Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Manhattan / Manhattan Motor Cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 12:26 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the mint green. I hate the $300k price tags.
Personally, I'd rather buy a nice 964, and have it refurbed with a better interior and bare metal mint green repaint.

But that's just me. What do I know? I'm not a NYC hedge fund manager.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:58 AM
rebelceb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The primary thought that kept rattling around in my head while reading this thread, and really surprised nobody else said this, was,"why did you have to go test out the seat there on that day? Why not wait until you actually have your own car and have your buddies crawl all over it to see if they can ride upstate?"

Then again, something like that would be too obvious and would have prevented you from being able to be butt hurt. You have done more tooting of your own whistle and expressed how much money you think you have in this thread than is necessary. What's with the need to feel important on an Internet forum?

BTW, the color on those looks eerily similar to the color another NYC icon has made famous and the object of affection for females the world over.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:15 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 829 Likes on 458 Posts

I'm with Chris Harris....I'd rather spend that type of cash on a Singer Porsche and call it a day honestly.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:48 AM
Unconscionable
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bradley Scott, believe me, I'm with you. I'm not one who takes kindly to stingy businesses, snobbery, judgment, or condescension. Makes me wonder why I bother living in the epicenter of all those things.

You did the right thing by going out of town. I bought my car from Porsche Larchmont and they were great. Didn't budge on price which annoyed the crap out of me since two Spyders were sitting there for five months, but I really wanted the car so I sucked it up.

Porsche of Clifton Park in Albany, NY had by far the kindest, most attentive service. They just didn't have a Spyder. Offered me $8K off a new Boxster GTS.

The only way to let them know you are dissatisfied with their service is to buy elsewhere.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:30 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by Gordon9898
IMHO, i would wager that you having someone take your picture while you sat in all/some of the cars caused a negative response to your experience at this dealership
A good possibility. Though I explained my situation to them when he went into the back seat. The photo was to show his brother we weren't going upstate without a 2nd car. The guy in the photo was my friend. I was taking the picture.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:32 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by rebelceb
The primary thought that kept rattling around in my head while reading this thread, and really surprised nobody else said this, was,"why did you have to go test out the seat there on that day? Why not wait until you actually have your own car and have your buddies crawl all over it to see if they can ride upstate?"

Then again, something like that would be too obvious and would have prevented you from being able to be butt hurt. You have done more tooting of your own whistle and expressed how much money you think you have in this thread than is necessary. What's with the need to feel important on an Internet forum?

BTW, the color on those looks eerily similar to the color another NYC icon has made famous and the object of affection for females the world over.
Not sure how to respond to this, so I will leave it at that. Have a good weekend.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:36 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,243 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I will jump in....

I did the same thing that Bradley did. I went to my local dealer to see if me and my two boys would fit. They let us sit and swap seats in a $150K GTS. No questions asked. They also let me take measurements of the frunk to compare differences in capacity between the C4S and C2S.

I am replacing my Lexus with a 991.2 next year and I wanted to make sure my two boys would fit for short emergency drives. My wife has a RAV4, I have a 981 BS and the Lexus. I didn't want to keep the Lexus unless I absolutely needed to.

First son is 6' 3" and fits nicely in the passenger seat. Second son is 5' 8" and sat behind me. I'm 5'10. It worked. We were both cramped but we could manage for short trips.

BTW: When I bought my 981 BS, my dealership (different dealership) lent me a Boxster to see if we could fit our luggage in the car for our European Delivery trip. We tried about 10 different configurations until we found the right luggage combo that worked.

I always found the dealers to be pretty cool about these things.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:57 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by subshooter
I will jump in....

I did the same thing that Bradley did. I went to my local dealer to see if me and my two boys would fit. They let us sit and swap seats in a $150K GTS. No questions asked. They also let me take measurements of the frunk to compare differences in capacity between the C4S and C2S.

I am replacing my Lexus with a 991.2 next year and I wanted to make sure my two boys would fit for short emergency drives. My wife has a RAV4, I have a 981 BS and the Lexus. I didn't want to keep the Lexus unless I absolutely needed to.

First son is 6' 3" and fits nicely in the passenger seat. Second son is 5' 8" and sat behind me. I'm 5'10. It worked. We were both cramped but we could manage for short trips.

