Vintage72
Rennlist Member

guaranteed to be a total
Old 05-12-2016 | 12:19 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrGPD
or send to one of the local Porche Certified Approved Collision Centers?

Just a bit confused!
You really need to read through this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7603...r-job-huh.html

Just the first post will give you the answer you seek.
Old 05-12-2016 | 12:36 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

if it is to be repaired contact Chris Alioto at alioto's garage on Van Ness in S.F

Porsche certified and will do the best job...
Old 05-12-2016 | 12:38 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Car is with a Bay Area Porsche Dealer - initial estimate (they haven't even taken off the bumper) is circa $30k - am sure there will be more damage lurking underneath

Some advice wanted - stick with them for repair (they have their own on site body shop) or send to one of the local Porche Certified Approved Collision Centers?

Just a bit confused!
get the car to Alioto's on S. Van Ness and contact Chris A directly he's a certified Porsche repair shop, and the work he does is 2nd to none IMO
Old 05-12-2016 | 01:29 AM
air-cooledjbj
Instructor

Default Call me

Picked up my (Perfect) CPO C2S Cab 7 weeks ago in LA, beautiful drive home to SF via Ojai etc , great car so far, until this morning..

Lady behind me drove into me circa 40mph, no airbag deployment, seatbelt pretensioners activated though.

See glass pic for what happens when your roll over safety activates - glass flew into front of car - really hoping this is totalled, sports exhaust etc destroyed and panels all seem to be buckled :-( Engine def took the brunt of the impact

Still alive though, and a car is only an inanimate object - won't feel the same if it is just repaired though... beginning to wish I had leased it, but c'est la vie, at least I am alive and able to moan about it.
Mr GPD: sorry about your accident. But I'm glad to see you walked away and are doing ok. Yes, pain and symptoms usually show up a little later on (after shock and adrenaline decrease or go away). I'm a personal injury attorney and handle cases all over CA. If you like, give me a call at 310-407-0766 and ask for me. I'll give you some free advice and help you out with your car at no charge. I'm here to help a fellow Porsche fan and Rennlister
Old 06-06-2016 | 09:36 PM
MrGPD
Track Day

Default well my revised damage estimate is $50k ...

No structural/frame damage - just a few very very expensive parts inc new cabrio roof...so annoyed that not a total loss :-(

I better get a darn good diminished value check from this
Old 06-06-2016 | 09:51 PM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Looking at those photos makes me want to cry. Glad to hear you're ok though.
Old 06-06-2016 | 10:33 PM
LexVan
Banned

You need to negotiate loss of use, too. It's already been a month, and likely another one will pass before you are back on the road again.
Old 06-06-2016 | 11:28 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Man, I probably want to sell the car right after they fixed it.
Old 06-06-2016 | 11:53 PM
roadrat
Pro

No structural/frame damage - just a few very very expensive parts inc new cabrio roof...so annoyed that not a total loss :-(

I better get a darn good diminished value check from this
Sorry to hear. This really sucks
Old 06-08-2016 | 12:52 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Glad you're OK!

Sorry they didn't find frame or mechanical damage - amazing really!!

DV claims can be tricky and vary by state and insurance company policy. I was able to get State Farm to pay years ago for loss of use and DV on a 993 that a woman hit hard on front quarter ($25K damage) but it took 7 months to iron out (sorry, not trying to scare you). You will likely want to get estimates from several dealers to buy back the car to document DV.

Be wary of little tricks like them sending you a "settlement check" (for less than loss +DV) that has small print where you sign claiming that, by endorsing, you waive all future claims from them - yes that really happened. Slime *****.

Not sure if you need it - but you could consider a company like this that specializes in appraisals for DV http://www.diminishedvalueca.com/

Good luck!

Last edited by Chris C.; 06-08-2016 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-20-2016 | 10:31 PM
MrGPD
Track Day

Default Update on the car/repair

Just got the car back on Monday after being in repair since May 4th...

Had such high hopes - sadly came crashing down on collection and over last 2 days...

Went to collect vehicle and this is what I found (oh by the way this was at a Porsche Certified Shop.....)

