Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post Random Discoveries About the 991

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 03:07 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There's no engine in the front. I checked twice. Think my car runs on voodoo or pixie dust.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:24 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
There's no engine in the front. I checked twice. Think my car runs on voodoo or pixie dust.
Of course not. You did not get the "4" model.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:55 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Went out on a spirited back road drive today and had sort of an epiphany about the PDK transmission. When we picked up the car my sales guy basically told me not to use Sport+ because it shifted at redline and was for the track. So until today I have not used it. I come from a sport bike background so learned a way to shift a bike with a manual transmission in the twisties and the PDK seemed a lot different that that in either auto or manual in sport mode. Today I decided to give sport+ a try in auto mode and of a sudden the way the car was upshifting and downshifting and blipping the throttle made total sense and was very similar to how I shift a bike. And no, the car does not shift at redline all the time. Maybe at wide open throttle, otherwise it shifts well below redline. So I discovered that sport+ is just great for spirited back road driving and the handling of the car is better too. The PDK was doing almost exactly what I would have done if shifting in manual. I won't use sport+ very much, but now the PDK makes sense to me as a performance transmission.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:06 PM
ArthurVandalay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To add to that-
This week I started using sport+ and the pdk in manual mode. May be a placebo but I think the pdk works better in this mode.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:28 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
When we picked up the car my sales guy basically told me not to use Sport+ because it shifted at redline and was for the track.
you should have slapped him in the face for saying such idiocy
Old 08-07-2016, 11:15 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
you should have slapped him in the face for saying such idiocy
My first 911 so I did not know any different. Starting to train my Porsche BS meter.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:26 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
My first 911 so I did not know any different. Starting to train my Porsche BS meter.
It's not a "comfort mode" because the gears are shifted at higher RPMs and if you're in slow traffic you may end up in 1st the whole time but you really get to enjoy the engine for what it was made for and It comes up alive. I remember when I test drove a Turbo S (my first experience with Porsche before buying my GT3) the sales man told me "now it's gonna get fun" and then click the button! It was awesome!
Old 08-08-2016, 01:32 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Maybe I need to give S+ a revisit. I always drive in Sport, even when I went to Thunderhill. I've never used S+ other than for launch control.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:18 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Maybe I need to give S+ a revisit. I always drive in Sport, even when I went to Thunderhill. I've never used S+ other than for launch control.
According to Porsche...

Sport: The SPORT button on the center console is fitted as standard. When selected, Sport mode is activated to provide greater response and enhanced driving pleasure. Throttle response becomes even more direct, the rev-limiter is adjusted to a harder setting and engine dynamics are tuned for performance driving. The auto start/stop function is also deactivated.

With the optional Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) transmission, the shift points are reconfigured to operate at higher engine speeds. Shift times are reduced and gearshifts become firmer and more immediate, while throttle-blip downshifts are accompanied by an emotive engine sound. Coasting mode is deactivated automatically.

Sport+: the SPORT PLUS button. When this is pressed, optional Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) switches to ‘Sport’ mode for harder damping and more direct steering and therefore, even more intensive road holding. The trigger threshold for PSM is raised. Agility is perceptibly enhanced when braking for corners with PSM, allowing even sportier braking and exit acceleration. For even greater dexterity, PSM can be set to standby while the car is still in SPORT PLUS mode. For safety, it is set to intervene automatically only when ABS assistance is required. ...Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) is geared up for the shortest possible shift times and optimum shift points, while torque boosts during gear changes provide the maximum acceleration available. This involving experience is further enhanced by overrun downshifts and the throttle-blip function for uncompromising driving pleasure.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:36 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
It's not a "comfort mode" because the gears are shifted at higher RPMs and if you're in slow traffic you may end up in 1st the whole time but you really get to enjoy the engine for what it was made for and It comes up alive. I remember when I test drove a Turbo S (my first experience with Porsche before buying my GT3) the sales man told me "now it's gonna get fun" and then click the button! It was awesome!
I was only using in on twisty flowing roads. Any other place would not be good on public roads. Just making the engine rev and shift hard for nothing.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:34 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

Fastest shifts occur in Sport +
Old 08-08-2016, 07:59 PM
mgflyfish
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yep

Originally Posted by Scottish Pete
On one of my first drives, I pulled both paddles back to put the car in neutral at a red light so I could blip the throttle to show off my Porsche Sport Exhaust.
Uh . . . it will not go back into gear when the light turns green to go unless you have your foot on the brake. All those folks behind me formerly impressed by my Porsche Sport Exhaust started honking their horns at me to get moving as I tried to get it to go back into gear.
been there done that--
Old 08-08-2016, 09:11 PM
ArthurVandalay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ArthurVandalay
To add to that- This week I started using sport+ and the pdk in manual mode. May be a placebo but I think the pdk works better in this mode.
To add to this -
Sport+ pdk in manual- have not been able to get 7th. Maybe if I read the manual these things would not be on the fly revelations. Or go faster and it will give 7th
Old 08-08-2016, 10:56 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Sales guy told me that car hits top speed in 6th, and 7th is more of an overdrive. Of course he is the same guy that told me some bogus info about Sport+, but I can see that the car might not shift into 7th in sport+ because it would drop the revs too much for max power.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:16 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by ArthurVandalay
To add to this -
Sport+ pdk in manual- have not been able to get 7th. Maybe if I read the manual these things would not be on the fly revelations. Or go faster and it will give 7th
7th gear is disabled and unavailable in Sport Plus. Speed doesn't change this. The car actually reaches its top speed in 6th, 7th can't make it to 185+... I guess it "lugs" the engine too much

Edit: (Oops I guess I missed the post just before mine!)

Quick Reply: Post Random Discoveries About the 991