Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual 991 owners, Are there many of us?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 02:02 PM
Shawn C
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I know, I know its a Ferrari but just listen to it!!! Omg I wish we could still buy cars this raw today.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:19 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's really funny reading this thread where many of these MT guys think this is so macho and how superior it is to drive a manual.

Most PDK guys have had MTs in the past and are very capable drivers. It's a matter of preference. For most of us, it's just "been there, done that".

The way some of you ridicule people who have a different preference is just plain ignorance. And for others, it's to compensate for having very, very small hands.

Last edited by petee1997; 06-02-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,782 Likes on 5,143 Posts

Originally Posted by petee1997
It's really funny reading this thread where all these MT guys think this is so macho and how superior it is to drive a manual.

Most PDK guys have had MTs in the past and are very capable of drivers. It's a matter of preference. For most of us, it's just "been there, done that".

The way some you ridicule people who have a different preference is just plain ignorance. And for others, it's to compensate for having very, very small hands.
Donald Trump drives a Porsche? Who knew.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:59 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's really funny reading this thread where all these MT guys think this is so macho and how superior it is to drive a manual.

Most PDK guys have had MTs in the past and are very capable of drivers. It's a matter of preference. For most of us, it's just "been there, done that".

The way some you ridicule people who have a different preference is just plain ignorance. And for others, it's to compensate for having very, very small hands.
It appears that you are the one ridiculing others since you mentioned "all these MT guys". My posts on this do not ridicule anyone. I just find the MT to be more to my taste, needs, and wants. I am sure the PDK is a fabulous transmission. I just prefer a MT.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:11 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You are right, I meant many. I'll change it with my very large hands.

Last edited by petee1997; 06-02-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:34 PM
Shawn C
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DrCGuerra
It appears that you are the one ridiculing others since you mentioned "all these MT guys". My posts on this do not ridicule anyone. I just find the MT to be more to my taste, needs, and wants. I am sure the PDK is a fabulous transmission. I just prefer a MT.
Canadians are sensitive lol. After all Canada is like a loft apartment to a really great party lol
Old 06-02-2016, 03:46 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn C
I know, I know its a Ferrari but just listen to it!!! Omg I wish we could still buy cars this raw today.
Thanks for posting that. Wow; the sounds!
Old 06-02-2016, 05:13 PM
DNorby
Racer

automatic is for trucks and sedans, very silly for a 911
Old 06-02-2016, 06:33 PM
sd vidiot
5th Gear

By checking the Porsche USA website and looking at pre-owned cars listed, the estimated take rate for manual transmissions is 29% for 991 C2 and C2S coupes. Closer to 20% for Cabs. This assumes the average length of ownership is the same for both 7MT and PDK owners.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:54 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DNorby
Many at PAG feel the opposite, as evidenced by the lack of manual option on the top models.

I personally love both and think paying the extra R&D costs to have both for every model will pay off in the long run by keeping everyone happy.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:05 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Porsche and others offered automatics for years when they were much slower with worse fuel efficiency than manuals for people that can't take 5 minutes to learn how to operate a clutch and gearshift, who sit in a lot of stop and go traffic, or have a physical problem shifting like bad knees. Now that automatics are faster with better fuel economy most are taking away manuals.

Just keep offering people the choice so they can get what works for them depending on their situation. As long as I can get a great manual sports car I don't care what other people get.

I thought it was ironic that Ferrari said the Tesla may be incredibly fast, but there is no engine sound and it doesn't have the emotion or feel of a Ferrari when they're the ones who removed the emotional and enjoying manual to put clinical automatics for the sake of performance numbers.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:12 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congratulations guys, you are part of the 20% who still row their gears. All of us with PDK have had MT and graduated to the faster cars like formula 1 men.
This is the first post on this thread 'ridiculing' the opposing transmission. (#17)

Maybe my birth certificate caught up to me but PDK makes me feel like I can actually drive this thing.
This is the second post by you, admitting you would perhaps be overwhelmed with a manual transmission on your current 991?

It's really funny reading this thread where many of these MT guys think this is so macho and how superior it is to drive a manual.
And this is you calling the kettle black.

For someone who sure tries to keep others honest on this board you certainly got work to do with your self. Not one pro MT post came off as 'macho,' indeed, they mostly came off as a preferred choice.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:31 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm impressed by the the vast majority on Rennlist preferring a manual transmission. Unfortunately this is just a small sample. I really wish more people would buy and demand a manual transmission,simply because manufacturers will continue making them.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:36 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn C
Just wondered who else opted for the man pedal.
Originally Posted by c_Gio
MT here. I wouldn't have it any other way but understand the PDK has a place in the world. Like for elderly, combat wounded vets, starlets, etc
Originally Posted by Mechanic
Manual transmission drivers: Those that can, do. (You know the rest.)
Originally Posted by c_Gio
I agree. PDK has a home in the Cayenne & Macan ...
Originally Posted by DNorby
And then the synopsis:

Originally Posted by 997s07
...Not one pro MT post came off as 'macho,' indeed, they mostly came off as a preferred choice.
While I'll agree that the majority of respondents have (to their credit) merely posted their own preference for MT or their belief that it's more engaging or more involving, the quoted posts above sure sound like a collection of fairly macho posts or boasts to me.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:48 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
While I'll agree that the majority of respondents have (to their credit) merely posted their own preference for MT or their belief that it's more engaging or more involving, the quoted posts above sure sound like a collection of fairly macho of collection posts or boasts to me.
To each his own. You think those posts are macho? Fine. Didn't seem macho to me. All good humor. But not everyone takes things the same. Saying automatics belong in sedans, or that they are for the elderly, are macho I guess. Perhaps people with large glove sizes take these posts as macho.

Quick Reply: Manual 991 owners, Are there many of us?