Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTI daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 03:48 AM
uberspeed3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GTI is a solid little car, have you folks checked out the BMW 2 series? Not as practical perhaps and a bit more expensive but certainly a hoot to drive.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:25 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've had a bunch of GTIs, a couple of MkVI Golf Rs, and now a 2016 Golf R:

They are great cars. Honestly, I can't think of a better DD for the money. And being completely frank with most people's needs, there is no more car required than what a Golf R brings to the table. It has all the niceties that one would want - nav, BT, sat radio, heated seats, leather, CarPlay, all the driver assistance things (I use half of them).
Old 05-22-2016, 01:07 AM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Our son drives a 2015 Golf TSI....great car, mom and I take it out all the time....I don't care for the sensitive throttle and brakes though.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:14 AM
07CarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali

They are great cars. Honestly, I can't think of a better DD for the money. And being completely frank with most people's needs, there is no more car required than what a Golf R brings to the table. It has all the niceties that one would want - nav, BT, sat radio, heated seats, leather, CarPlay, all the driver assistance things (I use half of them).
Couldn't agree more. I have a white GTI coming in to replace my current Carbon Grey model. Love the DSG. Yes, probably the most useful DD I can think of. Went a couple years without a 911 and the GTI's I had did a great job of keeping me busy during that separation. Great car!
Old 05-22-2016, 09:20 AM
07CarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 50 Posts

Don't have a pic of my 08' GTI but do of my 10', 14' and soon to be replaced '15.
Attached Images    
Old 05-22-2016, 11:05 AM
Imola74
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali

I agree entirely about the new mk7 platform, especially the R. It's really hard to find fault given its value, but I still find myself dreaming of a Porsche. I took delivery of my R back in November. Tracked it a few times and always find myself impressed with its ability. But I want a more connected and raw driving experience. The rear wheel drive character, NA flat six sound..so I think i'm going to be trading it in for 991 3.4 or Cayman S after summer.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:33 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I will be adding a 991 (not sure if a CPO 991.1 GTS or a 991.2) at some point soon (waiting for wife to go back to work). Nothing (NOTHING!) is like a 911. They are just so great.

Until then, the Golf R is a pretty great "placeholder". It honestly does feel like a ¾ scale Carrera 4S. I commented on another site that it genuinely feels like the hot hatch Porsche would make if Porsche made hot hatches...
Old 05-23-2016, 02:18 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Our daughters '14 Beetle Premium is hands down the best car in our household. Ok, I'm between 911's.....but we have a couple of Mercs as well
Old 05-23-2016, 03:50 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Very very happy with my 2013 GTI...a good alternative to my 2000 996 Cab when taking people to dinner or I just want that GTI feel. DSG (and the 5 speed tip) have weened me from manual transmissions. Nothing beats diving into a turn, standing on the brakes and dropping three gears with the flick of your fingers...then standing on the throttle as you power out.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:31 AM
TheEngineer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking about buying a GTI to use as my airport car; but then this week the local dealer seems to have gone poof and disappeared. I got an email on Monday stating that the Porsche + Audi parts of the dealer were sold to another auto group - no mention of the VW part. When I drove by this morning, there was a round hole in their big sign where the VW logo used to be. Is this diesel-gate thing going to take down their dealer network?
Old 05-26-2016, 10:58 PM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheEngineer
I was thinking about buying a GTI to use as my airport car; but then this week the local dealer seems to have gone poof and disappeared. I got an email on Monday stating that the Porsche + Audi parts of the dealer were sold to another auto group - no mention of the VW part. When I drove by this morning, there was a round hole in their big sign where the VW logo used to be. Is this diesel-gate thing going to take down their dealer network?
You must be talking about Thompson selling to Sloane. I received that same email. I find it odd that the website is down and Sloane does not have those sites added to their webpage yet. Also the VW segment moved to Fred Beans.

I should get myself out there and try a GTI I guess...
Old 05-27-2016, 09:29 AM
slidemx5
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Imola74
I agree entirely about the new mk7 platform, especially the R. It's really hard to find fault given its value, but I still find myself dreaming of a Porsche. I took delivery of my R back in November. Tracked it a few times and always find myself impressed with its ability. But I want a more connected and raw driving experience. The rear wheel drive character, NA flat six sound..so I think i'm going to be trading it in for 991 3.4 or Cayman S after summer.

That's very funny to me. I am in the same boat. I have a '15 R DSG (came from a e90 M3 and mk6 R) and am looking to move to a 991 this summer. I don't believe I've seen a red mk7 R. Looks fantastic!

My children have recently shown an interest in participating in some of the car events I participate in, so a backseat is a requirement for now.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:09 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 07CarreraS
I will always have a GTI. Build quality, utility, street light races from every 20 yr old in a Suburu or lowered Honda, high end interior that $50,000 cars envy. nuff said
I kind of feel the same way. Since my 2008 GTI, I've had 2 BMW M coupes, (clown shoes) E36 M3, '69 912 and 2009 Targa4. They've all come and gone, I've kept the 2008 GTI and would have a hard time parting with it. I'm planning to keep the C4S 997 too, and move into a GT3 next.

If you enjoy driving and German quality, the GTI/R is the perfect 'other' car. You simply don't need more (unless of you need a lot more space!)
Old 05-28-2016, 09:50 PM
jbdmd
Pro

Wait. You live in Florida? And you have a 911? Why on earth do you need/want a daily driver? Are you worried about resale? Wear? Or are you driving a lesser car daily as penance for some past (or future) sin?
Old 05-28-2016, 11:40 PM
cajuncroc
Advanced

I've had a TR 2016 R for about 4-5 months. Replacing a 06 Cayman S as my DD. It's an amazing car for the money. Great interior, great ride and good handling with the DCC. Built in Germany. If you load up a GTI with leather, PP package, Nav, etc the delta to the R is probably 4-6 K. You can find them for MSRP or a little under, and remember VW's markup is slightly less than Porsche. LOL

Quick Reply: GTI daily driver?