Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Battery Charger

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016 | 11:56 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I think you are correct. My manual for my 2015 GTS says power supply to the 12V sockets will terminate, IF something is connected that is USING power. I have used my Porsche branded (we know it is a CTEK 3300) battery maintainer for the 15 months I have owned my GTS and never had any issues when connected to either the cigarette lighter socket, or the footwell socket. The only time I got a flashing light was when I failed to have the plug fully seated into the socket. I sometimes have left mine connected for several weeks.

I guess it is possible that Porsche changed this on the 2016 991 for some reason, but doesn't really make sense why they would change that on the last year of 991.1 production.
I don't see why the 2016 would be any different. I believe my charger is a Diehard purchased from Sears but that Ctek is more fitting for a Porsche with sofistiated software to extend the battery life.
Old 04-09-2016 | 09:01 AM
trucheli
Pro

When a battery tender is recommended? I live in Miami, FL but I only drive my car every other week or on weekends.
Old 04-09-2016 | 11:12 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

From Porsche need to know. "The sockets and thus the connected electrical accessories function even if the ignition is switched off or the ignition key is removed. If the engine is not running and the accessories are switched on, the vehicle battery will be discharged. The power supply is interrupted after 30 minutes to protect the vehicle battery. If the load is to be switched on again, the ignition must be switched on once."

I do believe this does not pertain to running a trickle charger in this socket more so running some accessory that is draining power not providing power. I connect my Ctek in the footwell socket and my car sits for 3-4 months without issue.

Last edited by Penn4S; 04-09-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-10-2016 | 05:38 PM
CChung
Advanced

Originally Posted by Penn4S
From Porsche need to know. "The sockets and thus the connected electrical accessories function even if the ignition is switched off or the ignition key is removed. If the engine is not running and the accessories are switched on, the vehicle battery will be discharged. The power supply is interrupted after 30 minutes to protect the vehicle battery. If the load is to be switched on again, the ignition must be switched on once."

I do believe this does not pertain to running a trickle charger in this socket more so running some accessory that is draining power not providing power. I connect my Ctek in the footwell socket and my car sits for 3-4 months without issue.
This is certainly not the case for me as it's shutting off power to all my sockets after 30 minutes with my trickle charger connected. I'm ordering the Porsche part to connect my charger directly to the battery. I can't believe they would change this just for 2016 as my manual says the exact thing as does my friend's 2016 Spyder.
Old 04-10-2016 | 05:55 PM
JohnTz
Intermediate

I have a ctek that I plug into the socket for a week at a time and no problem. I even leave it connected in there under the cover and plug in the power to the charger once a week out of every month during the winter. Never had the socket turn off.
Old 04-10-2016 | 05:55 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by CChung
This is certainly not the case for me as it's shutting off power to all my sockets after 30 minutes with my trickle charger connected. I'm ordering the Porsche part to connect my charger directly to the battery. I can't believe they would change this just for 2016 as my manual says the exact thing as does my friend's 2016 Spyder.
For whatever it's worth, Suncoast Porsche Parts says that the Porsche battery maintainer works on all Carreras from 1999. There is a footnote stating that it won't work on a Macan through the 12V sockets, but the Macan can be coded to work with the 12V sockets. I also have a friend with a 2016 991 and he told me that his CTEK 3300 (same as the Porsche branded one) works fine on his car using the cigarette lighter, or socket in footwell. Here is the link to Suncoast.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/95504490054.html
Old 04-10-2016 | 07:54 PM
CChung
Advanced

It seems people aren't having problems with their CTEK charger. I have the Porsche Charge-O- Mat Pro(5A) charger which I know is made by CTEK also. I wish we can switch chargers and see if we get the same results. All I know, the car is doing what it supposed to do according to the owner's manual and the charger is doing what it supposed to do when there is a power interruption.
Old 04-10-2016 | 09:08 PM
Loud223
Instructor

I had the same problem with my 16 GTS. The only plug that stays live after the other plugs shut down is the one in the footwell. I use the charger pictured but I also have a ctek 7002 that works using the footwell plug.
Old 04-11-2016 | 01:12 AM
CChung
Advanced

I don't know why my 2016 GTS should be any different but just tried the footwell plug again and indeed it shuts off after 30 minutes like the other plugs. Did your Porsche charger work continuously using the footwell socket?
Old 04-11-2016 | 08:05 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

I don't know why my 2016 GTS should be any different but just tried the footwell plug again and indeed it shuts off after 30 minutes like the other plugs. Did your Porsche charger work continuously using the footwell socket?
Have you checked that the charger is putting out the stated 12 volt? Maybe the charger is at fault.
Old 04-11-2016 | 08:39 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

This may be a stupid question but how do you know it is affecting the charging? The Ctek charger has a green light that indicates it is on and changing and is plugged into an outlet. How do you know the car is not charging? Is your battery draining when you try to start the car?
Old 04-11-2016 | 10:17 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

And you have nothing drawing power in any of the other outlets right? Just thinking perhaps if one outlet is drawing, it cuts power to all outlets. No cig lighter stuck in down position, or USB adapter plugged into another outlet, etc., right??
Old 04-11-2016 | 12:47 PM
CChung
Advanced

No other outlets are being used for sure. And you can tell it's charging by the four lights on top of the charger each indicating the state of the battery on how much it's charged.
Old 04-11-2016 | 08:18 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Mine has looked like the pic for over three weeks now.

I too used to have constant problems trying to get a good connection in the center console outlet, but since I started using the footwell outlet all is good.

DaveGee
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2016 | 12:21 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

No other outlets are being used for sure. And you can tell it's charging by the four lights on top of the charger each indicating the state of the battery on how much it's charged.
So you are saying that you plug into the footwell plug and with no other accessories on your outlet goes dead and doesn't accept a charge. And you are sure it is not charging, you can see decreased voltage from your battery or the car won't start?

I've had a dozen of these cars and I've lived in the northeast most of my life, including several years in Maine where my car was plugged in for as long as 6 months without issue. I have had my 991 for 3 years in Pa. where it gets plugged in to the charger in November and unplugged end of March, never a problem.

If you are not charging via the footwell you will have to go direct to the battery, strange.

Quick Reply: Porsche Battery Charger