Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobb Tuning 991 Carrera S Dyno Results 991.2!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 04:20 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Amazing. How much boost did you use to develop this output?

Were there any internal engine changes?
Same boost level as we use in the OTS tune. Just more power due to the larger turbocharger.

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Old 06-11-2018, 04:33 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 448 Posts

Have you tested vehicles with the 7speed manual transmission?
Old 06-11-2018, 04:57 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Same boost level as we use in the OTS tune. Just more power due to the larger turbocharger.

-Mitch
Why aren't you guys sharing actual numbers/data instead of these generic vague replies?

On other platforms and forums there's almost an infinite amount of numbers and data shared but in the Porsche world everything is hush hush.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:18 PM
3DMetal
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
Why aren't you guys sharing actual numbers/data instead of these generic vague replies?

On other platforms and forums there's almost an infinite amount of numbers and data shared but in the Porsche world everything is hush hush.
They posted the dyno graph, and the boost pressure it ran at.

its 480 wtq, and 600 whp. If you went to the 560 wtq, and held to redline ( where the GTS peaks and falls from ) these turbochargers have much more potential in them with this platform.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:17 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 3DMetal
They posted the dyno graph, and the boost pressure it ran at.

its 480 wtq, and 600 whp. If you went to the 560 wtq, and held to redline ( where the GTS peaks and falls from ) these turbochargers have much more potential in them with this platform.
Perhaps I missed it or couldn't read it. What was that boost pressure?
Old 06-12-2018, 02:07 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 645 Posts

Cobb - straight and simple request - please post the AFR and boost profiles for these runs . This has been requested several times by forum members. If you can't provide these numbers please provide an explanation as to why you can't.

I would also suggest you verify your numbers on a quality dynometer e.g. Maha, which are known for their accuracy and reproducibility. I am sure there are several groups in Germany that would help you with this and ensure appropriate corrections are made - an area that has been problematical for Porsche turbo charged sports cars when assessing real gains and accurate baselines.

I have no doubt you have made good gains - however, the peak gain numbers you are quoting for the base, S and GTS are very optimistic. From your perspective, and I'm sure you are aware of this, there are more than a few forum members that are involved in, and have historically been involved, all sorts of race programs and as such are well informed. From my perspective I can't assess the quality of your offering without basic information such as AFR and boost profiles.

Last edited by groundhog; 06-12-2018 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:06 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by groundhog
Cobb - straight and simple request - please post the AFR and boost profiles for these runs . This has been requested several times by forum members. If you can't provide these numbers please provide an explanation as to why you can't.

I would also suggest you verify your numbers on a quality dynometer e.g. Maha, which are known for their accuracy and reproducibility. I am sure there are several groups in Germany that would help you with this and ensure appropriate corrections are made - an area that has been problematical for Porsche turbo charged sports cars when assessing real gains and accurate baselines.

I have no doubt you have made good gains - however, the peak gain numbers you are quoting for the base, S and GTS are very optimistic. From your perspective, and I'm sure you are aware of this, there are more than a few forum members that are involved in, and have historically been involved, all sorts of race programs and as such are well informed. From my perspective I can't assess the quality of your offering without basic information such as AFR and boost profiles.
I have tuned on Maha's before and saying that it is the end all be all of dyno's is simply biased. Ask any dyno shop owner, their dyno is the best. I will say I all dynos are different and they all have pluses and minuses.

As for lambda and boost numbers we are not hiding anything, that is why the AP has datalogging you can see the values for yourself. Regardless we target around 21psi for the Carreras and .82 lambda. In the 991.2/718 they are a lot more torque based in terms of boost control so really the boost target number is more influenced by the torque control system, so saying how much boost a car is running is more influenced by the torque control strategy and an change based on many factors and variables-- intake temp, coolant temp altitude etc.

In the 991.2 there are some other fun things that happen in that need to be taken into account when tuning as it is something new in Porsche control systems. If not done in tuning it could result in cars having running issues over time. The other problem is without being able to do custom logging you don't even know it is happening as it is a stored variable that is getting set over time and it has a huge effect on the ignition timing, boost and engine health.

I hope this helps some. If you have questions please keep them coming.

-Mitch
Old 06-12-2018, 12:16 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 456 Posts

IMHO there is to much hangup on WHP #'s which are going to vary between dyno types and correction factor. What matters is the safe gain over stock on same dyno with same correction factors.

Peter
Old 06-12-2018, 12:23 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here is a snap shot of a 991.2 Turbo that I grabbed quick. Dont want you guys going all conspiracy theory on us

We have lots of data. If you want a tech write up of the ecu and what we change we are happy to do so. We are very clear and are always happy to share data so just let us know.

Thanks guys!

-Mitch
Old 06-12-2018, 12:33 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Mitch
With there be any use to keeping our accessport equipment when moving from .1 to .2 Or would we need new hardware?
Old 06-12-2018, 01:13 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts

Here is a snap shot of a 991.2 Turbo that I grabbed quick. Dont want you guys going all conspiracy theory on us

We have lots of data. If you want a tech write up of the ecu and what we change we are happy to do so. We are very clear and are always happy to share data so just let us know.

Thanks guys!

-Mitch
could you show the same graph for a 991.2 carrera GTS?
Old 06-12-2018, 01:41 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by arter
could you show the same graph for a 991.2 carrera GTS?

Ask and you shall receive. GTS Targa 4 bone stock with a flash on 91 octane.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:02 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

So max boost about 22.4 psi on 91 octane for a GTS. okay, I can live with that.

My graph psi boost vs estimated crank hp (prior to seeing your data).
Old 06-12-2018, 09:15 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 645 Posts

The GTS without tune runs up to 22PSI on 93AKI. Although the modal value above 4000RPM is 18PSI - which is the number released by Porsche. Typically the boost in my GTS tapers from 6000/6500 rpm to 7500. In effect it looks like the tune would shift the modal value by 1 to 2 PSI in real world track driving so a real gain of around 50 to 60 HP at the crank (achieved by eating into the taper and with a modest increase in boost). So around 430 at the wheels.

I have tuned on Maha's before and saying that it is the end all be all of dyno's is simply biased.
No one said they are the be all and end all - however, they have a very strong reputation for accuracy and reproducibility - both of which are good to know and good to have. Some of us like meaningful numbers .

The good news for most is, with a tune they can skip the 992.1 series - perhaps someone got one up on Porsche for a change

PS . I am 100% sure that I read a technical article that stated the pistons in the base model were different to those in the S and GTS - this may have some implications for robustness.

Last edited by groundhog; 06-12-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:10 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
The GTS without tune runs up to 22PSI on 93AKI. Although the modal value above 4000RPM is 18PSI - which is the number released by Porsche. Typically the boost in my GTS tapers from 6000/6500 rpm to 7500. In effect it looks like the tune would shift the modal value by 1 to 2 PSI in real world track driving so a real gain of around 50 to 60 HP at the crank (achieved by eating into the taper and with a modest increase in boost). So around 430 at the wheels.
So using your MAHA derived loss factor ( 370/450) 430 RW turns into 523 HP at the crank.

Quick Reply: Cobb Tuning 991 Carrera S Dyno Results 991.2!!