I own a few brick and mortar businesses in Manhattan. One is on 42nd st. I can't tell you how many bored, unemployed ne'erdowells come in to pretend like they want something, take a brochure, pretend to read it, grab a handful of lollipops, and leave. We don't say anything because we aren't sure if they are mentally stable and we don't want to become the object of their psychosis.

Now, I understand to anyone not from Manhattan, that experience can be disconcerting. It certainly isn't right for the staff to treat you that way and be presumptuous about your intentions, but at the same time, did you explain to them your relationship to Porsche, that you just ordered a car and may possibly want to begin a relationship with them?

Of course, that's their job to find that out as well, and unfairly judging you by whatever measure they used to prospect you is unkind. But AGAIN, this is Manhattan. And there are many strange, careless people.

When I was young, I went to Manhattan Motorcars looking at a Gallardo Spyder and was treated well. I told them what car I owned (a big part of prospecting -- can the person afford it?) and drove the car. I didn't end up buying because I couldn't really afford it without making a foolish financial decision. But I never forgot the hospitality. Similar experience at Lamborghini Long Island.

When my father goes to buy a car, he is treated much differently than even I am. Why? He fits the typical prospect. Middle-aged man who ostensibly has better things to do than BS at a car dealership. That's also not fair, but these associations are built through experience.

Again, try to see it from their perspective and next time, introduce yourself to one of them. You're a real customer. If they knew that, I am certain they wouldn't act that way.

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott

No they can't. Not today. From a hedge fund billionaire to a 28 year old "suddenly rich" from a sold APP, to a 17 yo making hundreds of thousands of dollars from their youtube channel - you can't place judgement by smell and sight. Those days are over. In with a Suit and Tie, to Jeans and a Tee Shirt, to Shorts and a polo - you simply can't know the abilities of anyone's' purchasing abilities.

You're telling me this kid - who's ********* are still in the upright position would pass the smell test at a Range Rover dealership? He made several hundred thousand from his silly youtube channel or "VLOG" as he calls it - and blew all his cash on this car. (The sick thing is his parents let him). So You tell me what dealership would look at him upon entering with serious eyes and attention. I'd bet all would dimiss him as a fanboy of the brand. And then he wrote a check...
MY NEW CAR - 2016 RANGE ROVER AUTOBIOGRAPHY - YouTube
Yes, you are right. That does happen. But it's EXTREMELY uncommon. A few aberrations are not going to alter perception unless, again, the buyer calmly explains that they do in fact have money.

That's counter-intuitive at a car dealer. You don't typically want to tell the salespeople you have money since that will be used against you in negotiations. But unless you're Justin Bieber, it is the only way to get them to take you seriously.

Notice how sales people ALWAYS ask what you do and what car you currently have? It's prospecting disguised as small talk.

The same can be said for high end retailers. I've heard horror stories where people are dismissed or rudely turned away by sales people. "We don't have things in your size". "We have nothing here for you."

So how do they tell? A lot of it has to do with your demeanor, but subtle cues like what kind of shoes you're wearing or an expensive handbag are clues.

My mother dresses like a bum. Literally, like a vagabond or gypsy beggar. But she always has an Hermés bag of some type. She buys an ungodly amount of crap. Salespeople can tell almost instantly. It's not how you dress necessarily.

Originally Posted by OP
That's your opinion. I happen to disagree with you 100%. An adult coming from a 4 door luxury car wanting to see if there is a possibility of someone being able to sit in the back seats is perfectly acceptable. Especially if that person already purchased a similar model (like myself) or a prospective buyer. Someone spending this much money on a car should be able to try the rear seats - should be able to bring their own suitcase to put in the trunk for fitting purposes, etc. This is an expensive commitment - and the buyer should feel as comfortable with it as possible.
I agree. Who is your dealer?

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
Yes. The receptionist unlocked the targa as seen above. She was quite nice - no problem. Then the salesman came over (at least I think he was a salesman) and the negative vibes and personality lingered. It's just something one must experience. Years and years ago, a few very high end ritzy shops on 5th Avenue were kind of exposed for making African Americans feel uncomfortable in their shops. Trailing them from a strange distance that says "I know you're not going to buy anything - but I want to make sure you aren't going to steal anything - but I'm going to stand at this distance hoping you won't notice, but I have my eyes on you like a laser" That's what we felt yesterday - and he seemed to swoop in the moment we put our hands on the door handles. It was just very uncomfortable.

And yes - when my friend sat in the back seat - you could get skin cancer from the magnifying eyeball rays he was sending us.
Again, this is Manhattan. Racism is absolutely contemptible, but it all boils down to prospecting. Who's for real? Who's there for the experience because their podunk town is lucky to have a Macy's, let alone a Dolce & Gabbana? Asians tend to spend a lot of money as travelers. These stores always have a Korean and Japanese-speaking sales associate. Americans spend a lot of money. Hence, when I go to ANY boutique in Paris, there is always someone to speak English. It's just good sense.

