Sponsored by:

991.2 4-way vs. 14-way vs. 18-way

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 06:39 PM
abizarvakharia
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 4-way vs. 14-way vs. 18-way

Has anyone seen a good comparison between the different seat options on the 991.2's?

Looks like the 14-way has seat backrest, seat height, fore/aft position, seat cushion inclination, seat cushion depth & lumbar support. The 18-way has 3 additional controls including: seat cushion side bolster, backrest side bolster and height and fore/aft adjustment of steering column.

I am leaning towards the 4-way seats but have some specific questions about them:

1. Is the seat different than the 14-way seat?
2. Does it support rearview mirrors lowering in reverse mode? (configurator let's you select it).
3. What are the "4" seat controls?
4. Are all the controls electric or mechanical
5. What steering column controls do you get with the 4-way seats?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I have one of each in my 3 Porsches.

1. No, the 4 way is like the 18 way, just with less adjustability.
2. No idea.
3. Seat Up/down; lean back/lean forward. The seat slides forward and backward manually.
4. Front-back slide is mechanical, the rest electrical.
5. I don't think there is any connection between the seats and steering column.

The key to which seat you will like between the 14 and 18 is your body shape. The 18 is a deeper seat and holds you tighter, but is a little harder to get in and out of. The 14 has less bolstering, but is still a really nice seat. Some people fit one and not the other. I think you sit "in" the 18, while you sit slightly more "on" the 14. That's not to say the 14's are bad.

The 4ways are just like the 18's in shape, etc. The positive IMO are lighter weight and I like the manual fore/aft adjustment. The negatives are no lumbar adjustment and less under thigh support. I like all of them, but, I find the 18s the best for sporty driving and the 14s to be the most comfortable for longer drives.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
pride355 (02-21-2021), sr5959 (07-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2016, 09:55 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I have one of each in my 3 Porsches.

1. No, the 4 way is like the 18 way, just with less adjustability.
2. No idea.
3. Seat Up/down; lean back/lean forward. The seat slides forward and backward manually.
4. Front-back slide is mechanical, the rest electrical.
5. I don't think there is any connection between the seats and steering column.

The key to which seat you will like between the 14 and 18 is your body shape. The 18 is a deeper seat and holds you tighter, but is a little harder to get in and out of. The 14 has less bolstering, but is still a really nice seat. Some people fit one and not the other. I think you sit "in" the 18, while you sit slightly more "on" the 14. That's not to say the 14's are bad.

The 4ways are just like the 18's in shape, etc. The positive IMO are lighter weight and I like the manual fore/aft adjustment. The negatives are no lumbar adjustment and less under thigh support. I like all of them, but, I find the 18s the best for sporty driving and the 14s to be the most comfortable for longer drives.
Well said.

Last edited by Hurricane; 08-28-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:16 PM
verstraete
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Actually, there are two types of 4-way seats; 4-way Sport Seats, and 4-way Sport Seats Plus. The first type is shaped like the 14-way, the second type like the 18-way.
I had 14-way seats in my 991.1, but never used most of the adjustments. I have 4-way Sport Seats with the same shape in my 991.2 and am perfectly satisfied with them. When I purchased the car, I used the manual fore-aft adjustment to set distance from the wheel and pedals, and I was good to go. No further adjustments seem necessary, for me at least.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:28 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

The key to which seat you will like between the 14 and 18 is your body shape.
This-^

You need to sit in either Sport Seats/14-Way Sport Seats or Sport Seats Plus/18-way Sport Seats and then:

- decide which seat architecture suits your build
- decide how many powered adjustments you want / can't live without.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:33 PM
abizarvakharia
Intermediate

Very insightful, thank you
Old 08-28-2016, 11:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by verstraete
Actually, there are two types of 4-way seats; 4-way Sport Seats, and 4-way Sport Seats Plus. The first type is shaped like the 14-way, the second type like the 18-way.
Yes, sorry, I have the Sport Seats Plus, which are similar in shape to the 18 way.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by abizarvakharia
Very insightful, thank you
Personally, if I were speccing anything but a weekend strafer, I'd be going with the 14 ways myself, though some people don't like the way they taper in the area near the upper back. For me, they're the best all around seat, and much easier to get in and out of on a daily basis.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:54 PM
abizarvakharia
Intermediate

Originally Posted by verstraete
I had 14-way seats in my 991.1, but never used most of the adjustments. I have 4-way Sport Seats with the same shape in my 991.2 and am perfectly satisfied with them. When I purchased the car, I used the manual fore-aft adjustment to set distance from the wheel and pedals, and I was good to go. No further adjustments seem necessary, for me at least.
Thanks, I tried the seats and honestly I liked them both. But I didn't know there was a 4-way sports seats plus. Will try it. Thanks for the information.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:52 AM
Fauxpas
1st Gear

