Sponsored by:

Post Random Discoveries About the 991

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 10:52 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Post Random Discoveries About the 991

I thought it would be nice to have a rolling thread of random things or features we discover about our cars as we spend more time with it.

I have a GTS. I was driving in 95 degree weather a few weeks ago in normal mode. I notice the oil temp started to rise fairly high, up to 230 degrees (normal is around 200). I thought it might be the A/C putting stress on the engine, so I turned it off and the temp didn't move. I then left the A/C off and turn Sport on, the temp drops to 210 in 5min. I then turn the A/C on and left sport on, the temp kept dropping to 200.

My hypothesis was the car runs cooler in Sport/Sport+. I did research and it's confirmed that if your car has a 3rd (center) radiator, turning on Sport/Sport+ opens up that 3rd radiator. For cars w/o the 3rd radiator, it stills runs hotter in normal mode for maximum combustion efficiency (fuel economy). This also means don't turn on Sport/Sport+ in the winter as it may take longer to warm up.

Cheers.

Please share your random discoveries...

Last edited by Jnosol; 07-22-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:38 PM
MinMay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info!! I love to know more.... So far, turn on key, put in drive and accelerate LOL.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:43 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 426 Posts

BTW - The temp drop happens in all cars when the Sport/Sport+ button is pushed w or w/o the 3rd radiator. 3rd radiators are great to assist in shedding heat in extreme use conditions.

I love the PDK "double paddle flick" that puts the tranny into neutral.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:02 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
BTW - The temp drop happens in all cars when the Sport/Sport+ button is pushed w or w/o the 3rd radiator. 3rd radiators are great to assist in shedding heat in extreme use conditions. I love the PDK "double paddle flick" that puts the tranny into neutral.
Thanks, I just now learned about the PDK - pulling both paddles put it in neutral. I need to try it, keep those tips coming. Assume nothing.

Didn't know that sport cools down cars without the 3rd radiators too. I guess all fans kick on during sport.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:03 AM
Roosell
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is that on the GTS models only?
Old 07-22-2016, 12:10 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by Roosell
Is that on the GTS models only?

Not just for GTS.
http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...carrera/6/157/

I have multifunction steering wheel, how would this work?
Old 07-22-2016, 01:02 AM
hansw
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 991s have a very sophisticated coolant temperature control system. With the car in NORMAL mode the coolant is kept at a minimum of 221 degrees F. This is to reduce fuel consumption. In SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes the temperature is lowered to 185 F. The oil temperature is thus lowered in those two modes for among other reasons that the engine has a coolant-oil heat exchanger.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:43 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Engine compartment is expose to water (rain or carwash), is this really ok? Worst if you have the sport cup spoiler which will continuously funnel water into your engine when parked under the rain
Old 07-22-2016, 04:15 AM
Alec Syme
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

BTW - The temp drop happens in all cars when the Sport/Sport+ button is pushed w or w/o the 3rd radiator. 3rd radiators are great to assist in shedding heat in extreme use conditions.

I do this all the time in tunnels to hear the Sport Exhaust. My wife just rolls her eyes.

Alec
Old 07-22-2016, 09:20 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
Engine compartment is expose to water (rain or carwash), is this really ok? Worst if you have the sport cup spoiler which will continuously funnel water into your engine when parked under the rain
It's ok. Our cars are designed to handle rain and lots of it.

Car wash note: Don't blast underneath the engine area if your car is hot. Hot headers and cold water is a no no.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:48 AM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnosol
I thought it would be nice to have a rolling thread of random things or features we discover about our cars as we spend more time with it. I have a GTS. I was driving in 95 degree weather a few weeks ago in normal mode. I notice the oil temp started to rise fairly high, up to 230 degrees (normal is around 200). I thought it might be the A/C putting stress on the engine, so I turned it off and the temp didn't move. I then left the A/C off and turn Sport on, the temp drops to 210 in 5min. I then turn the A/C on and left sport on, the temp kept dropping to 200. My hypothesis was the car runs cooler in Sport/Sport+. I did research and it's confirmed that if your car has a 3rd (center) radiator, turning on Sport/Sport+ opens up that 3rd radiator. This also means don't turn on Sport/Sport+ in the winter as it may take longer to warm up. Cheers. Please share your discoveries...
I noticed this recently as well and was wondering why. Thanks for the explanation
Old 07-22-2016, 09:51 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Alec Syme
I do this all the time in tunnels to hear the Sport Exhaust. My wife just rolls her eyes.

Alec
haha same here! My mother in law thinks its fantastic.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:23 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by R_Rated
haha same here! My mother in law thinks its fantastic.
I don't have shift paddles, I hate the shift buttons on the MF wheel
Old 07-22-2016, 10:33 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnosol
I don't have shift paddles, I hate the shift buttons on the MF wheel
Jnosol, You might need to take care of that.

There's a few on e-bay and I believe there was one posted for sale on this forum in the last week or so.

Not mine but just saw it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ing-wheel.html

Last edited by CSK 911 C4S; 07-22-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:59 AM
pleahy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a silly one... I noticed that if you turn the key one click to Accessory mode (not ignition start), the radio and all electronics come on as usual. If you are listening to a radio program in Accessory mode for a minute, then ready to start the car, most cars (including my '15 Macan) will momentarily lose the radio sound as if it is rebooting with decrease in voltage. Not in the 991.2. Radio sound remains on. I know, stupid little detail, but I would notice it in my garage while waiting for the garage door to finish opening before I'd actually start the car.

Quick Reply: Post Random Discoveries About the 991