New Member here, looking to get a used 991

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 02:39 PM
Stil_1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member here, looking to get a used 991

Greetings, everyone.

I'm looking forward to joining the community here. As a start, I'm looking to getting a used 991 4S in the 2013+ year range.

I'm currently in the Washington state, but haven't had too much luck looking for the perfect car.

I'm looking for one with the following:
  • Sport Chrono
  • Sports Exhaust
  • Sport design steering wheel
  • No power steering plus (I see a lot with this option)
  • Front aero kit. I like the GTS front end look.

Color and other options are flexible.

Am still torn on the PDK vs. Manual. I drove manual all my life except for my most recent car (2015 M3 with DCT) and kinda got used to it. Sometimes I miss the manual rowing, sometimes I dont, like when I'm stuck in traffic on the work commute.

This would be my first Porsche, so I want to look into finding out about the cars as much as I can. I have been lurking around the forums the past few weeks and have some questions.

Some questions I have are:
  • Are there any differences between 2013 and 2014 models? Edmunds doesn't list very much, but I'm looking for more silent changes that usually get done between model years.
  • Are there any concerns or issues that I should look out for in the 2013/2014 model year?
  • What dealers are recommended?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Stil_1; 03-28-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:49 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I should hope that if you have it for 13-14 years, you'll have put over 250k on the car and need a full rebuild. You'll have replaced many major components by then too... but those repair costs will probably be less than you've spent on tires, brakes, scheduled maintenance, etc.

I recommend adding SPASM and 14/18 way seats to your list, the basic seats don't have adjustable lumbar support and will give you lower back pain over time.

Edit: not too big of a deal if you find one without the SD steering wheel, you can buy it from Suncoast and swap for $1k, vs for instance the SPASM which is a cheap option but difficult or impossible to add after the fact.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:54 PM
Stil_1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I should hope that if you have it for 13-14 years, you'll have put over 250k on the car and need a full rebuild. You'll have replaced many major components by then too... but those repair costs will probably be less than you've spent on tires, brakes, scheduled maintenance, etc.

I recommend adding SPASM and 14/18 way seats to your list, the basic seats don't have adjustable lumbar support and will give you lower back pain over time.

Edit: not too big of a deal if you find one without the SD steering wheel, you can buy it from Suncoast and swap for $1k, vs for instance the SPASM which is a cheap option but difficult or impossible to add after the fact.
Ahh, sorry, I wasn't clear, when I meant 13-14 year, I meant the 2013 and 2014 model year of the car.

Thanks for the suggestion on SPASM and the 14/18 way seats. Most of the ones I see have Premium or Premium plus package too, so I'm guessing those would include the seats?

Question on the SPASM part. My house currently has a curb driveway where you have to drive up a slanted curb to get into the driveway. How is the ground clearance with the -20 mm height? What has been your experience with the front lip scraping?

Again, thanks for the suggestions
Old 03-28-2016, 03:03 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stil_1
Ahh, sorry, I wasn't clear, when I meant 13-14 year, I meant the 2013 and 2014 model year of the car.

Thanks for the suggestion on SPASM and the 14/18 way seats. Most of the ones I see have Premium or Premium plus package too, so I'm guessing those would include the seats?

Question on the SPASM part. My house currently has a curb driveway where you have to drive up a slanted curb to get into the driveway. How is the ground clearance with the -20 mm height? What has been your experience with the front lip scraping?

Don't concern yourself with PSE because you can add that on a S model for the same price as the factory option price. Power steering plus is a software option install. I would think it can be removed the same way.

The reason I mention this is because if the car is too specific it may be difficult to find.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:09 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Ah... yeah I think I missed the "the" in there. Still, it should be a great car for 13-14 years. The only big issue I know of is about 5% of the PDKs seem to blow up in the first couple hundred miles, so if it has more than that you should be good.

I'm not sure... on my '12 it says "premium package plus i.c.w. 14 way seats" so I think there's a discount on the seats with the premium or premium plus package, so most people order them together.

If the roads you drive on are generally good, you shouldn't have an issue. Usually a hefty driveway slant requires a mega approach angle and near zero approach speed to drive up without a scrape, but once you get used to it it's pretty easy. I think the bigger issue is if the roads everywhere have crazy angles instead of being flat, you can't realistically slow and take everything at an angle like you can on a driveway. That being said, I have the standard PASM lip, which mostly just juts out in the front and not the sides. If you have the SD lip, it might be a little trickier because you have less clearance on the sides. Many San Francisco types seem to hate the SPASM, but in the Sacramento region I have zero issues. If you spend a lot of time driving around downtown Seattle you might want to stick with the normal suspension, but I'd say the majority of WAs roads wouldn't be an issue.

Of course. Congrats on deciding to pick up the best car in the world, you'll love it.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:07 PM
Stil_1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dewinator
If the roads you drive on are generally good, you shouldn't have an issue. Usually a hefty driveway slant requires a mega approach angle and near zero approach speed to drive up without a scrape, but once you get used to it it's pretty easy. I think the bigger issue is if the roads everywhere have crazy angles instead of being flat, you can't realistically slow and take everything at an angle like you can on a driveway. That being said, I have the standard PASM lip, which mostly just juts out in the front and not the sides. If you have the SD lip, it might be a little trickier because you have less clearance on the sides. Many San Francisco types seem to hate the SPASM, but in the Sacramento region I have zero issues. If you spend a lot of time driving around downtown Seattle you might want to stick with the normal suspension, but I'd say the majority of WAs roads wouldn't be an issue.
Thanks, I mostly drive around smooth roads with some speed bumps in residential area. I do work in downtown seattle/fremont area, but mostly in a flat area, my main worry is some places I go to eat have a parking lot entrance that makes me take pause even in the M3 (never scrape, but just looked scary)

Originally Posted by petee1997
Don't concern yourself with PSE because you can add that on a S model for the same price as the factory option price. Power steering plus is a software option install. I would think it can be removed the same way.