BTW: When I bought my 981 BS, my dealership (different dealership) lent me a Boxster to see if we could fit our luggage in the car for our European Delivery trip. We tried about 10 different configurations until we found the right luggage combo that worked.

I always found the dealers to be pretty cool about these things.
Exactly how they should be. I thought it was standard practice. One member above brought his luggage TO THE DEALERSHIP.

Unfortunately, now that you volunteered that you put your sons in the back seats...grown sons, the "rebel" member above might take issue with that. You must stay strong now - and remember the age old lesson.

"Sticks and Stones may break your bones...but words will never harm you"

I was simply looking to see if it would work out since the topic of conversation arose on many occasions. We try to go upstate (or other road trips) every weekend in the summer - or twice a month after the summer season to their home in the mountains. It's a big part of my life.

He asked why I felt the need to try it out on that day. Because I was there that day.

He asked why not wait till I have my car? Because I wanted to see how it would be in advance.

He asked why I need to feel important on the internet. Probably some inner disturbance from my childhood.

He asked why I am tooting my own horn. I do not own a horn, nor have I ever tooted.

He said I like to show off my money. I read back and don't see where I did that. I think his anger has taken over his fingers. (Anger or Jealousy). Members here all drive beautiful cars.

I didn't see anything wrong with stopping by and putting the issue to rest. That's why dealerships keep cars in stock. I'm sure some go in to see how the exhaust sounds, or to sample 2 different stereo upgrades.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:14 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by rebelceb
Was my wife's comment within 3 seconds of looking at the picture
Old 09-03-2016, 10:10 AM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Agree with most that's been already said about salesperson guessing purchasing power or "prospecting" in today's age - specifically in the high income areas like NYC. Pretty sure that type of sales attitude will force those guys out of this racket fairly soon. They're just not going to produce as much with that type of outlook.

I previously special ordered a to be leased 335i in tshirt/sweatpants, no problems whatsoever, test driving or checking out cars - that was back in the day at BMW of Manhattan. I got my current 991.1 4S from Ray Catena in NJ; there as well, I showed up in a red beater Chevy Cruze (told them my 335i broke down, but seriously I wouldn't blame them if they thought it was bs), wearing shorts and a tshirt, sat around in a few 991.2s on the lot - the salesperson insisted we should go on a test drive in a preowned manual 4s they had on the lot. I was pretty aggressive during the test drive - shifting up top rowing through multiple gears - absolutely no bad vibes, no attitude. I stopped by another time as well - in some 15y old honda minivan uber.

Despite the horrible pricing I ended up buying that preowned car (I guess I got too excited about it being possibly the last NA 911) - but in general i think the days of people going out shopping for expensive things in a suit/tie are over. I personally like to dress comfortably when i'm going to make a big purchase anyways, don't need the extra stress - but if i sense even the slightest amount of prejudice of that sort I'm out of that dealer (or any establishment really) quick - You are the customer; they need you to stay in business; they should work to make a sale. Not the other way around.

Last edited by erko1905; 09-03-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:42 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Not sure why all the hate for the op. Isn't this what cars on the floor of the dealership are for? Otherwise we could just shop online, skip the attitude and bad coffee, and never set foot in a dealership.

When my friend was doing some new car shopping we totally climbed into the rear seats of a new 991 at the dealership and no one gave us a second look. When an sa did eventually come over he was nothing but friendly.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:05 PM
sracer
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My daughter is in the epicenter of where salespeople should never assume anything based on dress: silicon valley. She said the month when Facebook went public lots of her friends were out test driving all kinds of cool cars; salespeople knew better to look down at a hoodie and jeans.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:54 PM
RM27
5th Gear

Can anyone tell me what Wheels are on the Cayenne?
Old 09-03-2016, 06:57 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

I went into mmc today to check out the lava orange targa. No one was in there but us and a few sales people roaming around. No one even came up to us in 15 minutes so we left.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:18 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

I've always been treated well at Porsche Dealerships -- both Sales and Service. But I did have a lousy Sales Associate when I purchased my last Cayenne as not only was he non responsive regarding a couple of questions, but he drove to my house to pick me up for me to take delivery and he was stone drunk -- asked me to drive his Panamera (with him) back to the dealership. Like the Cayenne though.

Quick Reply: Porsche Manhattan / Manhattan Motor Cars