Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Manhattan / Manhattan Motor Cars

Old 09-02-2016, 12:02 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Manhattan / Manhattan Motor Cars

Stopped by the newer showroom in Manhattan today with my friend (seen below in the pics) to see if they happened to have a 4S I could fawn over as I wait for mine. No luck - they had a Targa 4S from 2016 and a Carrera 2S with the racing endurance package. Nice looking car!

On a side note, My friend and I got very weird vibes from one of the salesmen who followed us around the dealership. There happens to be a love lady that sits towards the window area who was very helpful the last time I went for a visit. Today however was not the same. Truly uncomfortable vibe - a lot of tension and oddities. Literally followed us from car to car at a distance.

My real purpose was to have my buddy try to sit in the back seat to see if it was doable when I go with him and his brother to their home upstate.
NO CAN DO. haha. Just not happening.

As you can see - definitely not good.

While there, I came across these 2 - mint green custom colored vehicles.

2017 Turbo S Cab
2017 Cayenne Turbo S

They had every single option possible - and I mean every option.

The Cab was $320k
The Cayenne was $309k

Can we have a serious grown up convo about this? Who's buying these? No one.

Long wait lists for Porsche cars and while the factory spends time making these ugly vehicles...they likely could be satisfying clients who are putting down deposits.

Why would Porsche Manhattan order these. I confirmed they were not sold. They were not customer orders. The dealership ordered them. In these colors - ticking every option - including something that costs $80,000. (see below)

Why? What happens to these 2 cars when they are obviously not sold? Deep discounts? Returned? What a waste of time, and allotment. What do you all think?
Old 09-02-2016, 12:17 AM
DBC
Instructor

Marketing, window dressing and the fact that the US's center of Trading wealth (Hedge Fund mgrs., etc.) lives within NYC will eventually sell these cars.

Personally, I like color against the black trim. It pops.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:23 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Just don't see it happening. Window dressing for sure - it definitely screams "COME IN"

I tend to believe Hedge Fund Managers etc aren't void of good taste I too love color against black. In fact, I helped my father design his building which is a bold blue over Black.

It's just an educated guess that no one will buy these mint green cars. Having lived in NYC all my life - Ive never once seen a mint green Porsche anywhere. Nor a $309k Cayenne. Nor a $320k 911.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:44 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

This guy has not been caught yet. All Porsche dealers have been notified to be on high alert, hence the following. Porsche buyers are very fussy and don't want a deflowered P car. Especially a $300K Cayenne or TT. That would be the ultimate score for our friend below. He likes to add his own CXX option (no charge), although you are responsible for clean up

Although, once you write the check do as you wish .... Nathaniel and "Chase"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h-CkMLqE-E&sns=em
Old 09-02-2016, 12:46 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Fugly
Old 09-02-2016, 02:05 AM
pawnstar
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Love the Cayenne T in this color, very imaginative and nicely equipped. Particularly like the all-encompassing option 'Options not listed above' for 8230.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:08 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Custom tailoring $80k +
Old 09-02-2016, 02:10 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What on earth is $80k in Custom Tailoring?!

On a different note, love the Targa's white interior.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:12 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
What on earth is $80k in Custom Tailoring?!

On a different note, love the Targa's white interior.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:38 AM
RickIrons
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cayenne doesn't have the aluminum pedals - seems they forgot one option. Deal-breaker for me... ;-)

The color would look great on an RS.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:47 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

So, Manhattan Motorcars is one of two specially designated "premier" dealerships in the US. They have an "exclusive" department similar to PCNA's in Beverly Hills and I suspect these two cars are more marketing tools to show people what they can do and order.

If they're not sold, it's not a problem. Yes, they'll go at a step discount, but for now they're probably getting people to stop and think more about exclusive options. Plus you never know when a bored, rich foreigner will stop by.

To put it in perspective, MMC's building cost somewhere around $16m to buy and refit. Spending a little more on a "wow" order car to generate further interest in exclusive options goes with the territory there. The dealership's building is painfully beautiful- it's sick and a must see on any trip to NY.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:12 AM
shake-em-on-down
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the mint on the Turbo... I mean, I wouldn't order it, but i like it
Old 09-02-2016, 08:43 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Dealers are very concerned about people who walk in and screw around in each of their cars. They can smell a real buyer vs a lookie lou. Trying to fit an adult in the rear seat is stupid. The interior can be easily damaged. Are you surprised that the sales associates are wondering what you are up to.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:48 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Dealers are very concerned about people who walk in and screw around in each of their cars.
Agreed.

They can smell a real buyer vs a lookie lou.
No they can't. Not today. From a hedge fund billionaire to a 28 year old "suddenly rich" from a sold APP, to a 17 yo making hundreds of thousands of dollars from their youtube channel - you can't place judgement by smell and sight. Those days are over. In with a Suit and Tie, to Jeans and a Tee Shirt, to Shorts and a polo - you simply can't know the abilities of anyone's' purchasing abilities.

You're telling me this kid - who's ********* are still in the upright position would pass the smell test at a Range Rover dealership? He made several hundred thousand from his silly youtube channel or "VLOG" as he calls it - and blew all his cash on this car. (The sick thing is his parents let him). So You tell me what dealership would look at him upon entering with serious eyes and attention. I'd bet all would dimiss him as a fanboy of the brand. And then he wrote a check...

Trying to fit an adult in the rear seat is stupid.
That's your opinion. I happen to disagree with you 100%. An adult coming from a 4 door luxury car wanting to see if there is a possibility of someone being able to sit in the back seats is perfectly acceptable. Especially if that person already purchased a similar model (like myself) or a prospective buyer. Someone spending this much money on a car should be able to try the rear seats - should be able to bring their own suitcase to put in the trunk for fitting purposes, etc. This is an expensive commitment - and the buyer should feel as comfortable with it as possible.

The interior can be easily damaged.
Seriously? From sitting in a seat - the interior can "easily" be damaged? In a $140,000 car? Then Porsche isn't making very good cars, are they.

Are you surprised that the sales associates are wondering what you are up to.
I'm not the first, nor will I be the last to see the capabilities of a Porsche's interior space limits.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:55 AM
oolor13
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

That kid is barely bigger than one of the Rover's wheels. Lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche Manhattan / Manhattan Motor Cars