The reason I mention this is because if the car is too specific it may be difficult to find.
Very true. How much was the PSE to install for say a 2013 or 2014 model? I been reading around 3200-4000 dollar install price for OEM PSE. Is that about right? Any good shops for that in the WA area? What about comparing that to installing an aftermarket exhaust if I decide I don't need the button?
Old 03-28-2016, 05:03 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, I mostly drive around smooth roads with some speed bumps in residential area. I do work in downtown seattle/fremont area, but mostly in a flat area, my main worry is some places I go to eat have a parking lot entrance that makes me take pause even in the M3 (never scrape, but just looked scary)

Very true. How much was the PSE to install for say a 2013 or 2014 model? I been reading around 3200-4000 dollar install price for OEM PSE. Is that about right? Any good shops for that in the WA area? What about comparing that to installing an aftermarket exhaust if I decide I don't need the button?
I had PSE installed on my 13 991.1 S Cab at the dealer. It cost me $3,150 CAN in 2014. The kit costs less on the S model because some of the parts are already on the car. The kit was discounted 15% and there was four hours labor.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:13 PM
Stil_1
Instructor

Thanks. That's a bit Cheaper than I thought.

Last edited by Stil_1; 03-28-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:44 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This subject has been discussed to death. Here are some links.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8615...de-height.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9189...w-o-spasm.html

I am OP of the second link. I wish I would have ordered it but to late now.

The difference between PASM and SPASM is only 10mm. It is 20mm between a Base model and a car with SPASM.

That was a great reply by Dewinator!

Last edited by arlan in arizona; 03-28-2016 at 06:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-28-2016, 07:27 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

As for power steering plus, easily removed or added by the dealer. I had it done a month after buying my car with it. Cost to remove was one hour of dealer labor. Cost to add it would be the option price +1 hour of labor probably. I think the option was about $300.

In other words, don't pass on an otherwise good car because it has PSP.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:37 PM
Stil_1
Instructor

Thanks guys.

I am looking around. Here's some I'm finding, but a bit a of a drive to Oregon.

http://www.grandprimotors.com/detail...10245964?cid=5
This one seems to have all the options I would look for. I saw that it was originally bought at Park place, but sold back to auction shortly after a check at Bellevue Porsche. Not sure if that's a red flag or not. Park place says they found problems with the car.

https://sunset.porschedealer.com/cer...05872/info.php
This one seems like a good deal, a 2015 with 13k miles, CPO.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:10 PM
Stil_1
Instructor

Originally Posted by arlan in arizona
This subject has been discussed to death. Here are some links.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8615...de-height.html

I am OP of the second link. I wish I would have ordered it but to late now.

The difference between PASM and SPASM is only 10mm. It is 20mm between a Base model and a car with SPASM.

That was a great reply by Dewinator!
Wow looks like that conversation is still beating around. Thanks for the links, gives me more things to think about.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:41 PM
gusp
Instructor

Why specifically no power steering plus? It only kicks in at very low speed, like when pulling out of a tight parking space.

I have SPASM and it's awesome. I rarely scrape anymore. You will learn its limits and adjust your driving accordingly. Basically just go slow, and take it at an angle.

After you beat up the lip enough, just pop it off and pop on a new one in seconds. It's a $200 part from Suncoast.

Last edited by gusp; 03-28-2016 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Last sentence got cut off
Old 03-28-2016, 10:54 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by gusp
Why specifically no power steering plus? It only kicks in at very low speed, like when pulling out of a tight parking space.
For me (not the OP, but the guy who posted how to remove it) I hated the feel. Very artificial and overboosted. Non linear. And "very low speeds" is anything under 35mph, iirc. Feel is everything to me where steering is concerned, even in parking lots. I want my steering to feel like a sportscar to me, which means unboosted or underboosted. Performance-wise it doesn't matter a bit, of course, in parking lot driving -- not like I'm going to run into another car because the steering's overboosted. It's just all about the feel -- I want to have to tug a little to get the car to move at low speeds, because up until a decade ago or less, any sportscar worth having made you do this. Ergo, the absence of that tug makes my brain think one thing: Sedan deVille.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:21 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gusp
I have SPASM and it's awesome. I rarely scrape anymore. You will learn its limits and adjust your driving accordingly. Basically just go slow, and take it at an angle.
OP, i'll save you the reading....while helpful the advice above isn't entirely accurate nor true. not everyone's roads, conditions, entry ways are the same. it all depends on your day to day instances, just know that it could happen, frequency not determined.

as for searching out your car, get acquainted with Google, AutoTrader, Cars.com, RL, Pelican, PCA, Hemmings, etc. post a "want to buy" ad here at RL or other sites. the hunt is part of the fun.

best success,

Quick Reply: New Member here, looking to get a used 991