Archimedes,
You have a gift for providing objective information without the BS: well done!
I'm building my first Porsche (991.2) after dreaming about it for nearly 50 years! I've had 2 back surgeries, but doing well now.
I'm 5'9", 170lbs, broad shoulders and leaning toward the "sport seats plus". I like the idea of less weight, less money and the manual fore/aft slider (less wear and tear on the seat, easier entry/exit).
Can anyone with similiar dimensions, and a less than perfect back (I know there are a lot of you out there!) comment on your seat selections, and your thoughts after putting in some miles?
Archimedes, I'd like to hear from you too. BTW, I also ride motorcycles (BMW R1200GS).
Thanks guys!
Old 06-16-2017, 12:27 PM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by abizarvakharia
Has anyone seen a good comparison between the different seat options on the 991.2's?

Looks like the 14-way has seat backrest, seat height, fore/aft position, seat cushion inclination, seat cushion depth & lumbar support. The 18-way has 3 additional controls including: seat cushion side bolster, backrest side bolster and height and fore/aft adjustment of steering column.

I am leaning towards the 4-way seats but have some specific questions about them:

1. Is the seat different than the 14-way seat?
2. Does it support rearview mirrors lowering in reverse mode? (configurator let's you select it).
3. What are the "4" seat controls?
4. Are all the controls electric or mechanical
5. What steering column controls do you get with the 4-way seats?

Thanks in advance.
Had the 14 way on my 14 c2s now have the 4 way on my 17 c2s.

IMO, the 4 ways are better than the 14 ways except no lumbar support or thigh support as mentioned above. In fact, I feel more deeply seated in the 4 ways than the 14 way seats. I sat in the 14ways again at PSDS and kept wondering why I felt like there was something between me and the seat. I just wasn't sitting as deeply in the seat like I would have been with 4 way and 18 way.

The 4 way seats have a lever on the front of the seat that you pull up then slide the seat forward or backward. Other adjustments are electric buttons on the side of the seat that tilt the back rest and raise the seat up or down.

On the resale front the 4 ways are less desirable according to the dealer I bought the car from. In fact I was not sure that I wanted them until I sat in them...my car was a CPO 17. After 5500 miles I can't say that I really miss the 14 way seats. Having said that if someone had a lot of lower back issues then the more adjustable seats would probably be a better choice.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:05 PM
Jonathan Lord
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have sat in all of them. Ended up three times in the 18-way and have not been disappointed. Found that the 18 way sports seats fit me best
J
Old 06-16-2017, 10:00 PM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Love my 18 ways. Great seats, and my wife loves them...
Old 06-16-2017, 10:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Having lived with all of them now, if I were speccing a car I'd be going with the 4 way sport seats plus. They would be my first choice, 18 ways my second choice, and 14 ways my last choice. I like the deep fit of the 4waySS/18 way more than the shape of the 4way/14 way, though I could see why someone may prefer the 14 ways shape for DD. They are a little easier to get in and out of, but don't hold you as well.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:59 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Fauxpas
Archimedes,
You have a gift for providing objective information without the BS: well done!
I'm building my first Porsche (991.2) after dreaming about it for nearly 50 years! I've had 2 back surgeries, but doing well now.
I'm 5'9", 170lbs, broad shoulders and leaning toward the "sport seats plus". I like the idea of less weight, less money and the manual fore/aft slider (less wear and tear on the seat, easier entry/exit).
Can anyone with similiar dimensions, and a less than perfect back (I know there are a lot of you out there!) comment on your seat selections, and your thoughts after putting in some miles?
Archimedes, I'd like to hear from you too. BTW, I also ride motorcycles (BMW R1200GS).
Thanks guys!
You owe it to yourself to spend a few minutes at the dealership and sit in each seat. You may be surprised, you may not, but it's too easy when you're ordering and too important to how much you'll enjoy and spend time in the car. It immediately changed my decision and I am very happy with it.

I dislike the 14 way and standard seats because I strongly prefer more side support. I like the lower weight of the 4 ways and originally thought that was the clear way to go, but for me the adjustment tweaks afforded by the 18 ways made for a much more comfortable seat with better ergonomics. For instance I can change the angle of the seat base with the floor which is significant to me. My 997 had sports seats plus and my 991 has the 18 ways. I'm 6'1 and 185.

I would have have liked to order an 18 way driver seat and a 4 way passenger (for the same money would be fine) but that's not available.

Quick Reply: 991.2 4-way vs. 14-way vs. 18-way