Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennline vs Custom Car Grill?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 04:56 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

i ordered honeycomb black aluminum grill sheet off eBay after seeing how exposed our radiators are exposed to debris. Made a template and installed me self ( with some cut knuckles and fingers) attached with blk zip ties on corners that are almost invisible. Thought about the ones that are precut but didn't like the idea of removing bumper. Now if junk manages to get in there I can just cut the zip ties, slide out mesh and vacuum crud. Then just reattach grill.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:05 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Pmorritt
i ordered honeycomb black aluminum grill sheet off eBay after seeing how exposed our radiators are exposed to debris. Made a template and installed me self ( with some cut knuckles and fingers) attached with blk zip ties on corners that are almost invisible. Thought about the ones that are precut but didn't like the idea of removing bumper. Now if junk manages to get in there I can just cut the zip ties, slide out mesh and vacuum crud. Then just reattach grill.
Very cool. Any photos of the zip ties access?
Old 05-25-2016, 05:09 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by drsubie
For me, it came down to opportunity cost: I could very well have gone w/ some generic mesh grills and cut/bent to shape, but the time involved trying to do a 'perfect' job wasn't worth it.

The Rennline grills, though exorbitantly priced for what it is, is of high quality and fitted perfectly.

I did save $ on the install though, I did it myself!
No doubt, Rennline makes good stuff. I do like how it's pre-shaped and pre-cut. The reason why I'm choosing to go with Custom Car Grill are cost and cleaning accessibility once installed. Rennline's custom attachment solution is cool, but you have to take the bumper off if there's any debris to vacuum out. With a DIY solution, you can create a zip tie solution to cut and access via vacuum hose if needed w/o removing the bumper.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:57 AM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnosol
Very cool. Any photos of the zip ties access?
Alas, I am in France right now. I'll be home second week of June. Pm me as a reminder( I suffer from CRS -can't remember ****) and will send you a few pics.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:47 AM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Tony, did you order 1qty 12"x48" or 2qty? You indicated it was only $64 shipped on your thread so I assumed 1qty. I also have a center radiator.
IIRC it was one piece and just had enough. You might want to order a little extra. T
Old 05-26-2016, 01:00 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by 77tony
IIRC it was one piece and just had enough. You might want to order a little extra. T
Thank you brother.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:45 PM
Sayyaaf
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone tried the Zunsport ? I came across these on YT and the installations seems pretty easy compared to rennline !

Old 05-26-2016, 07:09 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Sayyaaf
Anyone tried the Zunsport ? I came across these on YT and the installations seems pretty easy compared to rennline !

Porsche 991 GTS Upper Side Grille Fitting - YouTube
Porsche 991 GTS Centre Outer Grille Fitting - YouTube

Little pricey at least for a MY15 GTS: $ 432.00 + shipping to US https://www.zunsport.com/en/porsche-...lle-set?page=8
Old 05-26-2016, 07:34 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Little pricey at least for a MY15 GTS: $ 432.00 + shipping to US https://www.zunsport.com/en/porsche-...lle-set?page=8

That's not THAT bad if you consider the fact that the bumper doesn't have to come off (vs Rennline).

It doesn't look like Zunsport offers these for cars without parking sensors, though. I may contact them to find out.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:25 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

I'll give them a try. I ordered up the outers for a 991 4S with sensors. $289 including shipping to US.

ETA] They shipped 5/27 (1 day after order) via FedEx with scheduled delivery date of 6/1. Pretty efficient from the UK.

Last edited by Al.Fresco; 05-27-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
That's not THAT bad if you consider the fact that the bumper doesn't have to come off (vs Rennline).

It doesn't look like Zunsport offers these for cars without parking sensors, though. I may contact them to find out.
+1. It would save hours of work. Please let me know about cars w/o parking sensor. My GTS doesn't have front parking sensors.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:32 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

+1. It would save hours of work. Please let me know about cars w/o parking sensor. My GTS doesn't have front parking sensors.
Zunsport got back to me early this morning (they're in the UK). A rep said that they are almost finished with their non-sensor version for our GTSs. He also said that we should expect them to be released by the 4th of July ()!

I've been toying with the idea of covers for our Sport Design fronts but never wanted to pull the trigger. With these guys, though, I may give it a shot. Sure as hell beats taking the front bumper off IMO.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:59 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
Zunsport got back to me early this morning (they're in the UK). A rep said that they are almost finished with their non-sensor version for our GTSs. He also said that we should expect them to be released by the 4th of July ()!

I've been toying with the idea of covers for our Sport Design fronts but never wanted to pull the trigger. With these guys, though, I may give it a shot. Sure as hell beats taking the front bumper off IMO.
Agreed, I don't mind taking the bumper off once to install the grill. But to take it off every season to vacuum out the debris will be a choir. I shine a flash light at my center radiator today, there's a nice indentation from a small rock chip. I'm glad the aluminum didn't give in or I'll be out $700. Not having a grill on these cars is a problem.

Buy the way, does the bumper side vents (plastic slats) come off w/o removing the bumper? It would make cleaning the side radiators much easier.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:12 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

Porsche 991 GTS Upper Side Grille Fitting - YouTube
Porsche 991 GTS Centre Outer Grille Fitting - YouTube
Had them on my 981 Cayman S with both front and back in black. Were awesome and easy to install without any bumper removal. Took about 20 mins. Pics attached.
Yes but very well constructed. Mine lasted and looked like new after 18+ months of ownership when I sold my car to my dealer for a 991S this past March. Looks so good at 1st my SA thought is was an OEM part and upgrade he hadn't heard of! LOL
Don't have them yet for regular 991S w/out sensors. If so would have gone that route. Looks like its Rennline. Zip ties on a $100k Porsche just can't do it IMHO...but agree its a low cost and reversible option for those that do! Zunsport is working on a full set of options for all 991's need to check their website again as of last contact with them in April they still didn't have anything for my 991 S w/out parking sensors. As I recall they needed a car to send templates to them for testing/fitment. I think they do offer a rewards/loyalty program...maybe they will do a group buy for sponsorship?
Attached Images       

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 05-29-2016 at 02:51 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:34 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

The Zunsport solution looks great, just hard to swallow that price. For $400 delivered (for the black ones) I'd consider it--group buy anyone? Seems the default suggestion is always to go with the Rennline grill, so seeding this group with some grills would be some of the best marketing they could do.