Sponsored by:

Porsche Battery Charger

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 12:42 PM
CChung
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
OP - i refer you to the following thread - i document how i resolved the issue you are experiencing on my newly delivered gt4

----->>> https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9272...a-lighter.html

please read all the posts, esp. pages 3-4
Thanks for the link! So on page 3 you were told by a tech that late in the model year Porsche changed the battery sensory that detects a positive current going to the battery and allows the socket to stay on. And it senses some battery chargers and not others, in particular its own brand battery charger. And getting a different charger should allow me to charge the car continuously. I still would like to use my Porsche charger if at all possible. Does anyone know of a connector with eyelets that connects permanently to the battery and has a plug designed to be used with chargers that connects to the 12V sockets inside the car? Thanks!
Old 07-15-2016, 01:54 PM
maverick1715
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CChung
Thanks for the link! So on page 3 you were told by a tech that late in the model year Porsche changed the battery sensory that detects a positive current going to the battery and allows the socket to stay on. And it senses some battery chargers and not others, in particular its own brand battery charger. And getting a different charger should allow me to charge the car continuously. I still would like to use my Porsche charger if at all possible. Does anyone know of a connector with eyelets that connects permanently to the battery and has a plug designed to be used with chargers that connects to the 12V sockets inside the car? Thanks!
I have a 2016 Carrera GTS and I'm experiencing the exact same problem. I have the exact same charger as you do and the stand by light is flashing green. If I open the door it starts charging again. However, the first day I drove the car out of the dealership's lot and arrived home, I was setting up the PCM with the engine off for quite a while, maybe for about 45'. After I was done and plugged the charger in the car's 12V socket, 2 hours later the light went green and stayed green until I drove the car again which was 3 days later. After I drove the car and plugged it back on the charger, the stand by green light started flashing again (10' later). I also spoke with my dealership about the problem, I even got another charger from them, the problem was exactly the same. Dealership told me that the new Porsches with the AMG batteries, activate the sockets when the Voltage drops, instead having the sockets activated all the time. This is the why the stand by light is flashing green after 30'. I assume if you let the battery voltage drop significantly, and then you plug it in, your charger should stay ON with Orange at first, and steady Green when charge is complete until you open the door. If you open the door, it will go orange, and 10' later green light will start flashing again (because the battery was already charged). It's worth to note, I spent over 3 weeks of online research as well as I personally tried to find the reason of this happening, I tried to plug the adapter on the other sockets, however no matter what I tried I was still getting the same result. Same thing doesn't happen on my 2012 Cayenne Turbo, neither on my 2006 Cayman S. Last but not least, the older Porsche charger does NOT work on the new 2016 Porsches. And please guys, with all the respect, stop the BS about how better is to use cheap after market parts and accessories. If you buy a $140k car, spend the extra $ to buy genuine parts and accessories. We are not more experts than Porsche is. Please don't go nuts with my last comment.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:52 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Mine has looked like the pic for over three weeks now.

I too used to have constant problems trying to get a good connection in the center console outlet, but since I started using the footwell outlet all is good.

DaveGee
I have a '16 GTS with this same charger. I use the cig lighter console plug. No issues so far. Fingers crossed.
J
Old 01-01-2017, 03:31 PM
thorbaron
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just purchased the Tequipment (Porsche) Battery Tender for my 2016 911 Turbo.
Connected through the cigarette lighter. This is the problem I'm having: when the
battery is fujlly charged (maintenance mode) and the light is green---the red charging
light is blinking at the same time. I have seen other forums with owners questioning this
as well; however, no one has identified the issue. The connection is tight, btw.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:23 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CChung
I just got the factory battery charger for my GTS that connects to the cigarette lighter. After half an hour apparently the power to the cigarette lighter turns off so the charger won't be charging the battery and I get the blinking power light. Is this normal or is there something I can do about this? I feel it's unacceptable that I have to turn the ignition on every half hour to get the battery charger to work. Thanks for any replies.
My 991.2 C4 just arrived a week ago and as soon as I got it home I plugged my CTek trickle charger in and it has worked fine. It's plugged into the 12v outlet in the passenger foot well.
Old 10-20-2023, 12:01 PM
Duct Tape
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I realize this is an old thread, but it is one of the first ones to appear when I searched on RL for my 997.2. I’ve pasted info from Suncoast below regarding some updates about compatibility for the Porsche brand charger which replaced the #955 044 900 54

Hope this helps others with similar problem to the OP.
Vehicle Specific Notes (updated):
  • 981, 991, & 718 - For 2013-2024 Boxster or Cayman, & 2013-2019 911 Carrera models: Long term storage can put these cars in "Sleep Mode", which will disable the center console plug socket and shut off the battery maintainer. To bypass this, lock the door after setting up the battery maintainer. Or directly connect the battery maintainer to the recommended charging points using the optional alligator clips.
  • Macan - "**" Macan models can't be charged at the 12 volt plugs inside the car. To bypass this, visit your local Porsche dealer and they can code your Macan to accept a battery maintainer. Or purchase the additional battery clamps and charge the battery directly.
  • Panamera - For 2017 or newer Panamera models, you must purchase the additional maintainer clamps and charge and the battery directly.
  • Cayenne - For 2017 or newer Cayenne models, you must purchase the additional maintainer clamps and charge and the battery directly for models without a cigarette lighter.
  • 992 - For 2020 or newer 911 models, you must purchase the additional maintainer clamps and charge at the battery directly.
  • E-Hybrid Models - This is NOT compatible with Porsche electric or hybrid models.
Old 10-24-2023, 09:04 PM
Duct Tape
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry, error

Quick Reply: Porsche Battery Charger