Sponsored by:

991.2-Will they sell?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 03:23 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Glad you love your superior .2. According to the local dealers here in NorCal, you might be the only one. Sales and preorders have fallen off a cliff according to the sales guys I chatted with this week when I dropped by.
My dealer had one .2 Coupe in stock and two Cabs when I picked up my car on April 19th. It was ordered October 26th, 2015 and it was a launch car. The cars they are selling now, are for Sept. delivery.

They just had their official new car intro for the .2 this past Wednesday. Judging from that, it would appear business is at least normal.

Last edited by petee1997; 04-30-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:14 PM
pdutta2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just came back from a test drive of a base 991.2 at my local dealer. They are going to sell A TON of these things. The base car is a monster. Faster than my 997.1S and has all the tech goodies that we expect. They are also going to sell A TON of PSE upgrades. The car was silent. I don't know how else to say it but it felt like I was in an Audi...not a Porsche. Sounded fine from outside but inside the cabin was silent. If you're ordering just do yourself a favor and check the PSE option box. It's mandatory.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:54 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by pdutta2000
Just came back from a test drive of a base 991.2 at my local dealer. They are going to sell A TON of these things. The base car is a monster. Faster than my 997.1S and has all the tech goodies that we expect. They are also going to sell A TON of PSE upgrades. The car was silent. I don't know how else to say it but it felt like I was in an Audi...not a Porsche. Sounded fine from outside but inside the cabin was silent. If you're ordering just do yourself a favor and check the PSE option box. It's mandatory.
Did your test car have PSE?
Old 04-30-2016, 08:57 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Sure hope they have less turbo lag than the Cayenne S. That car is a dawg.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:21 PM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by pdutta2000
.... The car was silent. I don't know how else to say it but it felt like I was in an Audi...not a Porsche. Sounded fine from outside but inside the cabin was silent. ...
there are people out there that go to "muffle" the interior noise/drone by stuffing the symposer port inside the cabin on the NA cars with PSE. so not entirely a bad thing for some.

just sayin'
Old 05-01-2016, 07:14 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am quite happy with the level of engine noise noise or lack of to some people, inside my 991.2 C4S but the road noise can be high.
No need to muffle the symposers for me.
Yesterday drove 120 miles on Expressways and Tollways around Chicago, mostly in pouring rain. AUTO wipers, AC window fog prevention worked great. Found out that at speed, you don't need a rear wiper as the air flow keeps the rear window clear!
Car was just a comfortable controllable environment that gave one the feeling of being in control in the rain at speed.-Richard
Old 05-01-2016, 09:02 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am sure the 991.2 is great car. That isn't my problem. My problem is buying ANY new car in it's first year of production. Brand new engine. I wouldn't touch it for 1-2 years. 2 weeks ago at our car's n coffee a member brought out his GT3RS. He just got it out of the shop. The RWS system had to be replaced and needed special alignment. He was told that if it wasn't under warranty it would have cost 7-8K. The dealer was not sure why the system had "loosened up". If I was going to get a 991.2 (unlikely) I would wait for the 991.2 GTS. It will be the best of the breed and all the kinks will be ironed out. But I do want to thank all you new buyers for testing it out for me in the meantime.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:24 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Just texted my SA. He said all but two cabs had sold, and lots of orders.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:14 AM
pdutta2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by subshooter
Did your test car have PSE?
No PSE on the test car. I'll try a PSE car later this summer. BTW my dealer only had allocations available for Sept at the earliest. They had 4 HIGHLY optioned (+$180k MSRP) Turbos in their back area that were already sold. These cars are clearly selling very well. I'm not concerned about Porsche financials.

Can I also say that Porsche has the best interiors in the industry right now? The dealer had a Cayenne GTS sitting around and it was amazing inside. Love the cockpit feel of the styling. The interior design language is spot on.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:04 AM
LnC993
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
I am sure the 991.2 is great car. That isn't my problem. My problem is buying ANY new car in it's first year of production. Brand new engine. I wouldn't touch it for 1-2 years. 2 weeks ago at our car's n coffee a member brought out his GT3RS. He just got it out of the shop. The RWS system had to be replaced and needed special alignment. He was told that if it wasn't under warranty it would have cost 7-8K. The dealer was not sure why the system had "loosened up". If I was going to get a 991.2 (unlikely) I would wait for the 991.2 GTS. It will be the best of the breed and all the kinks will be ironed out. But I do want to thank all you new buyers for testing it out for me in the meantime.
Good point regarding to first year of production of a brand new engine. 991.1's engine has been extremely solid and hope the new 3.0 turbo can hold up just as well.

That RWS alignment issue is interesting. That RWS option is one of big selling point for me regarding to 991.2 and I haven't come across any other RWS issue mentioned from GT3/GT3 RS forum. I hope this is just an isolated issue.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:34 PM
budrichard
Banned

I ordered my 981B on Jan 2 2103, I got a 2013 Model, while technically not the first year of production, it's close.
Not a single problem and that includes many Track Days at Road America and about 17k miles.
I'm not getting any younger, so for me, no problem to order a 991.2 12/7/2015.
Delivered April 15, 2016 as a 2017 Model, as of this moment, 1493 miles with not a single problem, no need for adjustment, nothing.
Porsche is the only manufacturer, I would purchase the first year of production.-Richard
Old 05-01-2016, 02:33 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are welcome
Old 05-01-2016, 04:23 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LnC993
Good point regarding to first year of production of a brand new engine. 991.1's engine has been extremely solid and hope the new 3.0 turbo can hold up just as well.

That RWS alignment issue is interesting. That RWS option is one of big selling point for me regarding to 991.2 and I haven't come across any other RWS issue mentioned from GT3/GT3 RS forum. I hope this is just an isolated issue.
The 991.1 was the final evolution of the 3.6/8 and the 991.1 proved to be perfection in build quality from day 1. The 3.0 will hopefully be as bullet proof but isn't a sure thing since it's a new design.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:24 PM
thomnellie
Racer

In general, I agree that first year models are at best beta's. However, I bought a Boxster S with the then brand new PDK and never had any problems. I ordered my 991.1 Targa as soon as released and have experienced no problems. Maybe just lucky.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:17 PM
Racer

Most marques I agree: do not buy early. I waited for year 2+ for all my new car purchases (except... below).

W/ Porsche AG I am breaking my rule as articulated by Bacura (do not buy yr 1 and new engined cars).

For one Porsches are so meticulously engineered; second they test extensively; and third it's not like 991.2 is the 1st turbo-engined car they have rolled out.

Consequently I proceeded, and there is thing called a warranty. Re RWS/GT3 RS: that's a shame, frustrating for the owner no doubt, hopefully anomalous. I also wanted RWS - warranty again.

Quick Reply: 991.2-Will they sell?