Sponsored by:

Replacing Factory Radio+Nav

Old 07-19-2016, 04:14 PM
911Enthusiast
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing Factory Radio+Nav

Hello everyone,
I've been meaning to install after-market Rearview camera + Blackvue 64GB front & rear DVR monitoring system along w/ doing some audio upgrades on '15 911 GTS. I spoke w/ a few audio shops. Most are telling me that the NAVTV module which plugs into the factory radio/nav isn't good enough esp if I want to do of the three things. They said, a change of factory radio/nav (to eg garmin) would accommodate these and future upgrades -- esp to the audio side of the house (am looking for a clean mid-range). The new radios/navs seem to support Apple CarPlay, and come w/ a slue of other features (or so I am told). Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing? Or has any ideas?

Thanks!
(PS: I did come across a few RL articles such as https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9251...northwest.html but these advocate use of NAVTV module integrated into factory radios).
Old 07-19-2016, 05:02 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

I'm definitely an advocate for keeping the factory PCM system. Other than gaining feature you don't have(like CarPlay) there is no compelling reason to swap. In the 991 you're going to loose a good amount of integrated features and the whole system is always going to feel aftermarket.

Integrating the cameras using the NavTV piece is the best solution — not sure why anyone would tell you otherwise. We've done dozens of them and never had a problem. For the BlackVue, that's a completely isolated system, so PCM has nothing to do with that integration.

On the audio side of things, you can get the same type of sound quality using the factory PCM as you could with an aftermarket unit, guaranteed. Why don't you tell me which stock sound system you're starting with(Sound Plus/Bose/Burmester) an I can walk you through the best ways to upgrade.

Just as an example, here's extremely hi-fidelity audio upgrade in a 991 using the PCM3.1 system as the source: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9306...eam-991-a.html
Old 07-19-2016, 08:19 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Get the front/rear Blackvue cameras and the NavTV module for your backup camera (you can also add the front)
Old 07-20-2016, 12:52 AM
slingshot60
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts
Default I'll bite...

'13 991 with Bose and NAV... If I keep the factory PCM/head unit what could I do with a $2000-2500 budget? I know it sounds cheap but I'm not really interested in spending the $$$ for an audiophile system. I just want to keep my factory functions and have significantly better sound.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:21 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by slingshot60
'13 991 with Bose and NAV... If I keep the factory PCM/head unit what could I do with a $2000-2500 budget? I know it sounds cheap but I'm not really interested in spending the $$$ for an audiophile system. I just want to keep my factory functions and have significantly better sound.
That's not a terrible budget, but to get a great result you need a very methodical approach. The problem with Bose is that the signal from the PCM to the amplifier is fiber optic, so as of now there's no way to remove the amp entirely. The best approach is to use the analog outputs of the Bose amp, sum a few of them together for a full-range stereo signal, and feed that into an amplifier with a digital signal processor. That will give you more dynamic range, better bass response from the doors, and much more focus in the sound stage. You don't really even have to replace the factory speakers at this point(well, the tweeters should probably be swapped).

Problem is, until I finish development of a new product I'm working on, you'll need to find a highly-skilled shop to do the work. Not sure how far away from Plano, TX you are, but if you're up for the drive I could coordinate an upgrade for you with an award winning shop. Heck, I'll be in DFW towards the end of August. We might even be able to get together on it then — who knows. Send me a PM if your interested and we can hash out the details.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:37 PM
911Enthusiast
Intermediate

Thanks for the all help, guys. I decided to take on Nick's suggestions to leave factory PCM as-is, just install the rear view cam + DVR for the time being. Leave out audio upgrades for a few more months.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:40 PM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

BlackVue is a great product. Pricey but you get what you pay for, the front and rear cams DR650S-2CH is by far the best front and rear setup. imho.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:58 PM
JoshuaKM1
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

12v Nick - do you know of any good shops near me (Charleston SC) ?

It's really too bad that Porsche doesn't offer a way to upgrade the PCM to apple carplay ... i guess they figure you can just afford to buy another 130k car.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:16 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

If you change your mind, this is what I did for my 2016 991.1 GTS.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9208...o-upgrade.html

Nick's suggestions are sound but I felt I did not lose that much PCM functions and gained more including CarPlay and the ability to play FLAC files. Good luck with your decision.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing Factory Radio+Nav