991.2 test drive again

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 08:40 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 991.2 test drive again

Folks,
I did go back and drove 991.2 s and it was fabulous in terms of grip, shift speed and shift firmness

Car does have some body roll in bends , I think pdcc should eliminate body roll , correct assumption ?

The c4s I drove the other day thinking c2s was not as nimble imo

Few q's I have to folks who are more knowledgeable than I am

1) will pse equipped 991.2 Carerra and S sound the same ?
2) is rear wheel steer perciptable on daily driving ?
3) pdcc worth it to eliminate roll , of course to get rws and pdcc, one has to jump to S, not sure why it is not an option on carerra
Old 04-09-2016, 08:52 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by casaforte9
Folks,
I did go back and drove 991.2 s and it was fabulous in terms of grip, shift speed and shift firmness

Car does have some body roll in bends , I think pdcc should eliminate body roll , correct assumption ?

The c4s I drove the other day thinking c2s was not as nimble imo

Few q's I have to folks who are more knowledgeable than I am

1) will pse equipped 991.2 Carerra and S sound the same ?
2) is rear wheel steer perciptable on daily driving ?
3) pdcc worth it to eliminate roll , of course to get rws and pdcc, one has to jump to S, not sure why it is not an option on carerra

I can answer 2 and 3. Unless you are tracking your car, you will not notice any of these at all. NADA. On normal roads, you are only tapping in to about 15% of your Porsche's capability. These cars a awesome. You can't even begin to reach their limits until you get on a race track and let go of your fear.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I can answer 2 and 3. Unless you are tracking your car, you will not notice any of these at all. NADA. On normal roads, you are only tapping in to about 15% of your Porsche's capability. These cars a awesome. You can't even begin to reach their limits until you get on a race track and let go of your fear.
You've obviously never driven a car with PDCC. It's very noticeable. Some don't like it, but everybody notices it. And from what I hear, it's the same with RWS. Given torque vectoring on the rear is noticeable, I'm guessing RWS will be as well.

OP, PDCC is very noticeable and keeps the car dead flat when cornering. That said, some people find that odd and find SPASM enough. I have a SPASM/PDCC Carrera S and I love it, but it does feel a little odd compared to a non-PDCC car. Takes some getting used to, but it is awesome.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:39 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
You've obviously never driven a car with PDCC. It's very noticeable. Some don't like it, but everybody notices it. And from what I hear, it's the same with RWS. Given torque vectoring on the rear is noticeable, I'm guessing RWS will be as well.

OP, PDCC is very noticeable and keeps the car dead flat when cornering. That said, some people find that odd and find SPASM enough. I have a SPASM/PDCC Carrera S and I love it, but it does feel a little odd compared to a non-PDCC car. Takes some getting used to, but it is awesome.

You are mistaken. I have and I stand by my statement. You can't push these cars hard enough on public roads to notice the difference unless you are seriously breaking the law. On the track then yes. If the OP is tracking the car and wants the extra performance then go for it.

PTV, PDCC, 4WS, PASM SS is really unnoticeable while pushing cars on public roads.

99% of 911 owners don't track their cars.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:49 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,052 Posts

PTV, PDCC, 4WS, PASM SS is really unnoticeable while pushing cars on public roads.
You are mistaken.

In every-day driving PDCC decouples (somewhat) the anti-roll bars. This results in a more-compliant ride on crappy pavement. It's a slight but noticeable difference.

RWS results in a smaller turning circle. This is also noticeable.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:09 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

My goal is to get the pdcc for flat cornering as I think non pdcc cabs have some body roll

I must say the 991.2 ride quality on 20" wheels is superb

I am still debating first if I need the S over the carerra and then if it the S then gonna get pdcc, I am leaning toward the s
Old 04-09-2016, 11:24 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

