Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member needs buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 12:07 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Just a comment on your NA site search. I'd still suggest you look broader just to find more cars (some in this case) just so you better understand what dealers nationwide are asking for models outfitted how you'd like it and at what mileage. This helped me refine my concept of reasonable pricing for the handful of cars I found roughly matching my criteria.

When I eventually found a near 100% match on everything I wanted, I went ahead and did the work via phone to negotiate it down (about 8% off original asking price + the earlier mentioned bling), then put a refundable down payment until I could fly out there and get eyes and hands on the car for a detailed examination. Yeah I ended up "having" to drive it 1400 miles back through the mountains of Utah, Colorado, and down through half of Texas, but the drive back was a blast (I mostly avoided interstates) and well worth the fairly reasonable one-way air fare and hotels to find the right car. Yeah, I'd do it again.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:11 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

One more note: With winter approaching Porsche sales normally fall off and it becomes easier to negotiate. Keep an eye out for cars that have been in inventory for a few weeks as that helps negotiations too. My dealer friend tells me prices start getting firmer again in January. You can typically find out the time a car has been listing by doing a Google search on its VIN and checking the dates of the posts you find.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:33 AM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
That's a 997.2
So what?
911S, one owner, 17k miles (4k miles/yr), No warranty; but, appears well maintained. Definitely, worth a look.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:05 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
So what?
911S, one owner, 17k miles (4k miles/yr), No warranty; but, appears well maintained. Definitely, worth a look.
So what?

Thought he was looking for a 991.1?

Plus for that price you can get a 991
Old 08-17-2016, 08:47 AM
Minesh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

Over revs are a concern too as mentioned.

This car at this price isn't a unicorn. If it doesn't add up, there are others. We see them all the time in the "Hot for Sale Pick of the Week" stickie.

It is a nice build though!

"I checked the rev report and everything checks out . If the report shows a rating of 3 it would be considered iffy. We have ones and twos which are perfectly normal . The scale goes up to six. We are doing the replacement of the bulb that was needed and an oil change and safety inspection was done . I will provide all the documentation"
This is the email the salesman sent me based on some of the questions you guys suggested. I am on the the fence but they have been responding to the questions I have been asking. What are your thoughts on his response on Over Revs? I still don't know exactly what the over revs are and if their assessment on over revs is reasonable. Please help!
Old 08-18-2016, 06:27 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the delay, for some reason the notifications of your new post didn't show up.

The salesman's statement of overruns is a little odd, almost as if he doesn't fully understand, but in essence he is right. There are six over-rev counters. Consider them to be six "buckets" or ranges that count over-revs with each range every few hundred RPM apart, with the first starting at redline. Search the forums (the 997 one probably has more of these discussions) for DME and overrev and you should find several discussions of this and even definitions of exactly what the ranges are.

Just bumping redline causes over-rev counts to show up in the first range. This isn't a big deal. The second range, just a couple of hundred RPMs above that should normally catch less counts. Sometimes due to glitched readings a sprinkling of 1 or 2 counts may show up in higher ranges (range 3 and above). But any counts of substance in range 3 or higher, and higher is even worse, typically indicating a missed shift into a lower gear (such as the driver meant to hit third and hit first instead) or a premature downshift.

This is likely what the salesman meant by "if the report shows a rating of 3". I believe he is saying that no over-rev counts beyond a single reading glitch or so shows up in range 3 or higher, so the car hasn't been significantly over-revved by a bad shift. This would have been a concern in range 3 and above since fairly catastrophic damage can occur from excessive forces on the connecting rods, floating valves striking the piston crown, etc. Of course, only manuals will have over-revs in higher ranges, the PDK's computer will not allow significant over-revs.

Another check that goes along with this is each range also has a timestamp that gives the total engine run time at the time of the last report. If that report is really close to the current run time for the engine, that may indicate a seller is trying to dump a car that he knows was over-revved and may have been damaged. In most cases you'll find that the most recent overruns in range 2 or higher are farther back in the cars past and therefore less of a concern.

The bottom line is that it sounds like your DME report is okay. But they should be able to provide you with a copy of it and you could post it here if you'd like. I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions on it.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:52 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

One more thought. I think you already understand all of this, but let me say this anyway:

As you've discovered, you can get tons of information and varying opinions here. It's extremely rare to find a thread where everyone gives thumbs up on a car. You certainly do want to fully understand why someone would recommend against a car. But as to whether or not they would buy that car is not terribly important to you, you have to decide it that car works for you and your situation after you've weighed all of the good information they've provided. If you wait for everyone to give thumbs up, you'll just make your search become miserable.

