Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTI daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 04:37 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 200 Posts

Have a 2017 Golf R on order for my wife, should be here in mid-October... Lapiz Blue, DSG, Tech package. Looking forward to it, I often drive her car on the weekends or to run errands and this certainly represents a big upgrade on fun to drive factor from her Mercedes B250. Got to test drive one before we ordered and it is a rocket... hard to beat in terms of car for the dollar too.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:38 PM
07CarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Have a 2017 Golf R on order for my wife, should be here in mid-October... Lapiz Blue, DSG, Tech package. Looking forward to it, I often drive her car on the weekends or to run errands and this certainly represents a big upgrade on fun to drive factor from her Mercedes B250. Got to test drive one before we ordered and it is a rocket... hard to beat in terms of car for the dollar too.
Congrats! Great choice!!
Old 08-25-2016, 07:58 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

I got rid of my 15 GTI for a mini s for my daughter. She REALLY wanted the mini. Ever since I've missed the GTI. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my 6spd golf r any day now!
Old 10-14-2016, 09:01 PM
venval
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in a snow state and tested a GTI today as a winter car for snowy/salty conditions... Boy it's fun, love the cloth seats and it's roomy, but has a lot of trouble putting down power on acceleration. Tons of wheel spin, even when I wasn't really gunning it. Some others have mentioned that in this thread.
If I get this thing and throw on winters and maybe drive more carefully will I be happy or regret it?
I want to love this but suspect I'll be cursing it when it snows.
Thanks
Old 10-14-2016, 09:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I love the idea of a Golf R as a run around/weekend/go to the beach hot hatch, but I swore on my mother's grave that I'd never buy another VW after my last experience with their cars and their dealers. Then again, I tried to buy my son a GTI as his high school car, but he thought it was dorky...so I bought him a Camry. I'll give you dorky and raise you a weeny...
Old 10-14-2016, 11:55 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pavster
I am also a bit confused. GTIs are great cars, no doubt, but 911's are much better cars, really the perfect sports car for daily driving. Why would you not DD your 911? I enjoy my C2 the most in the rain when I can slide it around at sane speeds.

Back on the topic of the GTI, I've driven most generations (my dad has been leasing them for the last 10-15 years) and that lack of traction off the line (especially if it's wet) and turbo lag just kill all the fun for me.
I have to say I'm not a great fan of the GTI thus I DD a VA STI. Better made, way more reliable, can go just about anywhere in just about any conditions and its much more fun too. Also, over here in Australia VW have a terrible reputation and have routinely been at the bottom of the pack in a number of consumer surveys (and indeed for 3 years in a row). In fact Volkswagen-Audi appear on a lemon list and the 2L TFSI is listed as problematical as it is a notorious oil guzzler. I think it was John Cadogan that called it a show bag car (A show bag is something you buy at a circus or fair - shiny on the outside but full of **** on the inside).
Old 10-15-2016, 09:20 AM
mdork
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by venval
I live in a snow state and tested a GTI today as a winter car for snowy/salty conditions... Boy it's fun, love the cloth seats and it's roomy, but has a lot of trouble putting down power on acceleration. Tons of wheel spin, even when I wasn't really gunning it. Some others have mentioned that in this thread.
If I get this thing and throw on winters and maybe drive more carefully will I be happy or regret it?
Thanks
i cant answer for you but the wheel spin (and wheel hop) drove me nuts in my 2015 GTI. Traded up to a 2016 6MT Golf R and am loving it. Miss the glass roof in the GTI but otherwise it's a much better car. the perfect complement to my C4S.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:43 AM
TheEngineer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks
I got mine with the performance package, which adds a limited slip differential. It makes a big difference in putting down the power. Can't comment on snow yet as I bought it this summer.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:55 AM
venval
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. To be honest I think the wheel spin was part of the fun!! but not for snow...

Not sure I want to spend golf R money. Only reason not to DD a 911 in the snow is preservation against salt, etc and the added maintenance/depreciation but once you pay $35k+ it's hard to justify that over just driving the 911 hard and upgrading to a new one more quickly.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:03 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks guys. To be honest I think the wheel spin was part of the fun!! but not for snow...

Not sure I want to spend golf R money. Only reason not to DD a 911 in the snow is preservation against salt, etc and the added maintenance/depreciation but once you pay $35k+ it's hard to justify that over just driving the 911 hard and upgrading to a new one more quickly.
Good news is that the 911 would fare pretty well in the salt environment due to its body manufactured in galvanized steel.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:53 AM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

just traded my 2013 GTI for a 2017 Golf R
Old 02-12-2017, 04:48 PM
07CarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ispool
sorry to resurrect this threat - I noticed that reliability wasn't addressed. Have you GTI owners (particularly 2012 and newer) had a lot of reliability issues?
No issues with the MKVII GTI. I've had a new one every year since 2014 and no issues. Great car to drive and scoot around town in and a plus when throwing stuff in the back for a beach trip.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:11 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by TheEngineer
I got mine with the performance package, which adds a limited slip differential. It makes a big difference in putting down the power. Can't comment on snow yet as I bought it this summer.
Just picked up a 2017 Sport. This thing is a blast! I was going to lease one 3 years ago but the lease rates were horrible. The MF still sucks but found a dealer this time around wiling to negotiate and got what I think is a pretty good deal.

There is no more Performance Pack. It's comes standard on the Sport trim and up. The LSD and the Xenons were enough to make it worth the upgrade to me.

Name:  photo651.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  241.8 KB
Old 02-12-2017, 09:57 PM
vivalaReagan
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts

Also picked up a 2017 sport for my kid to learn to drive and I'm using it to keep the miles off my 991. For the money, it's a fantastic car & one can sense its family lineage. I'm also not so subtly introducing my daughter to German engineering.

Last edited by vivalaReagan; 02-17-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:32 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

My wife has had her 2017 red Golf R for a few months. She loves it. 6-MT and AWD, a rare combination. I put on a set of Blizzaks for her and it's great in the VT snow. We did have to turn off the 'soundaktor " since it made the 4 cylinder sound like a flock of deranged bleating sheep. And turbolag on the throttle blip on downshift, argh.

But no illusions, it is a long long way from my daily driver 6MT 981 Cayman GTS. Granted it beats the Cayman on snow. I'm thinking of ordering a 991.2 C4 as my winter beater and GT cruiser. I wouldn't want to DD the Golf R if I can drive a Porsche.

Quick Reply: GTI daily driver?