PDCC is wonderful for a street driven car. The four hydraulic actuators at the end of each anti-roll bar monitor that particular wheel and tighten or relax to maintain proper camber to keep the entire tread flat on the pavement. It was originally developed for the Cayenne for off-roading tire grip. When driving straight down a flat road the PDCC relaxes the anti-roll bars giving a much smoother ride than can be achieved with even the standard anti-roll bars and much smoother that the heavier anti-roll bars used with PASM and ever stiffer anti-roll bars used with PASM Sport.
An added benefit it even tire wear. I have 15,000 miles on my 2015 C2S with PDCC and the tread wear is exactly even side to side on both the front and rear tires.
The PDCC gives you dead flat cornering on twisting roads without ever going on a track, yet provides a smoother ride on highway travel. Best of both worlds.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:42 AM
strumbringer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know about PDCC (never tried it), but RWS is very noticeable. Makes the car feel nimbler, reduces the turning radius. One of the reasons I went with the TT over the C4S (was only available on TT and GT3 at the time).
Old 04-10-2016, 01:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

This is without a doubt the most inaccurate statement I've ever read on RL.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:50 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
This is without a doubt the most inaccurate statement I've ever read on RL.
I will look past the sanctimonious insult provided you tell me.....how does that Porsche kool-aide taste? (my comment is in good humor)

These nannies might give a few seconds of improvement on a lap time at the ring but most 911 guys are not tracking their cars. I would LOVE to give the average 911 driver a car with and without PTV and ask him/her to tell me the difference. Same with PASM, PDCC, 4WS etc. I would put money down on it.

An experienced track driver, ok...yes.

The LSD on the PTV...well that can be useful to a daily driver guy.

Last edited by subshooter; 04-10-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:06 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,052 Posts

... the average 911 driver a car with and without PTV and ask him/her to tell me the difference. Same with PASM, PDCC, 4WS etc.
PTV on the street, maybe, outside of contrived circumstances, I'll give you.

Anyone without a numb butt on non-smooth roads can tell the difference between non-PDCC and PDCC.

And RWS, only if you have turn around. If all you do is drive straight or turn a simple corner then no.

Maybe the average 911 driver has a numb butt and doesn't do twisties except for turning into their driveway. But, the average 911 driver probably doesn't read this forum.

If all you intend to do is cruise around a bit on weekends then yes, none of these will matter.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:40 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928
PTV on the street, maybe, outside of contrived circumstances, I'll give you.

Anyone without a numb butt on non-smooth roads can tell the difference between non-PDCC and PDCC.

And RWS, only if you have turn around. If all you do is drive straight or turn a simple corner then no.

Maybe the average 911 driver has a numb butt and doesn't do twisties except for turning into their driveway. But, the average 911 driver probably doesn't read this forum.

If all you intend to do is cruise around a bit on weekends then yes, none of these will matter .

I get all that but I was answering the OPs question. He clearly stated that he is using the car as a daily driver not as a track toy. The nannies will be a waste of money unless he just wanted bragging rights.

If he had asked what Porsche options should he get for the track, then my answer would have been to ditch the Carrera alltogether. A GT3 if he wanted to win and GT4 if he wanted to win with a smile.

The PDCC advantage on 13 miles of the ring would only be a couple of seconds at most in the hands of a good driver on a 7:30 sec lap time. ...and if he is going to use PDCC for street driving....nope wont notice it. If he wants to go faster around turns, the best money is spent on a driving school for the driver....not the equipment.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:10 PM
robbie9999
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just opened this new link give it a gander the car is incredible

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9284...formation.html
Old 04-10-2016, 07:33 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

Back to the OPs questions:

RWS - you can definitely feel it on the street in multiple situations, from mundane car parks and u turns to quick roundabouts and curvy roads. It makes a definite difference.

PDCC - For me, its one of the options that kills some of the essence of a 911. You want a 911 to move around a bit, to lean a bit in corners, etc....it's how you "feel" the car. PDCC cars just take this feel away.

PSE - Carrera and Carreras S cars equipped with PSE sound pretty much the same.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:46 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Back to the OPs questions:

RWS - you can definitely feel it on the street in multiple situations, from mundane car parks and u turns to quick roundabouts and curvy roads. It makes a definite difference.

PDCC - For me, its one of the options that kills some of the essence of a 911. You want a 911 to move around a bit, to lean a bit in corners, etc....it's how you "feel" the car. PDCC cars just take this feel away.

PSE - Carrera and Carreras S cars equipped with PSE sound pretty much the same.
^
Truth
Add SPASM and its perfect.

Quick Reply: 991.2 test drive again