Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Battery Charger

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 02:10 PM
CChung
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can't believe it seems I'm the only one having this problem with their factory battery charger. Can you guys look in your owner's manual and see if there's any mention of a power interruption to the sockets after 30 minutes to protect the battery. It's under "socket(12V)" in the index to find the page #. If this is normal, I can't believe Porsche isn't aware of this and doesn't issue any notice about this to those who purchased their factory battery charger.

Thanks for all your suggestions but locking the door, making sure it's plugged in all the way, using the footwell socket all produced the same results. My charger looks identical except I have four charging lights on top.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:08 PM
Brian E
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

CChung.

FWIW. When I bought my 2016 GTS back in February the dealer told me to use a battery tender since I wouldn't be driving it until the weather cleared. They also made a point of telling me that the pigtail for the battery tender had to be connected directly to the battery. They said none of the sockets could be used for a battery tender. The dealer was so adamant about it that they even installed a pigtail for me. I took the advice of another Rennlister and brought the pigtail up through the vent in the plastic cover. It's a breeze to connect to the tender now. See pictures below.

If you read the 2016 owners manual, on page 207 it has a section titled "Using charging adapter for 12 volt socket/cigarette lighter" To me that implies a battery tender can be used in these sockets. They even have a diagram showing the style of adapter suitable for the sockets.

I doubt the above clears up any confusion, but if I was you I would just connect the pigtail directly to the battery and be done with it.

The following users liked this post:
regajohn (10-21-2023)
Old 04-08-2016, 03:37 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,121 Likes on 670 Posts

There is probably something wrong with the charger. Sockets do shut off after 30 minutes, but that should not affect the trickler as the 30 minute time-out is supposed to prevent battery drain and not battery charging. Maybe you have a blown fuse in the charger? Did you check that. Or, you can try what Brian E suggests and see if that works. It that doesn't work then definitely something wrong with the charger.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:40 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I own a 2015 911 GTS and used a plug-in type battery maintainer that I simply connected to the foot well 12 volt outlet. Worked all winter long. I was reluctant because I have a plug-in radar detector in the same outlet and it shuts down about three minutes after the key is removed and with the alarm and doorlocks activated. Apparently porsche engineered the outlet to shut down if there is draw and to remain engaged otherwise. Amazing what one can do with a couple of diods. I'm sure that engineer is having a good laugh right now.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:05 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 81 Posts

Brian E --- When you plug in your charger, does the frunk have to stay open, or can you run the cord up by the windshield wipers with the hood closed?

Thx
Old 04-08-2016, 06:34 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I own a 2015 911 GTS and used a plug-in type battery maintainer that I simply connected to the foot well 12 volt outlet. Worked all winter long. I was reluctant because I have a plug-in radar detector in the same outlet and it shuts down about three minutes after the key is removed and with the alarm and doorlocks activated. Apparently porsche engineered the outlet to shut down if there is draw and to remain engaged otherwise. Amazing what one can do with a couple of diods. I'm sure that engineer is having a good laugh right now.
I think you are correct. My manual for my 2015 GTS says power supply to the 12V sockets will terminate, IF something is connected that is USING power. I have used my Porsche branded (we know it is a CTEK 3300) battery maintainer for the 15 months I have owned my GTS and never had any issues when connected to either the cigarette lighter socket, or the footwell socket. The only time I got a flashing light was when I failed to have the plug fully seated into the socket. I sometimes have left mine connected for several weeks.

I guess it is possible that Porsche changed this on the 2016 991 for some reason, but doesn't really make sense why they would change that on the last year of 991.1 production.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:41 PM
Brian E
Instructor

Originally Posted by Norsk
Brian E --- When you plug in your charger, does the frunk have to stay open, or can you run the cord up by the windshield wipers with the hood closed?

Thx
You can close the frunk no problem. I run the cord up through the recess on the inside of the hood for the windshield washer nozzles.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:57 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you considered driving the car more? That usually keeps the battery more than charged. Otherwise you seem to be paying a lot of money to park something.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:16 PM
CChung
Advanced

Yes, the ultimate thing to do is to drive the car often as the best way to charge your car. But my battery charger is showing my battery is only a quarter charged. I just took delivery less than a month ago and I was the one whose car was stuck at the port for over a month. I imagine the battery was draining during that time. Thanks Brian E., it does clarify and confirm what I've been dealing with my battery charger. I believe Porsche makes an adapter that hooks directly to the battery so can I still use the battery charger I have. My friend who has a Spyder also said in the owner's manual it states there will be power interruption to the sockets after 30 minutes. I guess there were not enough complaints for Porsche to issue a notice, which I think they really should since the charger was intended to be used with any of the sockets in the car.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Brian E
Instructor

Originally Posted by CChung
Yes, the ultimate thing to do is to drive the car often as the best way to charge your car. But my battery charger is showing my battery is only a quarter charged. I just took delivery less than a month ago and I was the one whose car was stuck at the port for over a month. I imagine the battery was draining during that time. Thanks Brian E., it does clarify and confirm what I've been dealing with my battery charger. I believe Porsche makes an adapter that hooks directly to the battery so can I still use the battery charger I have. My friend who has a Spyder also said in the owner's manual it states there will be power interruption to the sockets after 30 minutes. I guess there were not enough complaints for Porsche to issue a notice, which I think they really should since the charger was intended to be used with any of the sockets in the car.
If you have a CTEK, this is what you need:

Last edited by Brian E; 04-08-2016 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Picture corrected.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:22 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
Have you considered driving the car more? That usually keeps the battery more than charged. Otherwise you seem to be paying a lot of money to park something.

Mine goes into storage around the last week of October, and I get it out (hopefully) in mid-March. In between, it sits in a heated garage with a battery tender and a nice soft Tequipment cover.

I've seen 911s being driven in the winter here, but it's not something I'd do. That would be extreme abuse.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:32 PM
CChung
Advanced

Originally Posted by Brian E

Won't I need something that connects to the two battery terminals with a connector to which the plug, that goes into any 12V socket on my battery charger, plugs into?
Old 04-08-2016, 08:47 PM
CChung
Advanced

What I probably need is what they have for sale on Porsches Tequipment website to hook their battery charger directly to the battery.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:55 PM
Brian E
Instructor

[QUOTE=Brian E;13181952]If you have a CTEK, this is what you need:

Edit. Sorry about that. I attached the wrong picture. Picture now corrected. Also note that the dealer told me that when they installed my pigtail, the nut for the negative battery cable doesn't come off the bolt and if you force it off it will strip the nut and bolt. They said they always have to clip the ring terminal so it can be installed on the bolt. Also, you don't have to go to the dealer to get this pigtail. It is readily available online.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:25 PM
CChung
Advanced

[QUOTE=Brian E;13182061]
Originally Posted by Brian E

Edit. Sorry about that. I attached the wrong picture. Picture now corrected. Also note that the dealer told me that when they installed my pigtail, the nut for the negative battery cable doesn't come off the bolt and if you force it off it will strip the nut and bolt. They said they always have to clip the ring terminal so it can be installed on the bolt. Also, you don't have to go to the dealer to get this pigtail. It is readily available online.

Thanks Brian E. I hope it's something I can install myself! I'll probably go to the Porsche dealer to order it since I have the part # already. I would have just got a CTEK battery tender on Amazon if I was just going to hook it up directly to the battery using a pigtail. No use getting the Porsche battery charger and would have saved $$$.

Quick Reply: Porsche Battery Charger