Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobb Tuning 991 Carrera S Dyno Results 991.2!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 07:57 AM
Boba_kz
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
They're very close to a release but unfortunately you still have to remove your ECU. Not a direct plug and play yet.
(((
Old 06-08-2018, 04:51 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

Hey everyone! We are super excited to finally start talking about a release date for the 991.2 Carrera and Turbo/Turbo S. Next week we plan to share some information about how the process will work, as it is different from anything we've traditionally done. For now, let's talk about power gains! Below are a few charts to give you an idea of what type of power gains to expect with the 991.2 Carrera, Carrera S, and Carrera GTS. For a bit more information, head over to the COBB Blog.

991.2 Power Gains with Accessport Tuning

Once again, for more information head on over to the COBB Blog: https://www.cobbtuning.com/porsche-9...ssport-tuning/

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Old 06-08-2018, 05:18 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts

est 538 at the crank for a GTS.... nice. and with sport cats I assume more.....
Old 06-08-2018, 06:33 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

GTS master race.

Cobb.. Thank you for checking in and dropping this information. It feels like Christmas is coming.

AZ/Cali is stuck with crappy 91 octane. What do those number figures look like? Can we run a 95/91 octane mixture and utilize the 93 map? What about straight 95 octane, will it mess up a 93 map?

Will you be releasing more news such as stage 2/3 maps for cars with breather modifications?
Old 06-08-2018, 08:23 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 448 Posts

Looks great! However, is it really necessary to always exceed the stock transmission torque limit which is 406 ft lb, even on the base car? Why o why?
Old 06-08-2018, 10:59 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Looks great! However, is it really necessary to always exceed the stock transmission torque limit which is 406 ft lb, even on the base car? Why o why?
There's no way thats accurate. Porsche is fibbing on that.

Who are they kidding?
Old 06-09-2018, 12:24 AM
3DMetal
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 34 Posts

The 991.2 Carrera transmission is a shared platform with the Turbo, per the technical details document posted here. ( the one about the 991.2 ).
Considering the torquey nature of the 3.0TT, this makes sense.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:04 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Hey everyone! We are super excited to finally start talking about a release date for the 991.2 Carrera and Turbo/Turbo S. Next week we plan to share some information about how the process will work, as it is different from anything we've traditionally done. For now, let's talk about power gains! Below are a few charts to give you an idea of what type of power gains to expect with the 991.2 Carrera, Carrera S, and Carrera GTS. For a bit more information, head over to the COBB Blog.

991.2 Power Gains with Accessport Tuning

Once again, for more information head on over to the COBB Blog: https://www.cobbtuning.com/porsche-9...ssport-tuning/
this is amazing work. Basically a base carrera with the AP will have significantly more HP and torque than a a stock GTS. OH MY. this is very exciting. Especially with the conservative and reliable running Cobb is known for. Wow wow wow.

Last edited by tango131; 06-09-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:37 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't do it. Stock car (even base model) is plenty fast enough. The S/GTS is already 40% boosted power, while the base car is 20% (and praised for being more 'NA-like'). Now with a tune you're making it 60%? That's a really boosty engine...

The GTS 500 HP figure is meaningless. I'd look at the torque curves. After tuning base < S < GTS by very small margins.

I don't think its wise to push the PDK to 500 FT/LBS torque when specifications state its rated up to ~410... maybe there is a reason Porsche designed the engine to not past ~400 torque...

I'm pretty sure Cobb isn't going to be replacing your transmission when it explodes. Porsche wont either.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:40 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by tango131
Basically a base carrera with the AP will have significantly more HP and torque than a a stock GTS.… Especially with the conservative and reliable running Cobb is known for.

And with the standard car's turbochargers. Very curious about how the character of the power curve is in the real world vs the dyno sheet. If Cobb managed to keep the .2 Carrera's power curve character intact, or anywhere near it, this will be a very, very interesting mod as cars start coming out of warranty. And then there will always be those who are willing to risk that warranty for what they want, bless 'em.

Originally Posted by minthral
Don't do it. Stock car (even base model) is plenty fast enough. The S/GTS is already 40% boosted power, while the base car is 20% (and praised for being more 'NA-like'). Now with a tune you're making it 60%? That's a really boosty engine...

The GTS 500 HP figure is meaningless. I'd look at the torque curves. After tuning base < S < GTS by very small margins.

I don't think its wise to push the PDK to 500 FT/LBS torque when specifications state its rated up to ~410... maybe there is a reason Porsche designed the engine to not past ~400 torque...

I'm pretty sure Cobb isn't going to be replacing your transmission when it explodes. Porsche wont either.
In the old days, Porsche used to build everything to 2x the power. Those days are long gone, but the real questions are 1) what's the safety margin now? and 2) How does PAG test on the way up to that margin (extreme conditions, abusive, idiot-proofed, etc)?

Hear you on the power curves—much more interesting to me than the power itself. Color me curious, but also entirely happy with the stock "370" hp engine.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:09 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Let’s keep this strictly about the Cobb tune. If history is any indicator, this thread will get derailed quickly. I’m sure whoever is looking at this thread is trying to find more information. Without having to filter through an endless debate.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:49 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts

The GTS 500 HP figure is meaningless. I'd look at the torque curves. After tuning base < S < GTS by very small margins..
Most people want more power. Thats why we dont still have 200 hp motors.
I have a stock GTS, doesnt seem boosty or non-NA to me ( except for sound).
Nick Murrays tuned vs untuned S video appeared to impress him with the power difference.

It is true that around town, below 4000 rpms, that all three cars will have similar power outputs.
On the track ( above 5000 rpm) the three tunes separate significantly.

I assume, people that get these tunes know the risks.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:23 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Hear you on the power curves—much more interesting to me than the power itself. Color me curious, but also entirely happy with the stock "370" hp engine.
I can totally understand wanting more power, but when looking down at my speedo I remain thankful it's the "slow" 370 hp engine in my car.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:26 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
I can totally understand wanting more power, but when looking down at my speedo I remain thankful it's the "slow" 370 hp engine in my car.
And some are not which is why there is a market for tunes.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:46 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

The only way to truly tell is to drive stock vs Cobb back-to-back but from the charts it seems Cobb did a really really great job adding HP and torque without changing driving dynamic or shape of the curve. Definitely eager to hear user feedback.

Quick Reply: Cobb Tuning 991 Carrera S Dyno Results 991.2!!