Sponsored by:

Got rear ended today...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 03:39 AM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrGPD
Just got the car back on Monday after being in repair since May 4th...

Had such high hopes - sadly came crashing down on collection and over last 2 days...

Went to collect vehicle and this is what I found (oh by the way this was at a Porsche Certified Shop.....)

Drivers side air vent loose (I found this myself!) Apparently a broken clip - how this was not detected during 3 assessors looking at it plus the, ahem, 'quality check' I do not know - part re ordered apparently and awaiting fitment

Still several weeks to go until passengers side full leather door trim replacement arrives..yes, several weeks

They hadn't put stone guards on - wish they'd told me all this before I went to collect after being told it was ready - apparently they got ones that 'didn't stick' and were waiting replacements - due in tomorrow

Cabriolet top (new) rattles beyond belief - absolutely horrendous from back, front and sides. I don't even think it is properly sealed - the shop told me to avoid using the top as long as possible as it is new...erm....it is a convertible - they said apparently the fabric needs to stretch

Exhaust (PSE) does not sound right at all - is there any way I can have someone check if is still working post repair? No noticeable sound difference on vs off, also, it rattles too arrggggghh

Rear driver's side window doesn't go down flush (rests proud of the seal) - I had to point this out myself (they said no one saw this on inspection) I noticed the shop had a 991 Turbo Cab, and made them drop the top/windows to show them that they should be flush - appalling quality work so far....

Seals don't look right on the passengers side window between front and rear

Today, driving home on first 'proper' drive, cooling system fault warning pops on- I call certified body shop and their response is 'the odd thing is about this error is that the cooling system was not touched during our repair process - let us know if you want us to take a look at it' - pretty sure after 50k of repairs primarily to rear of car that this is connected.......

Seriously think this is the start of a litany of errors/faults and only had the car back less than 48 hrs

Absolutely shockingly bad service from the Certified Body Shop - now in comms with Geico about getting this sorted out

Where I am really confused is - is my CPO still valid? Are the problems covered under that, or manufacturers warranty, or do I get another Porsche Certified Shop to take the car and look at it?
which shop did you use?
Old 07-21-2016, 09:13 AM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Exhaust (PSE) does not sound right at all - is there any way I can have someone check if is still working post repair? No noticeable sound difference on vs off, also, it rattles too arrggggghh

Today, driving home on first 'proper' drive, cooling system fault warning pops on- I call certified body shop and their response is 'the odd thing is about this error is that the cooling system was not touched during our repair process - let us know if you want us to take a look at it' - pretty sure after 50k of repairs primarily to rear of car that this is connected.......
Sorry to hear that they didn't get your car repaired right the first time. I wouldn't be surprised if the cooling system fault and PSE sound are related issues. Both systems share some vacuum lines, and if there is a leak (not unlikely since PSE was probably replaced) then your exhaust won't sound right, and you'll also get a cooling system fault too.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:21 AM
MrGPD
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alioto's in San Francisco
Old 07-21-2016, 03:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,310 Posts

Alioto's in San Francisco
WoW! - I'm surprised they f**ked up. Apologies since I strongly recommended this shop initially.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:54 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Keep pushing for a total loss...these hassles are just the beginning.

Man this sucks...
+1, I agree, that is what I did with my father's MDX, they were trying to fix it, I kept asking the body shop to find more problems and finally the insurance company agreed. Cars are never the same when it's fixed, OP, I would try to get diminished value and trade it or sell it quick. It's not worth keeping.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:32 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Geico ... Your problems might just be beginning. Did they use genuine Porsche parts?
Old 07-22-2016, 11:48 AM
phillyred79
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please...

I can only imagine your frustrations OP...
Old 07-22-2016, 08:27 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

I can say fro experience that the vacuum lines to your PSE are either not hooked up or are leaking significantly. That is the reason you got the Coolant warning light. The cooling system has a sensor that is at least to some degree vacuum operated. With the nipple leading from the car to the PSE not secured, there is no vacuum for the coolant sensor. A quick fix is to simply plug the vacuum nipple, then if you clear the Coolant code it should stay cleared. Of course, in order for the PSE to work again the vacuum lines need to be secured. It could easily be as simple as re-attaching the vacuum line. The nipple is up above and toward the front of the car from the PSE. A little hard to get Sowithout the rear of the car up at least some. There are many bolts on the PSE that can rattle, including the quad pipes. Of course, all of this is the least of your worries. Best of luck coming out of this. You should take a look at the consumer protection laws in your state. Many jurisdictions provide for court costs and attorneys fees, but not under just any circumstances. I think you need to push GEICO really hard. The only interest they have is to pay out as little as possible.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:40 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

One last thing: Can anyone here imagine buying the OP's car after $50k in damage? Most of us would not touch it under any circumstances. I think you could probably get a diminished value number from Porsche dealers, and also get them to state that they would never buy a 991 with that much damage.

I wonder if there is language in the CPO contract that excludes defects resulting from accident damage. Knowing Porsche, the answer is quite obvious.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:00 PM
Sam Zamir
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I just came across this thread for the first time and have a few thoughts:

- First of all, thank you to all the Rennlisters who say such nice things about us and the post we wrote on "just a bumper job, huh?"

- I wish I could service everyone in every state on this forum, but alas I can't.

- There are very good shops on the PACC program and though you aren't guaranteed to never have problems, you are guaranteed that they will be resolved.

- I've yet heard from someone in California show me a DV claim settlement and how they came to that number. I would LOVE to hear form anyone who has. PM me!!!

- It sounds like this car should have been totaled, and if it was GEICO's decision to not total it, that wouldn't surprise me. I've had a few repairs with them go over threshold, at which point it gets ugly on how to proceed. Other insurance companies I've experienced this with would total it, even after spending all that money on repairs. Not sure what to expect from GEICO.

- If you still have unresolved issues (with shop or Insurance), please PM me, and I'll offer whatever advice I can.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:51 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 421 Posts

Same thing happened to my 991 in July. Got State Farm to fix my car but still no DV claim payout from USAA (my insurance company) nor them (State Farm). 10k damage claim paid thought. Wonder if I should still fight for my DV claim though.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:47 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Same thing happened to my 991 in July. Got State Farm to fix my car but still no DV claim payout from USAA (my insurance company) nor them (State Farm). 10k damage claim paid thought. Wonder if I should still fight for my DV claim though.
This happened to me years ago - the advice back then was to sue your insurance company for breech of contract. It's their contractual obligation to compensate you for your loss. (note: not an attorney but I did hire one then).

Don't forget the adage though: "when you have to pay, delay" it's the insurance company motto.

I found these guys to be helpful (process varies by state) http://www.diminishedvalueca.com/
Old 12-31-2016, 02:21 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
This happened to me years ago - the advice back then was to sue your insurance company for breech of contract. It's their contractual obligation to compensate you for your loss. (note: not an attorney but I did hire one then).

Don't forget the adage though: "when you have to pay, delay" it's the insurance company motto.

I found these guys to be helpful (process varies by state) http://www.diminishedvalueca.com/
Collecting DV is a challenge even when the other driver is clearly at fault. If the DV is $5K or less, then you can take it to small claims court and represent yourself. If it's significant amount of money and the Insurance company won't pay, then you have no choice but to sue the company. Unfortunately, no attorney will take a DV suit on a contingency basis. So you will be incurring significant attorney costs well before the case even goes to court. The Insurance company's strategy is to overwhelm your attorney with paperwork, and even a half decent lawyer will have a billing rate of $300+ an hour. So there's some risk involved, but in a case where there's no question as to who is at fault, the risks should be minimal.

Quick Reply: Got rear ended today...