I really don't like it. I'm fortunate enough to belong to the group that can and does buy unnecessary luxury crap. But I would HATE to feel like you did.

That said, you have to know that it's likely to happen, and your best bet is to explain your purpose for being there. Just my advice, from one relatively young man to what I presume is another.

BTW, I walked past the dealer yesterday with my dog. The mint Cayenne does not do it for me, but the mint Turbo is hawt!

I also noticed a lot of Targas in their showroom. Wonder if those are becoming more popular.
Old 09-02-2016 | 10:27 PM
sp330
Racer

Don't worry about it. I was treated the same way at Manhattan Porsche. How could they know I bought a new Porsche just a month before and wanted to see the new turbo Carreras?

They have to deal with more crazies than the average Porsche dealer.
Old 09-02-2016 | 10:43 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Conversely, I was in Beverly Hills for work and I took an Uber to BH Porsche wearing my finest shorts and polo shirt and was treated pretty well. In fact, I came pretty close to ordering through them even though I live on the other side of the country because they were knowledgeable and willing to deal.

Now having said that, a test drive in Beverly Hills (or Manhattan, for that matter) doesn't really tell me much about the performance of the vehicle. But it was a start.
Old 09-02-2016 | 11:05 PM
Geiss
Instructor

Manhattan and Beverly Hills, are very touristy hence the demeanor towards touristy looking people walking into the show room. If that were my future car I'd want them to have kept an eye on it.

Ive visited many Porsche dealers prior to buying my car but once I purchased it (from Manhattan Porsche actually) I now have no need to visit any Porsche show rooms until the next purchase.

And just to add, Manhattan Porsche was a very pleasant experience to buy a car from. The level of care they showed toward my GTS is incredible. Only 18 miles on the clock suggests they didn't let just anyone test drive it. It sat in a covered garage until sale. No scratches, blemishes, dents, interior issues whatsoever. The sales guy was awesome to deal with, very to the point.

Compare that to the MB CLS63 I bought here in Jackson. Sat in an uncovered lot, had a large scratch on the hood, I didn't bother test driving the car (it's an AMG I figured!) despite having 85 miles on the odometer which they couldn't explain why, and that turned out to be a problem. As I drove off the lot I noticed it pulled to the left. Typical dealer response "it's the curve of the road!" Total BS. They told me it couldn't be leased so I ended up buying it. Then afterwards they couldn't explain why it couldn't be leased. That was probably a good otherwise I'd still be stuck with that piece of junk.

The transmission at 2K miles wouldnt switch from 1st to 2nd on cold start. I replicated it with them, and after speaking to Germany, their response was: let the transmission heat up to operating temperature. Ticking noise from the front right engine area. And everytime I took the car in for service I'd get an additional 100 miles. It was only after the car kept having transmission issues that I knew I had to get rid of it.

That's why I didn't even bother going there to buy a Porsche (owned by the same guy); would rather give my hard earned money to the meticulous folks in NYC.

Edit: I'm wrong I think. I actually bought my car from Manhattan Motorcars. My apologies!
Old 09-02-2016 | 11:24 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by Unconscionable
As vexing as that can be, this is NYC, and strange people off the street LOVE to walk into your establishments and do weird things without any intent of becoming a customer. So you are correct.

I own a few brick and mortar businesses in Manhattan. One is on 42nd st. I can't tell you how many bored, unemployed ne'erdowells come in to pretend like they want something, take a brochure, pretend to read it, grab a handful of lollipops, and leave. We don't say anything because we aren't sure if they are mentally stable and we don't want to become the object of their psychosis.

Now, I understand to anyone not from Manhattan, that experience can be disconcerting. It certainly isn't right for the staff to treat you that way and be presumptuous about your intentions, but at the same time, did you explain to them your relationship to Porsche, that you just ordered a car and may possibly want to begin a relationship with them?

Of course, that's their job to find that out as well, and unfairly judging you by whatever measure they used to prospect you is unkind. But AGAIN, this is Manhattan. And there are many strange, careless people.

When I was young, I went to Manhattan Motorcars looking at a Gallardo Spyder and was treated well. I told them what car I owned (a big part of prospecting -- can the person afford it?) and drove the car. I didn't end up buying because I couldn't really afford it without making a foolish financial decision. But I never forgot the hospitality. Similar experience at Lamborghini Long Island.

When my father goes to buy a car, he is treated much differently than even I am. Why? He fits the typical prospect. Middle-aged man who ostensibly has better things to do than BS at a car dealership. That's also not fair, but these associations are built through experience.

Again, try to see it from their perspective and next time, introduce yourself to one of them. You're a real customer. If they knew that, I am certain they wouldn't act that way.

