Sponsored by:

Possible lemon

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 08:43 PM
msmith
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible lemon

My 2016 Targa GTS is back at the dealership for the 4th time in 5 months for the same problem--Driver's airbag light. Its in the dealership for at least a week each time, the dealership provides a loaner car each time. They have replaced the airbag, the clock spring, airbag control module and even swapped out the airbag with another car on the lot. PCNA is involved, but each time they "fix" it, I get it back and at some random time in the week to month following the visit, the light comes back on. At this point I don't really have much confidence in the car, and in my state of Alabama, there is a lemon law for this purpose. My question is this, has anyone else on the forum, been through something like this, and is it worth the trouble of trying to get this bought back through PCNA?
Old 06-20-2016, 09:01 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Went through the lemon law in Florida on a corvette, but the problems were WAY worse. 2 rearends, 1 transmission, and then the alternator fell off. Was able to drive the car a total of 5 weeks out of 6 months. I would definitely get in contact with PCNA, but it's best to get the problem resolved before going into the lemon law. Find out your zone representative and contact them. Sounds like the car is drivable, just a light, maybe. You're not going to believe the fight and time this will take.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:04 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 375 Likes on 225 Posts

Sounds to me like the service department in your dealership is playing swaptronics with your car. They are swapping parts without a proper diagnostic in the hopes that they will eventually change the right one. Next,they will swap the harness and perhaps DME and that will fix it.
I recommend patience. I know it's frustrating,but I wouldn't jump to lemon just yet. I'd recommend a different dealership if possible.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:09 PM
msmith
Rennlist Member

The car is drivable, but I've been told by everyone that has looked at it that the airbag might not deploy in an accident. Thats not that comforting in a car that costs 150K.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:13 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been through a lemon buyback with a BMW and I'm reasonably sure the steps to compensation are about the same. I'm assuming you bought it new.
First, have you read the Alabama lemon law? Usually, that law is stated for the consumer in plain english. You need to familiarize your self with it because it is the rules of engagement. You can bet your bippee PCNA knows the law.
From your description, I would wager your car places you within the parameters of that law.
Once you've determined that, you need to start a conversation with PCNA. You would need to tell them you want another car. Or to be compensated in a buyback. You need to be able to explain why. For example, that you've lost faith in the car. Your tired of the constant trips to the dealer, and so on. I would not bring up the law.
They will likely go to the dealer for insight and a recommendation. Very important you get the service manager on your side. Talk to him about the same thing. Don't bad mouth anyone. Stay positive because, at least in my experiences with this, you'll be compensated better than you would expect.
What might compensation be? In my case, they refunded every dime I paid for the car less a very reasonable amount for the miles I put on the car.
The process is a bit of a strain but it'll work out in the end.
Good luck with it.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:13 PM
DBC
Instructor

Originally Posted by msmith
My 2016 Targa GTS is back at the dealership for the 4th time in 5 months for the same problem--Driver's airbag light. Its in the dealership for at least a week each time, the dealership provides a loaner car each time. They have replaced the airbag, the clock spring, airbag control module and even swapped out the airbag with another car on the lot. PCNA is involved, but each time they "fix" it, I get it back and at some random time in the week to month following the visit, the light comes back on. At this point I don't really have much confidence in the car, and in my state of Alabama, there is a lemon law for this purpose. My question is this, has anyone else on the forum, been through something like this, and is it worth the trouble of trying to get this bought back through PCNA?
Had a similar problem with a 2015 SRT Jeep I purchased. They ended up replacing the entire seat belt because the sensor for the tensioners went bad and it kept the "airbag" light on permanently. Replaced the entire belt and everything was perfect. Have the dealer look into every part of the "crash restraint system" because any one of the sensors on the "system" will illuminate the light, not just the airbag alone.

Good luck.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:33 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by DYSTURBD
Had a similar problem with a 2015 SRT Jeep I purchased. They ended up replacing the entire seat belt because the sensor for the tensioners went bad and it kept the "airbag" light on permanently. Replaced the entire belt and everything was perfect. Have the dealer look into every part of the "crash restraint system" because any one of the sensors on the "system" will illuminate the light, not just the airbag alone.

Good luck.
That's good advice, there!
Old 06-20-2016, 11:23 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 182 Posts

Agree about the seatbelts. For me, the light would come on, but if I pushed the belt tab firmly into the buckle, it would go out. They changed out the buckle and the problem went away.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:30 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 375 Likes on 225 Posts

The seatbelt would throw an airbag fault code about the pretensioner or something similar. Pretensioner low resistance for example. This can be read using the factory scan tool PIWIS. They would've figured that one out by now...
Old 06-20-2016, 11:39 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Has anyone looked at the seat belt connection/harness yet?

Boxsters had a common airbag light fault at one point and it had something to do with the seatbelt. It was an easy fix.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:09 AM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmmm...I have the same model and have not had an issue. I worked with PCNA on a problem we had with our new 2014 Panamera Hybrid...My wifes car and we were the first to have in So. Cal. While the problem never got resolved....not a mechanical issue..more of a "marketing" issue......we pushed them hard and resolved our "differences"....... SO push hard.....
Old 06-21-2016, 01:22 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 431 Posts

Parents had a GM product with an airbag light that would not go out after repeated attempts to reset the computer. After they chatted with the GM about a buy back..... low and behold the next attempt to find the problem they found a bad door sensor which fixed the problem.

I wanted to drive the SUV through the dealers front window because I don't think they were taking the old folks seriously.

Hang in there..... I'm amazed their little computer thingy doesn't tell them which sensor went bad.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:08 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Sounds to me like the service department in your dealership is playing swaptronics with your car. They are swapping parts without a proper diagnostic in the hopes that they will eventually change the right one. Next,they will swap the harness and perhaps DME and that will fix it.
I recommend patience. I know it's frustrating,but I wouldn't jump to lemon just yet. I'd recommend a different dealership if possible.
Sorry MSmith I have nothing to ad to this except to say good luck. My thread 'my troublefree streak of 911 ownership is over' is kind of like this. The electronic wizardry of these cars is almost becoming too much, when the mechanics, er I guess they're called technicians now, can only hazard a guess at the problem until they stumble on the right one and the magic light goes off.
Jim
Old 06-21-2016, 06:37 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

totally agreed with neanicu, piwis scan tool should pinpoint problem. not shotgun troubleshooting by throwing parts at problem.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:20 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Could it be a problem with the passenger seat? There is a weight sensor in there to turn the passenger airbag off if there is not a person sitting in the seat.

Quick Reply: Possible lemon