991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Battery Charger

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016 | 01:20 AM
CChung
Advanced

Here's a pic of my charger. The top lights indicate it's charging and my battery is halfway charged. When power to the 12v sockets gets interrupted after 30 minutes the ignition is turned on, the light goes blank and the power light(green) starts blinking. So now my battery is being charged. My footwell socket definitely turns off after 30 minutes.
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2016 | 07:14 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CChung
Here's a pic of my charger. The top lights indicate it's charging and my battery is halfway charged. When power to the 12v sockets gets interrupted after 30 minutes the ignition is turned on, the light goes blank and the power light(green) starts blinking. So now my battery is being charged. My footwell socket definitely turns off after 30 minutes.
So you are saying that after 30 minutes the top battery indicator lights go out and the blinking green changing light goes on. What is the reference to "turning the ignition on". If you turn the ignition on you will get a "charging" indication. I'm sorry I'm still confused why you think your car is not getting a charge after the 30 minute time frame. I would like to help but don't understand clearly.
Have you asked your dealer about this issue? Many here use the footwell outlet for charging for months at a time.
Old 04-12-2016 | 07:36 AM
todd92
Racer

Chargers

$122 for the Porsche charger.

$62 for the identical CTEK charger, which comes with the pigtail and battery cables.

Rennlist...
Old 04-12-2016 | 10:35 AM
n8kruger
Racer

Home Depot had Black and Decker charger/maintainers for $19.98 this weekend
Old 04-12-2016 | 11:35 AM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

I've had a lot of problems with CTEK chargers on my Ferraris and Porsches. A long story that I won't go into. But the CTEK chargers would work for about 6 months on the Ferraris and then eventually fail. CTEK quickly failed on my GT3 and wife's Spyder. Spoke with my dealer and they use the Porsche charger (see pict) for their shop and showroom. I have not had a problem with this charger on our 991.
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2016 | 11:59 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n2cars
I've had a lot of problems with CTEK chargers on my Ferraris and Porsches. A long story that I won't go into. But the CTEK chargers would work for about 6 months on the Ferraris and then eventually fail. CTEK quickly failed on my GT3 and wife's Spyder. Spoke with my dealer and they use the Porsche charger (see pict) for their shop and showroom. I have not had a problem with this charger on our 991.
i have this old antique for twenty years since i bought my first 993 brand new

it worked well most of the time... then a few years back i think the voltage sensor went bad and it fried (overcharged) a battery in my cayman

tossed it after that, bought a noco
Old 04-12-2016 | 12:26 PM
Roosell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n8kruger
Home Depot had Black and Decker charger/maintainers for $19.98 this weekend
Would you plug a $20 charger into your 911?
Old 04-12-2016 | 12:40 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Roosell
Home Depot had Black and Decker charger/maintainers for $19.98 this weekend...

Would you plug a $20 charger into your 911?
yes, i have several b&d's now, and they work just fine and have all the attachments for flexible connectivity on different cars

but if a $200 charger lets you sleep better at night, then go for it! must be 10x better, right? hahaha
Old 04-12-2016 | 01:10 PM
Roosell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
yes, i have several b&d's now, and they work just fine and have all the attachments for flexible connectivity on different cars

but if a $200 charger lets you sleep better at night, then go for it! must be 10x better, right? hahaha

Actually, it does help me sleep better. I clearly have different life experiences than you.

While I'm at it, I suggest you don't buy/use the $5 cell phone chargers you may see at a gas station- the ones right beside the blunt tubes and incense. Maybe you are lucky or I am unlucky. Either way, I commend you on your frugality. Clearly it makes you feel good, kind of like pricey chargers does it for me.

For those of us who are not blessed with much luck, I still recommend not plugging in the cheapest thing you can find into your electrical system - be it a Pcar or Toyota. I personally wrote a sizable check to repair a 986 after hooking up a cheapo charger, then two cell phones later (one of which was a Google 1, less than a month after the release) I finally stopped spending dollars so I could save pennies.

