Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennline vs Custom Car Grill?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 12:26 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Can they be taken off without removing the bumper to vacuum out the debris, that would be awesome solution for sure.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:53 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GraSox
Can they be taken off without removing the bumper to vacuum out the debris, that would be awesome solution for sure.
Zunsport, yes. Rennline, No.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:52 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MrGreen
The Zunsport solution looks great, just hard to swallow that price. For $400 delivered (for the black ones) I'd consider it--group buy anyone? Seems the default suggestion is always to go with the Rennline grill, so seeding this group with some grills would be some of the best marketing they could do.
I honestly don't think the product is overpriced for what we as 911 owners are looking for. I can imagine that more than half of prospective buyers would pay another $150 in order to allow a quick install/removal instead of requiring the bumper to come off.

That said, I don't think a group buy will hurt. I'll ask the guy if he's interested in doing something.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:53 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by 77tony
I just ordered Custom Car Grill, small diamond mesh (2qty gloss black 12"x48") since Zunsport isn't out yet for non-parking sensor GTS. I will expose the zip ties so I can cut to access for vacuuming.

My small concern is adding mesh grill will reduce the cooling efficiency, since it will allow about 65% air through. Is my concern valid or am I over thinking it?
Old 05-31-2016, 08:05 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
I honestly don't think the product is overpriced for what we as 911 owners are looking for.
For sure it's high quality looking, and I'm not even sure the Rennsport ones are worth the premium over the DIY grills. So the "total" incremental cost is quite a bit. After 2000 miles, mine seem quite clean so it's not a must have feature. I would do it mostly for the looks, which I think is great--just expensive.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:16 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Originally Posted by MrGreen
For sure it's high quality looking, and I'm not even sure the Rennsport ones are worth the premium over the DIY grills. So the "total" incremental cost is quite a bit. After 2000 miles, mine seem quite clean so it's not a must have feature. I would do it mostly for the looks, which I think is great--just expensive.
Agreed on that point; they're expensive for what they are. Then again, Porsche charges us hundreds of dollars to paint our AC vents a certain color.

I also think that they aren't absolutely necessary. However, if I'm going to be taking my GTS to the track, these will be the first thing I'll install along with a makeshift front bra. I can only imagine all the rubber marbles that can get lodged in there.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:45 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnosol
I just ordered Custom Car Grill, small diamond mesh (2qty gloss black 12"x48") since Zunsport isn't out yet for non-parking sensor GTS. I will expose the zip ties so I can cut to access for vacuuming.

My small concern is adding mesh grill will reduce the cooling efficiency, since it will allow about 65% air through. Is my concern valid or am I over thinking it?
50th spent part of it's life in TX and it's HOT here. No high temp issues. T
Old 05-31-2016, 09:49 PM
Jnosol
Pro

50th spent part of it's life in TX and it's HOT here. No high temp issues. T
Thanks Tony. I spotted a couple small dings from rock chips on the center radiator, this is a must do mod.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:54 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Don't forget to clean and lightly spray those silver rads black. T
Old 05-31-2016, 10:51 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Don't forget to clean and lightly spray those silver rads black. T
Thanks. Any particular type of paint?
Old 05-31-2016, 10:59 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Any high heat auto paint at O'Reilly's, AutoZone will do the trick. T
Old 05-31-2016, 11:27 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Any high heat auto paint at O'Reilly's, AutoZone will do the trick. T
As always, you're da man. Thank you.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:16 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Received my Zunsport grills via FedEx today. Took about a half hour to install them. Pretty easy process. They seem pretty sturdy. The bottom 2 sections are held in place by a built in stopper on one side and a clip installed on the other side. The clip "clips" in place into a designated area on the grill section, so it seems pretty secure. The only hesitation for me was that the top section is held in place via two small screws that screw into the bumper at the very top corner of each end of the grill area (you can see them in the last pic below). After a slight pause, I figured the 2 small holes in each grill area were less of a concern than a direct hit from a rock to the radiator, so I went for it.

Also, in the package was a Loyalty Card which gets me or any of my friends a 15% discount....so if anybody is interested in going with the Zunsport solution, my loyalty number is 1006 31960. Feel free to use it.

And last but not least...somebody asked if they were easily removed for cleaning behind the grill guards. The top section certainly can be easily removed, as its only the two small screws holding it in place. From there, you could likely fairly easily put a small shop vac hose in there to clean up anything that got past the grills. The bottom 2 sections are likely removable as well, but the clips appear fairly sturdy, so removing those might take a bit more work.

Last edited by Al.Fresco; 06-02-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:43 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Thanks for the Loyalty Number, pics, and instructions. Looks really good!
Old 06-02-2016, 05:25 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Originally Posted by Fasttr
Received my Zunsport grills via FedEx today. Took about a half hour to install them. Pretty easy process. They seem pretty sturdy. The bottom 2 sections are held in place by a built in stopper on one side and a clip installed on the other side. The clip "clips" in place into a designated area on the grill section, so it seems pretty secure. The only hesitation for me was that the top section is held in place via two small screws that screw into the bumper at the very top corner of each end of the grill area (you can see them in the last pic below). After a slight pause, I figured the 2 small holes in each grill area were less of a concern than a direct hit from a rock to the radiator, so I went for it.

Also, in the package was a Loyalty Card which gets me or any of my friends a 15% discount....so if anybody is interested in going with the Zunsport solution, my loyalty number is 1006 31960. Feel free to use it.

And last but not least...somebody asked if they were easily removed for cleaning behind the grill guards. The top section certainly can be easily removed, as its only the two small screws holding it in place. From there, you could likely fairly easily put a small shop vac hose in there to clean up anything that got past the grills. The bottom 2 sections are likely removable as well, but the clips appear fairly sturdy, so removing those might take a bit more work.
Awesome write-up; this definitely solidifies my decision to buy these once the non-sensor version comes out.

I also scored us a nice 20% off promo: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9374...1-grilles.html.