Sponsored by:

New Radar/Laser System Installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 09:30 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Move the Rear Jammer

If there is room......between the muffler and the heat shield....I would move them there closer to the license plate. Or if I relied on the system all the time I would cut them in at the bottom of the license plate.
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2016, 07:00 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,182 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Correct - The only way to "truly" test effectiveness is with a real laser gun. We're a bit at the mercy of the radicals and testing organizations for that. RALETC does most of the effectiveness testing of new LIDAR jamming technology.

The technician/integrators job is to make sure the system functions properly and the sensors/jammers are positioned correctly, everything else is on the product manufacturer IMO.
Maybe poorly written on my part, but I meant the effectiveness of the install and not the effectiveness of the jammers themselves. For example, an installer could put the heads too far apart - the heads could still jam an attack but may be effective only 75% of the time because the installer put them too far apart. The best jammers on the market will be ineffective if installed improperly (too high, too low, too recessed, too far apart, etc).
Old 04-18-2016, 02:38 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 684 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Maybe poorly written on my part, but I meant the effectiveness of the install and not the effectiveness of the jammers themselves. For example, an installer could put the heads too far apart - the heads could still jam an attack but may be effective only 75% of the time because the installer put them too far apart. The best jammers on the market will be ineffective if installed improperly (too high, too low, too recessed, too far apart, etc).
Ah, I see what you're getting at now. A laser gun could definitely help you test the effectiveness of the install. The manufacturers and testing organizations have a laundry list of guidelines when it comes to placement(height from the ground, distance apart, amount of inset, precision leveling, etc....). I feel that as long as we build within those that it shouldn't be a problem in most cases.

To accurately gauge the install I think you would need more than one gun. Or at the very least, knowledge of what gun(s) are used in your area.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:53 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Ah, I see what you're getting at now. A laser gun could definitely help you test the effectiveness of the install. The manufacturers and testing organizations have a laundry list of guidelines when it comes to placement(height from the ground, distance apart, amount of inset, precision leveling, etc....). I feel that as long as we build within those that it shouldn't be a problem in most cases.

To accurately gauge the install I think you would need more than one gun. Or at the very least, knowledge of what gun(s) are used in your area.
Totally agree.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:59 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

All this talk got me wondering if this system was set up correctly. So I bought one of these.

The Stinger VIP works great. At 500 feet anywhere I hit the the front or rear of the the car the system off and it does it's count down (JTK) and after the countdown I get a speed reading.

Down to 200 feet (or less) it is working great.

Shooting at the license plate or the PORSCHE emblem sets off the detector at 150 feet. And the Shield goes up.

With my limited testing of the STINGER VIP I am more that impressed with the Laser capability of the system.

The user manual of the (LIDAR) LTI 20/20 says if you get a E07 Error Code the gun is being Jammed. I don't get that code. The Error Code I get is a E03 Measurement error - unstable targeting. Caused by poor aiming or by panning off the target.

I could not be happier.
Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2016, 10:33 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Oh boy, went big dog! Please keep us posted real world feedback. How many diffusers do you have? First one I've ever seen installed on this forum.
My install from last year can be seen here. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8730...t-the-gts.html

Stinger is crazy expensive, but Cliff, their US importer is truly second to none when it comes to customer service. If you're considering the system, you should have one-on-one tech discussions with Cliff. He gets involved in almost every US install I think.

When I got my system last year, Stinger was #1 (by far) for radar detection, but #2 for laser detection (behind ALP). Cliff was working with the Stinger team in the Netherlands to upgrade the laser side and promised me what he thought would be a software upgrade. The Dutch guys are crazy techies and they never got happy with a software solution. They ended up developing all new laser detection and reflection hardware as well as a whole new system CPU. True to his word, Cliff set me up with all new hardware last fall and worked with my installer to have the whole system re-installed with the upgraded components without charge.

I think that with Stinger, you get what you pay for.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:47 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

No doubt a great system. I just installed the AL Priority. Just started driving this season and looking forward to testing it out.

Regardless, nothing is full proof. You need to drive smart too.

I must say, recently started using WAZE.

WOW! Seriously, it has been great. Alerted me to every police officer over the past week. Geez, on my first day using it I'm on try freeway. I hear a "roadkill" alert. I'm like, laughing. Like 10 seconds later, there's something dead rough between the lanes! Altered me to a bunch of huge semi tire pieces all over the road too. Wasn't in the 991 that day. That front bumper would have scooped them all up
Old 05-07-2016, 10:32 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 110 Posts

Oh boy, went big dog! Please keep us posted real world feedback.

How many diffusers do you have?

First one I've ever seen installed on this forum.
No doubt a great system. I just installed the AL Priority. Just started driving this season and looking forward to testing it out.

Regardless, nothing is full proof. You need to drive smart too.

I must say, recently started using WAZE.

WOW! Seriously, it has been great. Alerted me to every police officer over the past week. Geez, on my first day using it I'm on try freeway. I hear a "roadkill" alert. I'm like, laughing. Like 10 seconds later, there's something dead rough between the lanes! Altered me to a bunch of huge semi tire pieces all over the road too. Wasn't in the 991 that day. That front bumper would have scooped them all up
I can't believe I haven't tried Waze yet. I will get that app tonight
Old 05-08-2016, 11:16 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by arlan in arizona
All this talk got me wondering if this system was set up correctly. So I bought one of these.

The Stinger VIP works great. At 500 feet anywhere I hit the the front or rear of the the car the system off and it does it's count down (JTK) and after the countdown I get a speed reading.

Down to 200 feet (or less) it is working great.

Shooting at the license plate or the PORSCHE emblem sets off the detector at 150 feet. And the Shield goes up.

With my limited testing of the STINGER VIP I am more that impressed with the Laser capability of the system.

The user manual of the (LIDAR) LTI 20/20 says if you get a E07 Error Code the gun is being Jammed. I don't get that code. The Error Code I get is a E03 Measurement error - unstable targeting. Caused by poor aiming or by panning off the target.

I could not be happier.
Good news! Can I borrow your gun?

Just wondering who did your install. Also, did you leave your rears heads or did you move them?
Old 05-08-2016, 02:41 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Also, did you leave your rears heads or did you move them?
I left the rear heads where they were. Everything seems to be working great. I am going out in a little while to do a few more tests.

Check out this infrared picture of a video. It is one of the emitters on the rear of the car.
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2016, 11:54 AM
barney55
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iIn case you didn't know

In most of main land Europe Radar detectors and jammers are banned banned banned, the poliz don't like a fair game of cat and mouse!

The best we have is Tom tom type fixed camera location warnings and

mobile camera updates sent in by joe public.

Uk still allows some equipment not sure what though.

Last edited by barney55; 05-09-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:18 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by arlan in arizona
Signature Audio in Scottsdale, AZ.
You have a great system. Only big problem is having to deal with Dave. Once was enough and I would not want to deal with him again for installation or problems. SA needs some competition.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:38 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 684 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by RONGLOS
You have a great system. Only big problem is having to deal with Dave. Once was enough and I would not want to deal with him again for installation or problems. SA needs some competition.
Sounds like you won't be back there, but Doug is the guy to see if you ever do. If not, try out Handcrafted Car Audio in Chandler — Jon, the owner, is a great guy and his whole team does very detailed work.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:33 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like you won't be back there, but Doug is the guy to see if you ever do. If not, try out Handcrafted Car Audio in Chandler — Jon, the owner, is a great guy and his whole team does very detailed work.
I really appreciate that. Being negative is easy to be but I did spend some time at SA. I had a much better experience next door at Cactus Tint.

Quick Reply: New Radar/Laser System Installed