Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible lemon

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 10:10 AM
VWfamily
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a BMW with passenger airbag malfunction light on repeatedly with the inability to fix it despite multiple attempts/regional reps involved, etc. The dealership in my case actually brought up the issue of a replacement or buyback. I lost faith in having a passenger in the front seat and the dealership took the step of going to bat for me with BMW for a replacement.

I would stress the safety issue that you are having. Would anyone here let their family member drive a car with a "faulty airbag" warning?
Old 06-21-2016, 04:14 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

It is your call whether you want to go the Lemon Law route. It is statutory so each state has its own distinct set of provisions; generally though they are similar. While you could do it yourself, I'd say just find an attorney; there are no shortage of ones that do this for a living. Once you have an attorney representing you, he or she will know exactly what to do to force PCNA to act - lest you get a default judgement. While it would be nice to talk w/ PCNA directly and resolve the issue, they have no reason to do anything in a hurry (or even to act in your best interests). I went through this w/ Audi in regard to the DFI carbon buildup problem. They went so far as to suggest that I was using low grade, cheap gas and it was not their problem. Once we retained a Lemon Law attorney the case was settled within four weeks. They paid us book value for the car and told us to keep it. The attorneys typically charge a percentage of what is recovered so the salient question is how much a quick settlement and reserving all your rights under the law is worth to you.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:48 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts

I dealt with the Lemon Law in California. It was easy and quick. Took one phone call. They asked me what I wanted. I had the choice of a full refund or new vehicle. I told them a new vehicle. They called Toyota to let them know I wanted a new vehicle. Lo and behold I get a phone call from Toyota the next day. They asked me if they could have one more try at fixing the problem. Toyota flew in their regional rep and the problem was fixed in one day.

I also had a problem with a new Ferrari. All I had to do was mention the words Lemon Law. Ferrari refunded all money including sale's tax and they built me a new Ferrari.

edit: The Lemon Law is there for our protection. Don't hesitate to use it if you feel Porsche is dragging their feet
Old 06-21-2016, 04:50 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 716 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by msmith
The car is drivable, but I've been told by everyone that has looked at it that the airbag might not deploy in an accident. Thats not that comforting in a car that costs 150K.
Its not that comforting in a car costing $20,000.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:35 PM
msmith
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today the service manager thinks they have pinpointed the problem. The wire to the airbag in the steering column has a loose connector. They are trying to source a replacement. They say that manipulating that connector reproduces the problem. I hope they can fix it, I would rather keep my car if possible.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:11 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I hope they can fix it, I would rather keep my car if possible.
Even if they fix it, if you're car problem fits within the lemon law criteria, realize you have the option of keeping it or getting rid of it by declaring it a lemon. Keep in mind, too, PCNA wants you to keep it because, if they take it back as a lemoned car it's close to worthless on the market. They know that, so, they'll be willing to pay you to keep you in it. You're in the drivers seat in this situation, in a manner of speaking.
To play this card, you need to examine your long term trust in the car and, based on that, tell PCNA you're not sure you want to keep it. They may come up with $$$ options to keep you in it and to compensate you for the headaches they put you through.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:38 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 376 Likes on 225 Posts

Today the service manager thinks they have pinpointed the problem. The wire to the airbag in the steering column has a loose connector. They are trying to source a replacement. They say that manipulating that connector reproduces the problem. I hope they can fix it, I would rather keep my car if possible.
Just as I said before : wiring. This is not brain surgery.
I wouldn't lemon that car if I were you. Ask PCNA for some recompense for your trouble. They just gave a member here 500$ in service credit for his troubles.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:24 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
They just gave a member here 500$ in service credit for his troubles.
IMO, the OP should be able to get more than a 3 figure compensation in a lemon situation. A lot more. Especially, if he/she is a recognized "good" Porsche customer.

Quick Reply: Possible lemon