Of course, don't read all this as my personal recommendation to buy this car. I too think the miles are higher than would be desired. But if that moves the car down into your acceptable price range while giving you all of the features you want then that seems reasonable to me. But again, it's all about you this time.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:42 PM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Car no longer on autotrader, sold?
Old 08-19-2016, 12:14 PM
Minesh
Advanced

Default traded

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
Car no longer on autotrader, sold?
He traded in to the dealership on a Macan vs. letting me purchase directly from him. I sorta got hosed and will have to pay 15% more now to buy from the dealership but he wanted/needed the tax benefit on his trade for a new Macan.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:53 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Pity - most dealers will process a sale for a small fee and credit the new car buyer for a trade in while brokering the private sale, an "in and out."
Old 08-19-2016, 09:32 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 529 Posts

Pass and especially since this car is now 15% costlier than it would have been.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:46 AM
vudores
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 52 Posts

Congrats to the OP on purchasing a beautiful car (maybe I should have waited for you to break the news yourself, hah)! I was at the dealership yesterday looking at another 991 when the salesman told me about the OP's car. Apparently Minesh was a little late going to the dealership and they made it sound like there was a chance he would walk away. They showed me the car and I immediately fell in love and sent pics to my wife and a few friends, hoping he wouldn't show. Needless to say he arrived a few minutes later and I realized I wasn't getting the car.

Great looking car, man! The car was so nicely optioned and looked brand new/inside and out. IMO you got a lot of car for the money. Hope you're enjoying it this Sunday morning (and DD that thing, you'll be much happier!). Congrats again.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:51 AM
DNorby
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 2013 S hardtop, PSE, chrono, SPASM, MT about a year ago for about 72K. It had 39k mi and the 40k service had been performed. The CPO runs out in late 2018.

Things to look for: CPO, 40K service, S, SPASM, hardtop and MT. I will probably keep my car for a long time. The creature features are not as important as the performance features IMO
Old 08-21-2016, 01:53 PM
Minesh
Advanced

Default Its over

Originally Posted by vudores
Congrats to the OP on purchasing a beautiful car (maybe I should have waited for you to break the news yourself, hah)! I was at the dealership yesterday looking at another 991 when the salesman told me about the OP's car. Apparently Minesh was a little late going to the dealership and they made it sound like there was a chance he would walk away. They showed me the car and I immediately fell in love and sent pics to my wife and a few friends, hoping he wouldn't show. Needless to say he arrived a few minutes later and I realized I wasn't getting the car.

Great looking car, man! The car was so nicely optioned and looked brand new/inside and out. IMO you got a lot of car for the money. Hope you're enjoying it this Sunday morning (and DD that thing, you'll be much happier!). Congrats again.
Thanks for the well wishes Vudores! Sorry man for stealing the car from you yesterday but I am sure with some patience you will find your car also!. I know I was vacillating quite a bit but I did pull the trigger, after doing much due diligence and the wife giving a resounding thumbs up i couldn't resist.

I am so excited and will be picking it up tomorrow. You better believe I will be logging some miles next weekend! FYI any Porsche owners in the Atlanta area who like to connect from time to time, I would love to join the "mailing list".

Couple quick questions:

Vudores what does DD mean??? I can't do it unless I know what it means...LOL!

For EVERYONE: The finance guy tried to talk me in to All State insurance on Wheels, Tires, Keys, Ding repair...Etc. Its almost $3K for 4y but was thinking about it considering cost on the tires alone but he was a finance guys trying to sell me so I thought I would ask you guys if you have experience with it or something similar. and if you would recommend it. He was insisting that even if I didn't get any of the extra stuff that was the one he recommend the most.

Thanks again everyone on helping me get through my first Porsche find....
Old 08-21-2016, 04:05 PM
vudores
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 52 Posts

DD means daily driver. Everyone has their own opinions on this, as did I with my prior Porsches. I started DDing the last one (10 Cayman S) though, figuring I paid for it, why not enjoy it all the time, and was so happy with the decision. IMO the 991 makes for a great DD in Atlanta. Regardless, i know you're going to love and enjoy every moment.

I suggest you join the PCA. There are regular social events, as well as track days at local tracks. Everyone is super friendly and there are a ton of cool cars. I also highly suggest getting to the track ASAP - you'll love it.

Re the tire package, I'd pass.

Congrats again!

Quick Reply: New member needs buying advice