Yes, you are right. That does happen. But it's EXTREMELY uncommon. A few aberrations are not going to alter perception unless, again, the buyer calmly explains that they do in fact have money.

That's counter-intuitive at a car dealer. You don't typically want to tell the salespeople you have money since that will be used against you in negotiations. But unless you're Justin Bieber, it is the only way to get them to take you seriously.

Notice how sales people ALWAYS ask what you do and what car you currently have? It's prospecting disguised as small talk.

The same can be said for high end retailers. I've heard horror stories where people are dismissed or rudely turned away by sales people. "We don't have things in your size". "We have nothing here for you."

So how do they tell? A lot of it has to do with your demeanor, but subtle cues like what kind of shoes you're wearing or an expensive handbag are clues.

My mother dresses like a bum. Literally, like a vagabond or gypsy beggar. But she always has an Hermés bag of some type. She buys an ungodly amount of crap. Salespeople can tell almost instantly. It's not how you dress necessarily.

I agree. Who is your dealer?

Again, this is Manhattan. Racism is absolutely contemptible, but it all boils down to prospecting. Who's for real? Who's there for the experience because their podunk town is lucky to have a Macy's, let alone a Dolce & Gabbana? Asians tend to spend a lot of money as travelers. These stores always have a Korean and Japanese-speaking sales associate. Americans spend a lot of money. Hence, when I go to ANY boutique in Paris, there is always someone to speak English. It's just good sense.

I really don't like it. I'm fortunate enough to belong to the group that can and does buy unnecessary luxury crap. But I would HATE to feel like you did.

That said, you have to know that it's likely to happen, and your best bet is to explain your purpose for being there. Just my advice, from one relatively young man to what I presume is another.

BTW, I walked past the dealer yesterday with my dog. The mint Cayenne does not do it for me, but the mint Turbo is hawt!

I also noticed a lot of Targas in their showroom. Wonder if those are becoming more popular.
I honestly don't know how much to say at a dealership to begin with besides "Hi, yes I would like to look at X" to which they reply, they are there to answer any questions. Well obviously - i don't think they are there to look like walking art.

Having someone hover over you in any circumstance is a cue to get out. It's uncomfortable and screams "I dont trust you"

The dealer I am getting my car from is Porsche of Warrington PA. I tried Ray Catena where we bought my mom her custom Range Rover. They wouldn't budget on the price of the porsche because of the rarity of the 4S. I sat with the salesman there to go over the numbers and he showed me all sorts of things on his computer portraying why I could not negotiate a better price.

However, they didn't trail me at the dealership there - I wasn't bothered. They asked me if I wanted coffee - and I thanked them and said I wanted to look around and they were totally cool with it. I'd have loved to get the car from them - but price was simply not workable. (We are talking 400 dollars more per month, a higher down payment, for the same exact car - which I was told I could probably not get for a LONG time). Wasn't going to work.

I'm glad you had a good experience at MMC downtown - I used to stop in a lot - I'm a car lover like everyone else. My last occassion there - I drove and parked in front (S550). Asked to sit in the Rolls Royce Ghost - and i was told, and I quote "We only open the doors for serious buyers". I said ok and left. What more could I do.

As you said - telling them you have the means = giving them the certainty that we don't need a discount - just want it. etc.

I also don't like the fakeness - "Yes.... I'm not wearing a suit but I have money" _ Why must one have to say this or imply it. I totally get it - They haven't a clue for the most part who walks in the door and if they have good intentions or not. I see their side. But that's the business they are in. They're selling high end cars and I say again, today - hermes bag or not - you just don't know who has the means or not.

Ever see the movie Clambake starring Elvis Presley? A wealthy young man, Scott Heyward (Elvis Presley) wants to experience life outside of his privileged upbringing. When he meets Tom Wilson (Will Hutchins), an earnest water-skiing instructor, Scott offers to trade places with him. As Tom warms up to the good life, Scott gets used to a less luxurious existence and falls for Dianne Carter (Shelley Fabares), who, ironically, is hoping to meet a rich man. Sticking to his humble guise, Scott tries to woo Dianne without the benefit of his true status.

So if Scott - in Thom's clothing walks into Porsche - they'd think he had a toyota budget.

And the weird oddities of fake convo begin.
Old 09-02-2016 | 11:53 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

IMHO, i would wager that you having someone take your picture while you sat in all/some of the cars caused a negative response to your experience at this dealership
Old 09-03-2016 | 12:17 AM
Geiss
Instructor

Funny they'd claim the 4S is rare. That's something I wouldn't expect to hear. I was at woodland hills Porsche and I asked the sales guy about the possibility of a discount on a custom ordered 2017 TTS. He said "no, we only get so many allocations and they sell". Behind me were two unsold 2016/2015 TTS lol. I probably would've bought a TTS if he said anything north of 6%.

Quick Reply: Porsche Manhattan / Manhattan Motor Cars