Sponsored by:

New Radar/Laser System Installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 04:48 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,182 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Soooooo....I never really got the point of these. I mean if the laser is already pointing at you then isn't it too late already?

I had one of the dash mounted ones for a while but it used to go off all the time and I was constantly tensed up either waiting for something to happen or looking for whatever made it go off.

I gave up with it and enjoyed driving a whole lot more.

My 2c...........
Laser versus radar detector, yes.

Laser versus laser jammer, no.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:48 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
The laser receiver is also a jammer that activates as soon as the car gets a hit.
Ah ok, makes a bit more sense. But if I am right it's illegal in some states.....
Old 04-17-2016, 04:53 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 684 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Ah ok, makes a bit more sense. But if I am right it's illegal in some states.....
From what i recall there are about 20 states that have laws against laser jamming. Most of the time a "fix-it" ticket for that is a lot better than a moving violation with points against your license.

Also, they have to prove that you're running jammers, and if you use them properly(turn jamming off after slowing to the speed limit) they will likely never know.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:58 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Also, they have to prove that you're running jammers, and if you use them properly(turn jamming off after slowing to the speed limit) they will likely never know.
With the Stinger you can program the Shield (jamming) to shut down from 2 to 9 seconds. I have mine set to turn off after 4 seconds.

Now I need to test it.

What Laser Gun can I buy on E Bay? With out spending a fortune.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:10 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

I'm surprised at the display/control location, would have looked a lot better in the ash-tray.
I had considered the ash-tray mount location and although you can make it fit does not look so great in there and you lose some junctions.

See how the installer (sloppily) made those half moon cut on the trim. That is to access the "S" menu button and on the left there is a blank button. The display face has 5 blank buttons. 4 of those are lost with the ash-tray installation.

I think the display is perfect where it is. It is easy to see, easy to reach. The menu, mute function and volume are a piece of cake.
Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2016, 05:13 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by arlan in arizona
I had considered the ash-tray mount location and although you can make it fit does not look so great in there and you lose some junctions.

See how the installer (sloppily) made those half moon cut on the trim. That is to access the "S" menu button and on the left there is a blank button. The display face has 5 blank buttons. 4 of those are lost with the ash-tray installation.

I think the display is perfect where it is. It is easy to see, easy to reach. The menu, mute function and volume are a piece of cake.
Maybe my eyes are seeing something different, but don't see how that looks bad or sloppily integrated — looks like exactly what I would do with that system.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:16 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Maybe my eyes are seeing something different, but don't see how that looks bad or sloppily integrated — looks like exactly what I would do with that system.
OK. Maybe not sloppy but if you look at the moon shape cut on the left side. The inner and the outer sections of the cut do not match. Maybe it is just me.

Also, 4 of the blank buttons are not accessible.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:22 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

OK. Maybe not sloppy but if you look at the moon shape cut on the left side. The inner and the outer sections of the cut do not match. Maybe it is just me.

Also, 4 of the blank buttons are not accessible.
I think it only looks that way because of the camera angle and the fact that the two are at different heights.

The covering of the 4/5 blank buttons I can understand. I don't have a lot of hands-on with the Stinger system — what are the blank buttons used for?
Old 04-17-2016, 05:39 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

1. I think it only looks that way because of the camera angle and the fact that the two are at different heights.

2. The covering of the 4/5 blank buttons I can understand. I don't have a lot of hands-on with the Stinger system — what are the blank buttons used for?
1. You may be correct about the camera angle. I had considered that.

2. The functions of the 5 blank buttons are.

Top right=volume up
Lower right= volume down
Upper left=return to pilot screen from anywhere within the menu.
Lower left= a K and Ka band graph.

Center left is the one accessible in with the ash-tray install. Turns K band on and off. K band comes back on with reboot of system unless you have it disable from within the menu.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:43 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Hey Nick,

While I have you attention here. What is decent LIDAR Gun to pick up on ebay.

My thoughts on this are that installers should have one. I don't know if you do or not and perhaps my logic is flawed, but testing of these devices would be near the top of my priority list if I was in that business.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:59 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey Nick,

While I have you attention here. What is decent LIDAR Gun to pick up on ebay.

My thoughts on this are that installers should have one. I don't know if you do or not and perhaps my logic is flawed, but testing of these devices would be near the top of my priority list if I was in that business.
You don't need a gun unless you want to spend several thousand dollars testing effectiveness — I would leave that to the manufacturers and organizations like RALETC. For an installation facility or a consumer, all you need is a low power tester.

Here's one that we use all the time:
Laser tester Laser tester
Old 04-17-2016, 06:53 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Agree - this is a nice clean integrated install. I think it looks awesome.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:57 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

You don't need a gun unless you want to spend several thousand dollars testing effectiveness — I would leave that to the manufacturers and organizations like RALETC. For an installation facility or a consumer, all you need is a low power tester.

Here's one that we use all the time: Laser tester
Nick, wouldn't this only test that the jammers work? It would not test if the jammers are effective (ie, they may work fine, but not effective out on the road versus off axis hits or from a cop shooting from a bridge). For that he needs to test it in real world environment, out on the road.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:13 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Nick, wouldn't this only test that the jammers work? It would not test if the jammers are effective (ie, they may work fine, but not effective out on the road versus off axis hits or from a cop shooting from a bridge). For that he needs to test it in real world environment, out on the road.
Correct - The only way to "truly" test effectiveness is with a real laser gun. We're a bit at the mercy of the radicals and testing organizations for that. RALETC does most of the effectiveness testing of new LIDAR jamming technology.

The technician/integrators job is to make sure the system functions properly and the sensors/jammers are positioned correctly, everything else is on the product manufacturer IMO.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:13 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Now.....

...........This is an install issue with me. I am taking pictures right now. I will be back on forum for thoughts on this in a while. I will be going back to Signature Audio now to move at least (2) of my LIDAR receivers. The two in the back are both my and Signature Audios mistakes.

Later

Quick Reply: New Radar/Laser System Installed