YMMV.
Old 04-12-2016 | 06:21 PM
CChung
Advanced

Originally Posted by Penn4S
So you are saying that after 30 minutes the top battery indicator lights go out and the blinking green changing light goes on. What is the reference to "turning the ignition on". If you turn the ignition on you will get a "charging" indication. I'm sorry I'm still confused why you think your car is not getting a charge after the 30 minute time frame. I would like to help but don't understand clearly.
Have you asked your dealer about this issue? Many here use the footwell outlet for charging for months at a time.

Okay, thanks for offering to help and sorry if I wasn't clear. When I want to connect my charger I first have to turn the ignition on without needing to start the engine. Then I turn the ignition off and remove the keys. Now there's power going to the all the sockets. Before I turned the ignition on there was no power. I know because I hooked my tire inflator into the cigarette lighter and there was no power. After I turned the ignition on there was power. Then I connect the charger in and the charging light goes on from the top showing that's it's charging. But after 30 minutes the charging light goes out and I have the blinking power light. I then have to repeat the process of disconnecting the power to the charger, turning the ignition on/off, and reconnecting power to the charger. I do not have to disconnect the charger from the car, just the power to the wall outlet. I hope this makes what I'm experiencing clear.

Now, I just got an email from my dealer's parts department which was very technical. I called and spoke to him and he said if your battery is charged the sockets will turn off after 30 minutes. But if the battery is drained the outlets will remain on if it's sensing a charge. Now I don't know whether this is true or not. If it is a fact, then my battery is charged and is turning off after 30 minutes. Sorry for the confusion!
Old 04-12-2016 | 06:28 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

what does you mfd say your battery voltage is ?

Last edited by Porsche_nuts; 04-12-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-12-2016 | 06:28 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Okay, thanks for offering to help and sorry if I wasn't clear. When I want to connect my charger I first have to turn the ignition on without needing to start the engine. Then I turn the ignition off and remove the keys. Now there's power going to the all the sockets. Before I turned the ignition on there was no power. I know because I hooked my tire inflator into the cigarette lighter and there was no power. After I turned the ignition on there was power.
In my 2014, my outlets have juice the second I open a door. I have a USB adapter in my cig lighter, and it has a light that eliminates when power is going to it. 30 minutes after the car is turned off, that light goes out. But, the second I open a door, the light comes back on. No need for me to turn on the ignition.

Yours is clearly working differently.
Old 04-12-2016 | 06:57 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by Roosell
Actually, it does help me sleep better. I clearly have different life experiences than you.

While I'm at it, I suggest you don't buy/use the $5 cell phone chargers you may see at a gas station- the ones right beside the blunt tubes and incense. Maybe you are lucky or I am unlucky. Either way, I commend you on your frugality. Clearly it makes you feel good, kind of like pricey chargers does it for me.

For those of us who are not blessed with much luck, I still recommend not plugging in the cheapest thing you can find into your electrical system - be it a Pcar or Toyota. I personally wrote a sizable check to repair a 986 after hooking up a cheapo charger, then two cell phones later (one of which was a Google 1, less than a month after the release) I finally stopped spending dollars so I could save pennies.

YMMV.
You're charger is obviously not working. Back feeding the outlet allows it to function for charging. Get a cheapo charger if you don't want to spend for a Porsche aproved one. If a working charger still doesn't function than something else in the programing is at fault. Either way you still have to try a new unit to verify before adimitly pursuing the dealer for a fix.
Old 04-12-2016 | 07:30 PM
CChung
Advanced

Originally Posted by Aspir8
In my 2014, my outlets have juice the second I open a door. I have a USB adapter in my cig lighter, and it has a light that eliminates when power is going to it. 30 minutes after the car is turned off, that light goes out. But, the second I open a door, the light comes back on. No need for me to turn on the ignition.

Yours is clearly working differently.
My car is working the same as yours. If I open the doors power comes
back on but stays on for only a few minutes. You hear some sort of click and power goes off. If you turn the ignition on, power to the socket stays on for 30 minutes then turns off.
Old 04-12-2016 | 08:48 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

OP - i refer you to the following thread - i document how i resolved the issue you are experiencing on my newly delivered gt4

----->>> https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9272...a-lighter.html

please read all the posts, esp. pages 3-4

Quick Reply: Porsche Battery Charger