Drivers side air vent loose (I found this myself!) Apparently a broken clip - how this was not detected during 3 assessors looking at it plus the, ahem, 'quality check' I do not know - part re ordered apparently and awaiting fitment

Still several weeks to go until passengers side full leather door trim replacement arrives..yes, several weeks

They hadn't put stone guards on - wish they'd told me all this before I went to collect after being told it was ready - apparently they got ones that 'didn't stick' and were waiting replacements - due in tomorrow

Cabriolet top (new) rattles beyond belief - absolutely horrendous from back, front and sides. I don't even think it is properly sealed - the shop told me to avoid using the top as long as possible as it is new...erm....it is a convertible - they said apparently the fabric needs to stretch

Exhaust (PSE) does not sound right at all - is there any way I can have someone check if is still working post repair? No noticeable sound difference on vs off, also, it rattles too arrggggghh

Rear driver's side window doesn't go down flush (rests proud of the seal) - I had to point this out myself (they said no one saw this on inspection) I noticed the shop had a 991 Turbo Cab, and made them drop the top/windows to show them that they should be flush - appalling quality work so far....

Seals don't look right on the passengers side window between front and rear

Today, driving home on first 'proper' drive, cooling system fault warning pops on- I call certified body shop and their response is 'the odd thing is about this error is that the cooling system was not touched during our repair process - let us know if you want us to take a look at it' - pretty sure after 50k of repairs primarily to rear of car that this is connected.......

Seriously think this is the start of a litany of errors/faults and only had the car back less than 48 hrs

Absolutely shockingly bad service from the Certified Body Shop - now in comms with Geico about getting this sorted out

Where I am really confused is - is my CPO still valid? Are the problems covered under that, or manufacturers warranty, or do I get another Porsche Certified Shop to take the car and look at it?

Last edited by MrGPD; 07-20-2016 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Wanted to add info
Old 07-20-2016 | 10:47 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Keep pushing for a total loss...these hassles are just the beginning.

Man this sucks...
Old 07-20-2016 | 11:06 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

the car should go back to the dealership for inspection paid for by insurance. sorry for the accident.
Old 07-21-2016 | 12:11 AM
tampaukfan
Instructor

I went through a similar situation with a Audi A6 2 years ago.
Took my car to the "best" body shop and only Audi certified one and they did a total crap job. Body panels were off, they damaged interior parts and I had rattles. Needless to say I took a hard hit and sold it.. I was at fault so I paid dearly.. You need to fight for at least 20k in diminished value.. then just dump it.
Car will never be right again..
My mom got rear ended in her CLS, 9k repair and she got a check for 10k in diminished value.

Just got the car back on Monday after being in repair since May 4th...

Had such high hopes - sadly came crashing down on collection and over last 2 days...

Went to collect vehicle and this is what I found (oh by the way this was at a Porsche Certified Shop.....)

Drivers side air vent loose (I found this myself!) Apparently a broken clip - how this was not detected during 3 assessors looking at it plus the, ahem, 'quality check' I do not know - part re ordered apparently and awaiting fitment

Still several weeks to go until passengers side full leather door trim replacement arrives..yes, several weeks

They hadn't put stone guards on - wish they'd told me all this before I went to collect after being told it was ready - apparently they got ones that 'didn't stick' and were waiting replacements - due in tomorrow

Cabriolet top (new) rattles beyond belief - absolutely horrendous from back, front and sides. I don't even think it is properly sealed - the shop told me to avoid using the top as long as possible as it is new...erm....it is a convertible - they said apparently the fabric needs to stretch

Exhaust (PSE) does not sound right at all - is there any way I can have someone check if is still working post repair? No noticeable sound difference on vs off, also, it rattles too arrggggghh

Rear driver's side window doesn't go down flush (rests proud of the seal) - I had to point this out myself (they said no one saw this on inspection) I noticed the shop had a 991 Turbo Cab, and made them drop the top/windows to show them that they should be flush - appalling quality work so far....

Seals don't look right on the passengers side window between front and rear

Today, driving home on first 'proper' drive, cooling system fault warning pops on- I call certified body shop and their response is 'the odd thing is about this error is that the cooling system was not touched during our repair process - let us know if you want us to take a look at it' - pretty sure after 50k of repairs primarily to rear of car that this is connected.......

Seriously think this is the start of a litany of errors/faults and only had the car back less than 48 hrs

Absolutely shockingly bad service from the Certified Body Shop - now in comms with Geico about getting this sorted out

Where I am really confused is - is my CPO still valid? Are the problems covered under that, or manufacturers warranty, or do I get another Porsche Certified Shop to take the car and look at it?

Quick Reply: Got rear ended today...